X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chickod
    replied
    Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

Does Red get any credit for recruiting him, or did he get lost on I-95 on his way to Boston and just wander into Alfond Arena by mistake?
    Can you get from Alaska to Orono on I-95? Might have to take I-90 first... (just a little humor...sorry, since we can't use the emojis anymore there isn't the same impact)

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied
    Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

Jeremy. Swayman.
    Does Red get any credit for recruiting him, or did he get lost on I-95 on his way to Boston and just wander into Alfond Arena by mistake?

Leave a comment:

• Joe peter
    replied
    Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

Jeremy. Swayman.
    Fossier
    Doherty
    Tralmaks
    Dawe
    Sirota
    etc.

Leave a comment:

• KrbFlint
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe peter View Post
    I honestly don't get all this 'the team was awful' narrative. Going into covid the team was fourth in HE and about to host a home playoff. Not sure how you can count the next year which was all on the road, then Red passes. The 2019-20 team was good and they were on the path to further improvement. Sure it took Red a few years longer to get the team to 4th place, but they were there. I'm not a fan of all this revisionist history that they've been terrible and nothing else.
    Jeremy. Swayman.

Leave a comment:

• Joe peter
    replied
    I honestly don't get all this 'the team was awful' narrative. Going into covid the team was fourth in HE and about to host a home playoff. Not sure how you can count the next year which was all on the road, then Red passes. The 2019-20 team was good and they were on the path to further improvement. Sure it took Red a few years longer to get the team to 4th place, but they were there. I'm not a fan of all this revisionist history that they've been terrible and nothing else.

Leave a comment:

• BoSox3066
    replied
    One year closer to mattering again. There were some encourging signs. Barr took a kid off the scrap heap and got him on the all rookie team. Some of the weekend splits show me he’s the best tactical coach we’ve had since Shawn. Add his recruiting vision 1-2 years down the line and we’re in business. Just time between now and then

Leave a comment:

• AMC
    replied
    I keep using the fixing a decrepit house metaphor.

This year Barr tore the whole thing down to the studs.

Next year, start rebuilding the bones.

2023-24 you can start looking at it as a house again.

Leave a comment:

• NorthMike
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I’m a big believer in ‘don’t change a winning team’ but didn’t feel great about Thiessen getting the start. That was one of those where it was kind of a no win situation for Barr. I’m not sure if Ostman was in net it would have changed the outcome though.

Even though things didn’t go their way I was proud of Maine’s effort and fight. It was one of those nights where Merrimack got the rub of the green. It’s hard to follow up a truly great performance with a decent one and that definitely proved true tonight. On the other hard I’m sure Merrimack was super motivated after how last weekend went for them.

With all of that being said I’m 100x more encouraged now than I was a few months ago. For me the Alaska series was a major turning point. That Friday night game was as embarrassing of performance as Maine has ever had. Whatever was said after that game lit a fire under the team and outside of one weekend I think they’ve played some really good hockey since then. Hopefully an exciting 22-23 coming up.
    That AK game was aweful, we left after second period, and we never leave early.

I still say Maine will have to battle next year for getting up to 10th spot. Thats how far behind things are and the other HE lower tier teams having improved relative to Maine.

2023/2024 should be a big difference.

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied
    With (by my count) 11 confirmed newcomers next season, with possibly more on the way, either thru current commitments being confirmed or picking up another transfer or two, this team will look completely remade next year. Five freshman D, all of whom look good on the stat sheet, could mean a promising rebuild of the D corps. Two probable stars up-front, and a returning solid goalie. I would bet they are right around .500 next season, perhaps a bit below, and then the big jump comes in 2023-2024.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Another year and another wait and see what happens next year. I think Barr is the man to take the team forward, we just have to wait and see

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

Shawn died in 2001. Maine kept making Frozen Fours until 2007. .
    Grant left

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

I would be lying if I said I didn’t have the same feeling earlier. Merrimack was a tough matchup for Maine, especially at Lawler. I was uneasy about Thiessen starting even though he’s played really well his last two starts. I don’t know what it is I just feel more comfortable with Ostman in net.

The seniors deserve all the respect in the world considering what they’ve gone through. Although the team only won 7 games and were tough to watch at times, I was never disgusted by the team like I have been in years past. The effort was consistently there but the talent wasn’t especially in the second half.

The future of Maine hockey is bright, early next season will probably be a struggle but come this time next year Maine is going to be a tough out. I’m ready for October.
    I’m a big believer in ‘don’t change a winning team’ but didn’t feel great about Thiessen getting the start. That was one of those where it was kind of a no win situation for Barr. I’m not sure if Ostman was in net it would have changed the outcome though.

Even though things didn’t go their way I was proud of Maine’s effort and fight. It was one of those nights where Merrimack got the rub of the green. It’s hard to follow up a truly great performance with a decent one and that definitely proved true tonight. On the other hard I’m sure Merrimack was super motivated after how last weekend went for them.

With all of that being said I’m 100x more encouraged now than I was a few months ago. For me the Alaska series was a major turning point. That Friday night game was as embarrassing of performance as Maine has ever had. Whatever was said after that game lit a fire under the team and outside of one weekend I think they’ve played some really good hockey since then. Hopefully an exciting 22-23 coming up.

Leave a comment:

• rw1733
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackBearinGopherLand View Post
    My apologies if this is known info already and for not posting it earlier but the MN State High School Hockey Tournament began today with Class A (smaller school enrollment) and Class AA begins Thursday 3/10 with games at 11:00am, 1:00 pm, 6:00 pm, 8:00 pm with same schedule on Friday with Class A semis in the 2 early time slots and Class AA in the 2 later ones. Saturday is Finals for both all times CST. Link to stream below

Twin Cities home for High School Sports, Prep45 | 45TV
    Who cares?

Leave a comment:

• BlackBearinGopherLand
    replied
    My apologies if this is known info already and for not posting it earlier but the MN State High School Hockey Tournament began today with Class A (smaller school enrollment) and Class AA begins Thursday 3/10 with games at 11:00am, 1:00 pm, 6:00 pm, 8:00 pm with same schedule on Friday with Class A semis in the 2 early time slots and Class AA in the 2 later ones. Saturday is Finals for both all times CST. Link to stream below

Twin Cities home for High School Sports, Prep45 | 45TV
    Last edited by BlackBearinGopherLand; 03-09-2022, 10:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rw1733
    replied
    Was at the game. More of the same. Take a penalty and give up a goal. Make a careless pass and give up a scoring chance. Most of the game spent in the Maine zone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X