Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amkirby10
    replied
    This could be big. If it's true that most or all of the team was out of shape, and he has a new regimen in mind for them to get ready to go, then that's gonna keep the team in more games. I recall them playing Omaha to a tie or one goal deficit after two periods both games to start the year back in October, and then they got completely obliterated in the third. Lack of conditioning would explain why they fell apart so dramatically in the third often this past year, especially early on. Hope this comes true.

Leave a comment:

• NorthMike
    replied
    HUGE, I hope so.

Leave a comment:

• boblav1
    replied
    Big changes coming for UMaine's rebuilding men's hockey team (bangordailynews.com)

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post

Is this the first recruit Whitehead has sent north to us? Only took him like 10 years...
    Pat Shea.

Leave a comment:

• tylerzx2002
    replied
    Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
    A new recruit from Timmay's Kimball Union......

https://twitter.com/connerchalmers4/...40419109687296
    Is this the first recruit Whitehead has sent north to us? Only took him like 10 years...

Leave a comment:

• BlackBearFan19
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Very interesting. Barr must want some of these smaller dmen to move to forward. Where he is from NH he’s probably not getting a ton of scholarship but he can pay in state tuition so is a good deal for everyone.
    Barr doesn’t seem overly concerned about size of his defensemen. If you look at a lot of the stud defensemen he’s brought in or coached in the past, a good portion of them are under 6 foot. Makar, Gostisbehere, Jones and Ufko are all under 6 foot.

I think the idea is to pair these smaller guys with bigger players like Hopkins, Breazeale, and Duerr. If they can dig pucks out the corner, lug the puck through center ice and find ways to get the puck on net, they can be as small as they like. Maine will definitely be a far cry from the biggest team in college hockey in the coming seasons.

Leave a comment:

• Runsub5
    replied
    Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

If you look on his EliteProspects page, he's set to play in the BCHL next season. They really seem to like the players playing junior out there, a lot of BCHL guys on the list of future Black Bears.
    His teammate Revelin Mack is also going with him to the Vernon Vipers (BCHL). Tim seems to have a connection with the Vipers. Ten seniors on that team. Another senior Tim Wishart has committed to Cornell for the 2023-2024 season.

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied

Very interesting. Barr must want some of these smaller dmen to move to forward. Where he is from NH he’s probably not getting a ton of scholarship but he can pay in state tuition so is a good deal for everyone.
    If you look on his EliteProspects page, he's set to play in the BCHL next season. They really seem to like the players playing junior out there, a lot of BCHL guys on the list of future Black Bears.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Runsub5
    replied

Kimball Union had another great year! Lost in the semi-final to Salisbury in OT. Salisbury went on to win the title against Belmont 4-1. Tim's team went 29-3-1 and has won the Elite 8 Championship three consecutive years. Their goal tender from Quebec; Daniel Heroux (JR.), has committed to Vermont and Jaiden Moriello has committed to UMass-Lowell. Duncan Ramsay, Halifax, NS; committed to Vermont for the 2023-2024 season.
    Last edited by Runsub5; 03-13-2022, 02:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• umhockey91
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NorthMike
    replied
    Time for a new thread?

Leave a comment:

• tylerzx2002
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

Yeah it doesn’t make much sense to bring in a transfer forward unless they’re going to be a top 6 forward. No point in having a guy who won’t contribute much taking ice time away from promising freshmen/sophomores.

I really think Ostman can be a starting goalie but there’s talent in the portal as well. Lowell improved a lot by adding Savory from RPI. Unless you can find forwards like Newton and Jandric like Merrimack did, I think the transfer portal can potentially hurt a rebuild.
    Ostman showed some signs that make me think he can step his game up over the next two seasons, especially with improved D in front of him. Still think having someone to push him more than Thiessen did would be a big get.

And I agree that bringing in a bunch of transfer forwards probably doesn't make any sense with such a large freshman class coming in, but maybe becomes a viable option if Maine has a couple surprise departures.
    Last edited by tylerzx2002; 03-11-2022, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BlackBearFan19
    replied
    Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post

Goaltender would be an area I think I'd look to improve.

There can be some good goalies that move teams, just look at Sean Romeo leaving Maine and having success at OSU.

Could have really used him as the bridge to Swayman instead of McGovern/Morris.
    Yeah it doesn’t make much sense to bring in a transfer forward unless they’re going to be a top 6 forward. No point in having a guy who won’t contribute much taking ice time away from promising freshmen/sophomores.

I really think Ostman can be a starting goalie but there’s talent in the portal as well. Lowell improved a lot by adding Savory from RPI. Unless you can find forwards like Newton and Jandric like Merrimack did, I think the transfer portal can potentially hurt a rebuild.

Leave a comment:

• tylerzx2002
    replied
    I’d be okay if they didn’t do much. They definitely don’t need any dmen. If Thiessen is leaving a transfer goalie might be better than bringing in a freshman who isn’t good enough. Most of the transfers that have come in over the years have been underwhelming.
    Goaltender would be an area I think I'd look to improve.

There can be some good goalies that move teams, just look at Sean Romeo leaving Maine and having success at OSU.

Could have really used him as the bridge to Swayman instead of McGovern/Morris.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X