The Barr Has Been Raised at UMaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

How's about a "free" stream, and sell ads up the framma-zamma..?

Does ANYONE pay for streams outright anymore? There's definitely more profit to be had in calling it "free" and soaking the hucksters, while all the purported viewers are either taking BR breaks, making another highball, or taking the pup out for a hot-squat while the ads drone on.

Advertisers just don't get it... Why not just take their dollars and run?
    That's the Learfield model. Listening to a broadcast is a 3 hour commercial interrupted occasionally by hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearinGopherLand View Post
      It is too bad the University cannot figure out new revenue streams for hockey. They have a journalism and broadcasting school, why not produce their own live game coverage and stream it and charge either monthly or per game like NCHCTV.

It's a nice model they have but all teams participate, even the one's that already have a local TV agreement as it helps the other member schools save by using the home teams feed so they have no travel expenses. Would benefit the students in the J&B school and the U in revenue.
      For me the bigger shame is the state/school doesn’t fund the athletic department properly. Our state higher education system could be run so much better but isn’t because of how life was 50 years ago.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

He had a pretty decent NHL career, too. (Rolleyes.)

And then you had Lundin and this other guy, Ben Bishop.

Coaching at the college level is primarily about bringing in talent, seems to me.

Tim did that, Red never did.
        Grant did that?
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

That's the Learfield model. Listening to a broadcast is a 3 hour commercial interrupted occasionally by hockey.
          Well, nobody had to buy what turned-out to be an unwatchable stream, either.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

Grant did that?
            Please. It was at least a joint effort, and we're looking at a roster that was post-Grant, ain't we?

Not going to pick nits, because it's beyond obvious that the preceding staff recruited WAAAAAY better then Red did.

Barr has an empty toolbox now, clearly. We'll have to see if there's any incremental improvement during the next few years.

Not going to get my panties in a bunch over this year's disaster, because it was going to happen even if Jesus himself tried to coach this crew of cast-offs.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-01-2021, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Fishman'81;n3697660]

Well, nobody had to buy what turned-out to be an unwatchable stream that they already paid a premium for, either.

Free, HD streams are becoming commonplace these days, and it's pretty easy to ignore the feeble attempts to sell you a used car.

I say: bring it on at Maine! Hammond Lumber alone will pay for the bulk of it, God bless 'em.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

That actually seems to be more of a Maine issue than a national Learfield issue. They have a great app (the Varsity Network) that lets you listen free to any of their affiliated schools' broadcasts in any sport (plus coaching shows, and they had an NFL Red Zone type thing going for college football Saturdays). I noted two things:

1. No school other than Maine football did that stupid fake crowd noise ****.
                2. The commercial load varied wildly from school to school.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toronto_1 View Post
                  Maine recruit Xavier Henry recently changed his commitment to UVM. He's from Toronto and attended St. Andrew's Prep before heading to the BCHL. That's the same school as another Maine recruit, Grayson Arnott. Anybody have any insight at to why the switch was made? Thanks!
                  Could be a number of reasons. He wasn't recruited by Barr so perhaps he feels no allegiance to the Maine program. Maybe Vermont was also recruiting him at the same time Maine was? He is a big player at 6-5 and 201. He appears to be a physical player with 25 PIM in 15 games so far this season. Discipline? Perhaps he is not the type of player Barr is looking for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post

Could be a number of reasons. He wasn't recruited by Barr so perhaps he feels no allegiance to the Maine program. Maybe Vermont was also recruiting him at the same time Maine was? He is a big player at 6-5 and 201. He appears to be a physical player with 25 PIM in 15 games so far this season. Discipline? Perhaps he is not the type of player Barr is looking for?
                    Whatever the reason for the breakup in commitment, him going to a terrible program like Vermont suggests he might not be high on may program's radar.

Comment

• I see Andy Moore committed to Northeastern today, I wonder if Ben offered him? Maine’s obviously got a lot of kids committed but would have been nice to see him in blue. Haven’t been many Maine kids at the DI level in recent times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post

Whatever the reason for the breakup in commitment, him going to a terrible program like Vermont suggests he might not be high on may program's radar.
                        I got the impression he would have been decent enough, maybe a Bisson type player or something like that but think with the kids Maine has committed it isn’t much of a loss. It’s the goalies and forwards I worry about.

Comment

That crossed my mind, as well... It ain't like he bailed on Maine for North Dakota.

Comment

I wouldnt call vt a terrible program anymore. They have some fast, young, skilled kids brought in by woodcroft. I have a feeling he'll rebuild that program to be competitive in HE. Maine will have their hands full this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

I wouldnt call vt a terrible program anymore. They have some fast, young, skilled kids brought in by woodcroft. I have a feeling he'll rebuild that program to be competitive in HE. Maine will have their hands full this weekend.
                              This end-stage Red team would have its hands full against The Little Sisters of the Poor "Fightin' Altar Boys".

Maine wouldn't be a solid Vegas favorite over ANYONE right now. Our program has hit rock-bottom.
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-02-2021, 09:15 PM.

Comment

This end-stage Red team would have its hands full against The Little Sisters of the Poor "Fightin' Altar Boys".

Maine wouldn't be a solid Vegas favorite over ANYONE right now. Our program has hit rock-bottom.
                                At least with rock bottom theres only one direction to go! That is aside from a burial.

Comment

Working...
                                X