X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amkirby10
    replied
    Corey Pronman from The Athletic released his latest NHL Draft rankings, on which he had Bradley Nadeau ranked as the #28 prospect in the draft.

Skating: Above NHL average
    Puck Skills: NHL average
    Hockey Sense: NHL average
    Compete: NHL average
    Shot: High-end

"Nadeau has very good individual skill to couple with excellent speed. He’s quite dangerous in transition due to that combination. He can skate by and beat a lot defenders, but he’s also excellent at creating with space. He sees the ice at a high level, making a lot of seam passes and making tough passes on the move. On the power play he can make a lot of plays, but it’s his shot that’s a real weapon. He has an excellent one-timer that projects to beat NHL goalies from distance. His shot is both very quick, and fast, as he rifles pucks into the corners like a legit NHL scorer. Nadeau isn’t the biggest winger and he can play on the perimeter a tad too much, but his compete is good enough — especially with his skating and offense — that I think he plays and scores in the league as a middle-six winger."

Leave a comment:

• BlackBearFan19
    replied
    Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

Well, like Wally said, nobody here qualifies as an expert in recruiting. But I think I like the look of his stats at least. He's 22nd in the NAHL in scoring, and 9th in goals, and close to a PPG player. He has more goals than assists this year, which tells me he's probably more of a shoot first player, which is exactly what Maine needs. He had a hat trick a couple games ago on the road against Oklahoma, the best team in the league. The usual caveat about not seeing him play applies as always, but the stats seem decent enough even if the NAHL isn't an elite league like the USHL is. I'll be interested to see if he arrives this year or next, since he's a March '03 birthday.
    This kid looks promising and we’ve had some really good luck recently with players out of the NAHL. Most of the have been defensemen but I think that league has come a long way.

My guess is he’ll come to Orono in 2024, maybe he heads back to the USHL next year for some stiffer competition. Even if he doesn’t, it should be noted that some high level forwards have come to hockey east from the NAHL the past few years and done well, most notably would be Skoog from BU, LeClerc from UNH and Henbrant for us.

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackbear96 View Post
    I saw Maine picked up a commitment from a forward from the New Mexico Ice Wolves, Sully Scholle. Unsure of year / etc / as I'm truthfully not very good with deciphering whether a recruit is good or not, but figured I'd drop the info in case others wanted to dive in further!
    Well, like Wally said, nobody here qualifies as an expert in recruiting. But I think I like the look of his stats at least. He's 22nd in the NAHL in scoring, and 9th in goals, and close to a PPG player. He has more goals than assists this year, which tells me he's probably more of a shoot first player, which is exactly what Maine needs. He had a hat trick a couple games ago on the road against Oklahoma, the best team in the league. The usual caveat about not seeing him play applies as always, but the stats seem decent enough even if the NAHL isn't an elite league like the USHL is. I'll be interested to see if he arrives this year or next, since he's a March '03 birthday.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    No one on here is good at that : ) Sometimes coaches aren't good at it either : )
    https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe.../sully-scholle

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear96
    replied
    I saw Maine picked up a commitment from a forward from the New Mexico Ice Wolves, Sully Scholle. Unsure of year / etc / as I'm truthfully not very good with deciphering whether a recruit is good or not, but figured I'd drop the info in case others wanted to dive in further!

Leave a comment:

• Fishman'81
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Going to be tough Friday night with no game and really sad to see the season coming to an end. Obviously Maine is a huge favorite Wednesday but if Holt, Arnott, and Bruneski are all out it’s not the sure thing it would be if they were healthy. Maine definitely has a shot Saturday but it’s hard to feel great about playing at Matthews.
    Maine isn't a "huge" favorite against The Little Sisters of the Poor, but they should get by UVM.

(Or not.)

This is still a work in progress.

Leave a comment:

• UncleRay
    replied

either way he has consistently put up good or better numbers on teams that have ranged from average to horrific in quality.
    "Average to horrific" - he should do well at Maine then!

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Ten coming in not counting goalies.
    How many will be leaving will be interesting.
    Six Seniors, four could come back for a fifth year.
    Definitely two moving on.
    Heisenberg also has Berzins listed as "2023 or 2024", but with three goalies on the roster who are all juniors and with him just barely breaking into the USHL, I thought it was more likely he waits a year.

Calafiore and Remick also dont have NLIs signed, and Weis has only played a single game this year. I wonder if one or more of them won't make it to Orono at all, especially Remick without an NLI signed and unimpressive NAHL stats.

Leave a comment:

• NorthMike
    replied
    Researching Berzins inspired me to revisit my recruiting spreadsheet, which I hadn't updated since last June. Here's my latest version, with a few new tweaks, like the record of the player's current team, their NLI/LOI status according to the Heisenberg spreadsheet, and a few others. Stats are for the player's most recent team only, if they changed teams in the middle of the season I didn't include their old team's stats. The colors represent the expected arrival date of the player, and within each color the players are sorted by age, oldest to youngest. I went with Heisenberg's expected arrival date, and if he had none or more than one listed, I picked what I thought was most likely. Let me know if you have any other feedback.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Ten coming in not counting goalies.
    How many will be leaving will be interesting.
    Six Seniors, four could come back for a fifth year.
    Definitely two moving on.

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied
    Researching Berzins inspired me to revisit my recruiting spreadsheet, which I hadn't updated since last June. Here's my latest version, with a few new tweaks, like the record of the player's current team, their NLI/LOI status according to the Heisenberg spreadsheet, and a few others. Stats are for the player's most recent team only, if they changed teams in the middle of the season I didn't include their old team's stats. The colors represent the expected arrival date of the player, and within each color the players are sorted by age, oldest to youngest. I went with Heisenberg's expected arrival date, and if he had none or more than one listed, I picked what I thought was most likely. Let me know if you have any other feedback.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    He has his good nights. then he wets the bed.

Not the answer going forward, IMO.

I still think Ostman is a very good and capable goaltender, but your post got me interested in checking out what's in the pipeline for goalie. And I think Patriks Berzins is a guy we could get really excited about.

First thing that jumped out at me was his SV% of 0.920 while also having a GAA of 3.67, which prompted me to look at the team he was on. They went 2-41-5 this season. Now he's in the USHL playing for Tri City (24-16-5), where he's put up a 1.89 GAA and a 0.914 SV%, in the admittedly still small sample size of 7 games. He also played in the World Juniors for Latvia this past year, where he was pretty good (2.47 GAA, 0.914 SV%) for a team that only scored four (4) goals, finished last in their group, and was nearly relegated. He's also still just 19 years old as an August '03 birthday. I don't know if he'll come to Orono this coming fall, or if they'll push him back a year, but either way he has consistently put up good or better numbers on teams that have ranged from average to horrific in quality. He's one to watch in my book.

Edit: corrected Tri-City's record this season.
    Last edited by amkirby10; 03-05-2023, 11:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BlackBearFan19
    replied

Not often lately I find myself agreeing with Drew, but in this case I concur. I'm considering going on Saturday night if they win on Wednesday, but Maine winning is really unlikely and I can't stand NU so it would probably just make me angry. I'm on the fence.
    I’m planning to go on Saturday if they win Wednesday. Never been to Matthews and always have wanted to go. It would be cool to see a lot of Maine fans show up. I’m probably in the minority but I think Northeastern is a decent matchup.

Leave a comment:

• Fishman'81
    replied
    [QUOTE=BlackBearFan19;n3794490]

Ostman has earned the right to finish out the game on an off night. He wasn’t sharp but I’ve seen worse.

He has his good nights. then he wets the bed.

Not the answer going forward, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Going to be tough Friday night with no game and really sad to see the season coming to an end. Obviously Maine is a huge favorite Wednesday but if Holt, Arnott, and Bruneski are all out it’s not the sure thing it would be if they were healthy. Maine definitely has a shot Saturday but it’s hard to feel great about playing at Matthews.
    Not often lately I find myself agreeing with Drew, but in this case I concur. I'm considering going on Saturday night if they win on Wednesday, but Maine winning is really unlikely and I can't stand NU so it would probably just make me angry. I'm on the fence.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X