X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tylerzx2002
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

Yeah it doesn’t make much sense to bring in a transfer forward unless they’re going to be a top 6 forward. No point in having a guy who won’t contribute much taking ice time away from promising freshmen/sophomores.

I really think Ostman can be a starting goalie but there’s talent in the portal as well. Lowell improved a lot by adding Savory from RPI. Unless you can find forwards like Newton and Jandric like Merrimack did, I think the transfer portal can potentially hurt a rebuild.
    Ostman showed some signs that make me think he can step his game up over the next two seasons, especially with improved D in front of him. Still think having someone to push him more than Thiessen did would be a big get.

And I agree that bringing in a bunch of transfer forwards probably doesn't make any sense with such a large freshman class coming in, but maybe becomes a viable option if Maine has a couple surprise departures.
    Last edited by tylerzx2002; 03-11-2022, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BlackBearFan19
    replied
    Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post

Goaltender would be an area I think I'd look to improve.

There can be some good goalies that move teams, just look at Sean Romeo leaving Maine and having success at OSU.

Could have really used him as the bridge to Swayman instead of McGovern/Morris.
    Yeah it doesn’t make much sense to bring in a transfer forward unless they’re going to be a top 6 forward. No point in having a guy who won’t contribute much taking ice time away from promising freshmen/sophomores.

I really think Ostman can be a starting goalie but there’s talent in the portal as well. Lowell improved a lot by adding Savory from RPI. Unless you can find forwards like Newton and Jandric like Merrimack did, I think the transfer portal can potentially hurt a rebuild.

Leave a comment:

• tylerzx2002
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    I’d be okay if they didn’t do much. They definitely don’t need any dmen. If Thiessen is leaving a transfer goalie might be better than bringing in a freshman who isn’t good enough. Most of the transfers that have come in over the years have been underwhelming.
    Goaltender would be an area I think I'd look to improve.

There can be some good goalies that move teams, just look at Sean Romeo leaving Maine and having success at OSU.

Could have really used him as the bridge to Swayman instead of McGovern/Morris.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
    What, if anything, do we expect Maine to do in the transfer portal this offseason? I wouldn't mind seeing a few extra bodies brought in, especially given how injured they were this year.
    I’d be okay if they didn’t do much. They definitely don’t need any dmen. If Thiessen is leaving a transfer goalie might be better than bringing in a freshman who isn’t good enough. Most of the transfers that have come in over the years have been underwhelming.

Leave a comment:

• tylerzx2002
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe peter View Post

Don't get me wrong, Swayman was fantastic. But the top four teams starting goalies has save percentages of .931 (BC), .927 (UMass), .931 (UMass Lowell), and .939 (UMaine). Swayman was the leader, but Maine wasn't the only team with a goalie that stopped a lot of shots.

They were a pretty decent team in 2019-20. I don't know why no one wants to admit that.
    Maine was ranked 40th in the country in Goals For that season and were decidedly middle of the pack in Shots on Goal and all the major possession numbers. Not to mention they were 53rd in the nation in Shots Against.

Swayman carried that team so much it's a wonder he doesn't have back problems now.

So call them decent in the sense that as a whole they were in contention for the NCAA's but everyone knows why that is.

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied
    What, if anything, do we expect Maine to do in the transfer portal this offseason? I wouldn't mind seeing a few extra bodies brought in, especially given how injured they were this year.
    Last edited by amkirby10; 03-10-2022, 08:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied
    Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Point is its deeper than save percentage alone. The year Jimmy Howard set national record for save % Maine was a possession monster that outshot its opponents by 300. Thats how you tell is a great team
    great defenses turn great keepers into monsters.

Leave a comment:

• NorthMike
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
    Lol. Perfect
    Last edited by NorthMike; 03-10-2022, 09:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wayuphere
    replied
    Reds teams? Missing ingredients, two words: discipline and effort.
    Meanwhile: https://twitter.com/stephenking/stat...670100993?s=21

Leave a comment:

• BoSox3066
    replied
    Point is its deeper than save percentage alone. The year Jimmy Howard set national record for save % Maine was a possession monster that outshot its opponents by 300. Thats how you tell is a great team

Leave a comment:

• BoSox3066
    replied

Don't get me wrong, Swayman was fantastic. But the top four teams starting goalies has save percentages of .931 (BC), .927 (UMass), .931 (UMass Lowell), and .939 (UMaine). Swayman was the leader, but Maine wasn't the only team with a goalie that stopped a lot of shots.

They were a pretty decent team in 2019-20. I don't know why no one wants to admit that.
    BC gave up 31 shots a game and was -90 **** differential.

Lowell gave up 26 per game.

Umass gave up 24 a night and was +337

And again Maine was -125. On top of being the most penalized team in the country. They were demonsteably bad. The shot differential shows it.

Watch a team get out shot 40-20 every night and squeak by on its goalie and then know it was all about the goalie. How novel.

Leave a comment:

• BlackBearFan19
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

If you wait a few years Barr will be considered the worst coach ever and Red will be known as the second coming of Toe Blake.
    I don’t think it’s revisionist history to say the team didn’t accomplish enough on the ice in Red’s time here.

We never made it to the garden, we never made the ncaa tournament and the team only had winning seasons 3 out of his 8 years. He inherited 3 future NHL players and had a pretty solid first recruiting class with Renouf (NHL player), Brown and Byron (which is largely attributed to Whitehead). Martin Ouelette also had a really good senior season.

Barr inherited a team with no drafted skaters and their only drafted player was the backup goalie. The cupboard is pretty bare, the 2019-2020 team was junior and senior heavy. Those players are gone.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    I honestly don't get all this 'the team was awful' narrative. Going into covid the team was fourth in HE and about to host a home playoff. Not sure how you can count the next year which was all on the road, then Red passes. The 2019-20 team was good and they were on the path to further improvement. Sure it took Red a few years longer to get the team to 4th place, but they were there. I'm not a fan of all this revisionist history that they've been terrible and nothing else.
    If you wait a few years Barr will be considered the worst coach ever and Red will be known as the second coming of Toe Blake.

Leave a comment:

• UncleRay
    replied
    Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

Does Red get any credit for recruiting him, or did he get lost on I-95 on his way to Boston and just wander into Alfond Arena by mistake?
    Even a blind squirrel....

Leave a comment:

• BlackBearFan19
    replied

I agree that the 19-20 team was good. Fossier was one of the best players in hockey East.

I disagree that the team was on track for further improvement. Red brought in two really solid classes in his time here and they were back to back. The Fossier, Pearson, Holway class was really good and the Swayman, keeper, Tralmaks class was also good. But outside of those two classes Maine was not attracting much talent.

Red’s biggest issue at Maine was a lack of talent, which I think Barr will not have a problem fixing. Maine was playing an outdated style in an outdated arena with an old coach. They weren’t exactly exciting. Red was a great hockey mind and person but the game changed significantly in his time as a coach and I don’t know that he wanted to change with it. He did recruit a lot of high character guys to Orono and I think that’s part of the reason his time in Orono shouldn’t be viewed as a failure. I’ve never heard a player or opposing coach have a bad thing to say about him, before or after his passing.

This program needed some new blood, there’s definitely an energy around the program that Barr has brought and the next couple recruiting classes will show that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X