The Barr Has Been Raised at UMaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by walrus View Post

Larry has looked like that his whole career, I think he likes that old style I've been up all night beat reporter look. Larry is a nice guy and fun to talk to at Alfond before a game. Now if we could get Dan Hannigan back on the radio
    Oh I know what Larry's mo is......this was over-the-top. It was the stuff of nightmares.

He might be interesting to talk to.....but he don't know jack for being around college hockey and the area for 30+ years. He didn't even have Barr in his list of candidates. Duh!

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
      He didn't even have Barr in his list of candidates. Duh!
      Up until last week, the UMaine mentality had been to only seriously consider those from the so-called Walshy coaching tree. So Mahoney used that as his guide, it's not like it wasn't a tried-and-true method based on past results. The choice of Barr flew in the face of past UMaine conventional wisdom, that can't be understated, and you gotta give AD Ralph credit for that.

As a UNH fan, I'm frankly jealous not only of UMaine getting a real go-getter type for your new HC, but also for having an AD with a pair who's not afraid to upset the applecart to get to the right hire.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Up until last week, the UMaine mentality had been to only seriously consider those from the so-called Walshy coaching tree. So Mahoney used that as his guide, it's not like it wasn't a tried-and-true method based on past results. The choice of Barr flew in the face of past UMaine conventional wisdom, that can't be understated, and you gotta give AD Ralph credit for that.

As a UNH fan, I'm frankly jealous not only of UMaine getting a real go-getter type for your new HC, but also for having an AD with a pair who's not afraid to upset the applecart to get to the right hire.
        Barr coached under Leaman who coached under Walsh.
        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by kahunak View Post
          UMASS fan here- not sure what the issues are in Orono if any, but if Barr needs to address things and he follows Carvel's approach, there will be a lot of turnover in the players. Carvel's approach was that he did not want any a**h***s on the team so many were moved on. That is why in his first year UMASS won only 5 games. In the long run, that approach paid big dividends. Of course, at the time, he was not under the spotlight like Barr will be at Maine.
          He did the same thing at PC
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post

Barr coached under Leaman who coached under Walsh.
            And one of the first people he coached with was Jim Montgomery who is obviously part of Shawn’s tree. Barr had known Ken Ralph for a long time as well. I’m really happy with him but it’s completley wrong to label him as an outsider.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

If anybody knows Chuck personally they should check in on him. His account here has been hacked - he's actually making a bit of sense in his last couple posts.
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Alfie is a disciple of Grant Standbrook.
                There can be no greater recommendation for an assistant coach than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

And one of the first people he coached with was Jim Montgomery who is obviously part of Shawn’s tree. Barr had known Ken Ralph for a long time as well. I’m really happy with him but it’s completley wrong to label him as an outsider.
                  Has he ever been part of Maine hockey? He is an outsider
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Has he ever been part of Maine hockey? He is an outsider
                    Agreed Wally. Although it is interesting to see some of the folks on here trying to draw Barr into the Walshy coaching tree by using the brand-new "Three Degrees of Shawn Walsh" method, taken from the more widely-known "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" meme used for Hollywood connections.

Barr is an RPI guy, through and through. Played there, got his start in coaching there, and that's where he crossed paths with Ralph and Monty. Met up with Leaman (previously a short term UMaine volunteer assistant) at Union, before he followed him to Providence. Not denying Leaman was influenced by Walshy, but I think it's really a stretch to extend that influence to Barr. All of those guys do have an apparent common trait of fearlessness, but that's hardly unique to Walshy.

If the RPI job opens up again, it might be the only D-1 job Barr considers leaving UMaine for ... ?
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Agreed Wally. Although it is interesting to see some of the folks on here trying to draw Barr into the Walshy coaching tree by using the brand-new "Three Degrees of Shawn Walsh" method, taken from the more widely-known "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" meme used for Hollywood connections.

Barr is an RPI guy, through and through. Played there, got his start in coaching there, and that's where he crossed paths with Ralph and Monty. Met up with Leaman (previously a short term UMaine volunteer assistant) at Union, before he followed him to Providence. Not denying Leaman was influenced by Walshy, but I think it's really a stretch to extend that influence to Barr. All of those guys do have an apparent common trait of fearlessness, but that's hardly unique to Walshy.

If the RPI job opens up again, it might be the only D-1 job Barr considers leaving UMaine for ... ?
                      I think with any coach, leaving for an alma mater is always a risk but if Barr builds something at Maine, I don’t think it’s likely that he leaves for another rebuild.

It’s also probably a tougher rebuild than Maine as they have the scholarship limit. He’s at a hockey East school which there isn’t really a ceiling for. It’s a top 2 conference in the country. In my opinion, all of the hockey East schools with the exception of maybe Merrimack could be powerhouses with the right coaches in place. The state schools have the fan bases and the city schools have that going for them.

Really enjoyed my trip to Houston Field House when I went to see Maine in 2017, I would recommend for any college hockey fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

I think with any coach, leaving for an alma mater is always a risk but if Barr builds something at Maine, I don’t think it’s likely that he leaves for another rebuild.

It’s also probably a tougher rebuild than Maine as they have the scholarship limit. He’s at a hockey East school which there isn’t really a ceiling for. It’s a top 2 conference in the country. In my opinion, all of the hockey East schools with the exception of maybe Merrimack could be powerhouses with the right coaches in place. The state schools have the fan bases and the city schools have that going for them.

Really enjoyed my trip to Houston Field House when I went to see Maine in 2017, I would recommend for any college hockey fan.
                        I missed out on that in 2017 but hope to go next time round.

I think the more realistic scenario than him going to RPI is he goes to a bigger school that offers him $500K a year. Hopefully him and his wife like the Bangor area but I wouldn’t be completely shocked if they’re more lukewarm than absolutely love it. I say that with no knowledge of where she is from/spent her life. I doubt at this point in his life he has the same passion for RPI he had five or ten years ago.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I missed out on that in 2017 but hope to go next time round.

I think the more realistic scenario than him going to RPI is he goes to a bigger school that offers him $500K a year. Hopefully him and his wife like the Bangor area but I wouldn’t be completely shocked if they’re more lukewarm than absolutely love it. I say that with no knowledge of where she is from/spent her life. I doubt at this point in his life he has the same passion for RPI he had five or ten years ago.
                          Agreed, that’s a good problem to have to though. I don’t see him potentially jumping at an NHL job as he never played professionally.

He hasn’t spent his career in the most happening places in the world so I think Bangor should stack up pretty well. He seems very family-centric which is another plus in that regard.(that was a pretty cool moment for his dad and him at the press conference). I don’t know that the big school brand is important to him, obviously money talks but he’s spent his career at schools that aren’t necessarily “hockey schools”. The biggest risk in my opinion is him and his family not loving the area. Winning solves a lot of those issues so we'll have to wait and see.

I could see him being more interested in Leaman’s trajectory where he’s coaching world juniors and still having his college gig.

Comment

• Barr is from Minnesota so that might be one school that he would leave for. I'd also put Wisconsin, Michigan, Notre Dame.....and maybe BC in Hockey East as other possibilities.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

RPI has the same scholarship limit as Maine, 18, so I'm not sure what you mean by that

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post

RPI has the same scholarship limit as Maine, 18, so I'm not sure what you mean by that
                                My apologies, I don’t know why I’ve always thought that, but after some fact checking, looks like it’s just the Ivy League and Union that don’t allow athletic. For some reason I thought the ECAC didn’t allow the rest of the schools to carry the full 18 but I’m mistaken.

The ECAC has definitely closed the gap on hockey east. RPI’s position and situation isn’t all that different to Maine’s. That rink deserves to rock. Like Maine, you can tell there are real college hockey fans there.

Comment

Working...
                                X