This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Well, I wouldn't necessarily call it a "gimmick". The athleticism of modern players has rendered a lot of the traditional rules obsolete.

I remember when a two-line pass stopped play. That was a vestige of a bygone era. Maybe the 5x5 OT is cut from the same cloth.
    The game changes over time, doesnt it.
    Admittetly not a big fan of the 3x3 at this point but its part of the game and Im staying to watch it anyway, an old dog trying something new I guess. Will see if it takes root with ncaa. The players seem to like it or so they say.
    It does seem to be meeting its goal so fans dont leave a game with an unresolved tie, you leave either grumbling about losing in ot or happy with the win. Well "win", just an extra point if it goes to shootout. The team seems to get a boost from the "win".
    Last edited by NorthMike; 11-26-2021, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

The game changes over time, doesnt it.
      Admittetly not a big fan of the 3x3 at this point but its part of the game and Im staying to watch it anyway, an old dog trying something new I guess. Will see if it takes root with ncaa. The players seem to like it or so they say.
      It does seem to be meeting its goal so fans dont leave a game with an unresolved tie, you leave either grumbling about losing in ot or happy with the win. Well "win", just an extra point if it goes to shootout. The team seems to get a boost from the "win".
      To be clear, I still hate shoot-outs.

A 3x3 OT is a much better option than that, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

To be clear, I still hate shoot-outs.

A 3x3 OT is a much better option than that, IMO.
        I agree. Players like it because of the open ice and the opportunity to show their skills. I have heard that some coaches don't like it because it favors the more skilled team. My response is if the team with more skill is favored why didn't they win in regulation?

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post

I agree. Players like it because of the open ice and the opportunity to show their skills. I have heard that some coaches don't like it because it favors the more skilled team. My response is if the team with more skill is favored why didn't they win in regulation?
          Because in regulation there are 10 skaters clogging up the limited space. In a 3x3 OT the more skilled players have lots of open ice and a better chance to be creative. It doesn't necessarily favor the more skilled *team* though, as it only takes one or two players to dominate that mode, rather than a better team that has several lines of depth and solid defensemen.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            Because in regulation there are 10 skaters clogging up the limited space. In a 3x3 OT the more skilled players have lots of open ice and a better chance to be creative. It doesn't necessarily favor the more skilled *team* though, as it only takes one or two players to dominate that mode, rather than a better team that has several lines of depth and solid defensemen.
            Precisely this. It's also why the 3x3 (or even 4x4) OT format is a no-go in postseason play.

I've never seen the need to resolve all ties anyway, beyond a 5 or 10 minute OT period.

In relatively low-scoring games, ties will happen. Regular season ties, no big deal.

I agree 100% with the poster(s) who called it a gimmick. JMHO.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I’d have to agree with most of this as well. I think for most of us on here who follow the team so closely, it’s absolutely crushing to see your team lose on a gimmick. I really like 3x3 in the nhl but I don’t follow it as closely. The shootouts should just be gone all together.
              The other issue with overtime in college is how the records reflect wins and losses. A 3x3 overtime win is a win and a shootout isn’t? And there’s 3x3 for out of conference play and the winner gets a win? I never had a problem with the ties, if neither team deserves it then let them split the points.

Here’s to hoping Maine can grab their first regulation win today.

Comment

• 1-0 Lowell after one.

Pro tip for the fans: Wave at the camera, not the video screen...

Comment

• Tough to elaborate on just how bad Maine's PP is. 8% coming into tonight, probably about 5% now

Comment

• J.S.S. needs to understand the fact he’s not playing for Red anymore, regardless of what Larry says….
                    $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                    Just win.....

Comment

• You can't win if you can't score and Maine has no offense.

Comment

• I only saw after they replaced the glass so can’t comment on anything before that. My biggest takeaway was why weren’t more people wearing masks? It looked like it was only about 10% which is shocking given where Maine is right now. A lot of people can’t get healthcare and some hospitals are maxed out because of Covid. Were masks not required or were people ignoring the rules?

Its very disappointing to see Maine get shutout again but it seems like they put in a decent enough effort. It is never pretty playing Lowell.

Two massive weekends coming up with four great chances to win. It would be nice to see Maine get at least three wins. Is there a chance Union isn’t allowed to come? Larry mentioned something about there being some sort of new rules in NY.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          I only saw after they replaced the glass so can’t comment on anything before that. My biggest takeaway was why weren’t more people wearing masks? It looked like it was only about 10% which is shocking given where Maine is right now. A lot of people can’t get healthcare and some hospitals are maxed out because of Covid. Were masks not required or were people ignoring the rules?

Its very disappointing to see Maine get shutout again but it seems like they put in a decent enough effort. It is never pretty playing Lowell.

Two massive weekends coming up with four great chances to win. It would be nice to see Maine get at least three wins. Is there a chance Union isn’t allowed to come? Larry mentioned something about there being some sort of new rules in NY.
                          I have a procedure scheduled at the Brighton Ave hospital this week and even though I am double vaxxed with the booster I still have to have a test Monday. When I had the same procedure two weeks ago they did not require the test, so things are getting worse. It wouldn't shock me if more games suffered the BC/ND fate of this weekend. I feel like Winters in episode 10 of "Band of Brothers" when he lamented that the war was over and his men were still dying. We have a vaccine; it should be under control and yet this disease keeps hanging around and killing people.

I only saw a little but what I saw Maine played well. Very unlucky not to score on the back to back power plays in the third. A couple of high quality chances there. The bounces just aren't going Maine's way (see: Sacred Heart game). The players have to knuckle down and keep at it. Eventually those breaks will come. The danger is if they give up out of frustration. This could be a very long season if that happens.

On another note, I'm very disappointed in the new media guide. Gone are the records vs season opponents, all time records against each school, the tally of goal scorers and winning goalies in each game and worst of all the record of every game Maine has played. Also, any mention of Maine's previous appearances in the NCAA tournament (which Maine won twice, as I recall, but the media guide doesn't mention it). All down the memory hole.
                          Last edited by ticapnews; 11-27-2021, 07:58 PM.

Comment

On another note, I'm very disappointed in the new media guide. Gone are the records vs season opponents, all time records against each school, the tally of goal scorers and winning goalies in each game and worst of all the record of every game Maine has played. Also, any mention of Maine's previous appearances in the NCAA tournament (which Maine won twice, as I recall, but the media guide doesn't mention it). All down the memory hole.
                            It's no surprise that Maine can only consistently win games in one or two sports when the entire athletic department is operated on a paperclip and pocket lint.

At some point, the University of Maine needs to decide if it wants to act like it has a Division I athletics program or not. And if the answer is "not" then fine, just bag this whole thing.

Comment

I have a procedure scheduled at the Brighton Ave hospital this week and even though I am double vaxxed with the booster I still have to have a test Monday. When I had the same procedure two weeks ago they did not require the test, so things are getting worse. It wouldn't shock me if more games suffered the BC/ND fate of this weekend. I feel like Winters in episode 10 of "Band of Brothers" when he lamented that the war was over and his men were still dying. We have a vaccine; it should be under control and yet this disease keeps hanging around and killing people.

I only saw a little but what I saw Maine played well. Very unlucky not to score on the back to back power plays in the third. A couple of high quality chances there. The bounces just aren't going Maine's way (see: Sacred Heart game). The players have to knuckle down and keep at it. Eventually those breaks will come. The danger is if they give up out of frustration. This could be a very long season if that happens.

I read that masks and vaccine records were required for the game. Surprising that the Cross center didnt enforce the masks, especially in portland. Cumby county is having a surge too.

I noticed the media guide missing big pieces of history a few weeks ago. Didnt understand that.

Comment

Data drawn from Johns Hopkins shows average daily US deaths heading steadily down over the last 60 days, and sharply so in the last week or so. Obviously data across various areas of the country varies, but overall the data is telling us there is good news on a bigger scale. Even the peak back in September was significantly lower than the peaks we hit back in 2020.

Daily confirmed COVID-19 deaths, rolling 7-day average (ourworldindata.org)

Not contesting your personal experience, or the Downeast Maine experience right now - just offering data that is objective and reliable, and not being massaged by national media narratives ...
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X