• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ticapnews
    replied
    The search for a new AD begins.

From the Athletics Department:
    The search committee is chaired by John Volin, UMaine executive vice president for academic affairs and provost, and will be assisted by search firm Collegiate Sports Associates.

Finalists are expected to visit campus by mid-November, with a decision on the next UMaine athletics director anticipated in early December.

The committee members are: Faculty Senate president MJ Sedlock; co-leads of the Harold Alfond Foundation athletics initiative - professor Judith Rosenbaum-Andre and senior associate athletic director Seth Woodcock; UMaine coaches Josette Babineau, Ben Barr and Amy Vachon; assistant professor Muralee Das; Academic Support Services director Ann Maxim; former dean Anne Pooler; student-athletes Fofo Adetogun and Tiana Bucknor; and Hall of Fame athletes Emily Ellis, Chris Keating and Jack Leggett

Leave a comment:

• UncleRay
    replied
    Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
    I saw 10 students sitting behind the PEI bench get ejected. I don't think I have ever seen that many before.
    Hopefully that's an aberration. The fact that the Maine students have always been clean in their language while being passionate and loud has always been a great strength on the ice.

Leave a comment:

• BlackBearFan19
    replied
    Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Maine played with a lot of grit and appeared to have good overall speed. Hard to know when seeing them play in only one game against a team I know nothing about. Maine was one for 11 on the PP and scored the only goal of the game while on the PP. Had a couple of 5 on 3 as well. It was a very physical game but I didn't think Maine committed any stupid penalties. Both goal tenders (Ostman and Mucitelli), played well as evidenced by the shutout. There were no one or two players who really stood out to me. Playing Air Force and the national champion will be a real challenge for this team. I saw 10 students sitting behind the PEI bench get ejected. I don't think I have ever seen that many before.
    They skated well and they played really hard against a physical PEI team. PEI played an edgy game and Maine didn’t get roped into a lot of that nonsense which I really liked.

The freshmen d men look D1 ready. I was impressed by Arnott, Chabrier, Holt and Antonacci. The future is definitely bright on defense.

The forwards worked really hard, they still lack that finesse around the net but I think we all knew that wouldn’t change overnight. From what I saw, this team is gonna be able to roll 4 lines every night and is going to be tough to beat. I think once Houle, Hebert and Henbrant join the lineup, the lines will look much different and I expect to see a different bottom 6 almost every night.

Leave a comment:

• Runsub5
    replied
    Maine played with a lot of grit and appeared to have good overall speed. Hard to know when seeing them play in only one game against a team I know nothing about. Maine was one for 11 on the PP and scored the only goal of the game while on the PP. Had a couple of 5 on 3 as well. It was a very physical game but I didn't think Maine committed any stupid penalties. Both goal tenders (Ostman and Mucitelli), played well as evidenced by the shutout. There were no one or two players who really stood out to me. Playing Air Force and the national champion will be a real challenge for this team. I saw 10 students sitting behind the PEI bench get ejected. I don't think I have ever seen that many before.

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied
    I didn't get to see them play, but I know they won 1-0. What did we think? Did they play well? Thoughts on the new guys, both freshmen and transfers? Any stupid penalties?

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
    Arnott looks really sharp, he’s getting a lot of ice time and I haven’t seen him make a bad play.

A lot of new players so it’ll take some time to get but they look fast and are playing physical. Mucitelli might be the guy in net.
    I thought Arnott and Trudeau were definitely best in show as far as the freshmen go. The freshman forwards are much better than the transfer forwards from what I have seen.

Leave a comment:

• BlackBearFan19
    replied
    Arnott looks really sharp, he’s getting a lot of ice time and I haven’t seen him make a bad play.

A lot of new players so it’ll take some time to get but they look fast and are playing physical. Mucitelli might be the guy in net.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    No Houle, Hebert, or Henbrant tonight. Are they hurt, suspended, or something else?

I’m really excited to see the new players tonight.

Leave a comment:

• tylerzx2002
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    UMaine either finishes 9th, ahead of UNH and UVM, or ekes into 8th ahead of Merrimack.
    This sounds about right to me as well. Anything higher will be a pleasant surprise.

Leave a comment:

• Jackcurtis23
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    UMaine either finishes 9th, ahead of UNH and UVM, or ekes into 8th ahead of Merrimack.
    Agree.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jackcurtis23
    replied
    Jeff Cox has them at 10, Vermont at 11.

It will be good for the league to get Maine back toward the top of the standings, as the Black Bears have the best fanbase in Hockey East. However, it might take second-year head coach Ben Barr and his assistants one more season to get to where they want to be.

Maine returns its top two leading scorers, Lynden Breen and Donovan Villeneuve-Houle, both now juniors. Jakub Sirota and David Breazeale are back to anchor the blue line. Freshmen to watch are forwards Reid Pabich, Killian Kiecker-Olson and Parker Lindauer and defensemen Brandon Chabrier and Luke Antonacci.The goaltending duties will fall upon Clarkson transfer Jacob Mucitelli and junior Victor Ostman.

Leave a comment:

• Tango
    replied
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I think there absolutely are reasons to be optimistic. The flip side for me is Maine was just so inconsistent last year I worry we could see more of the same this year. Hopefully where it’s a new group that isn’t the case but time will tell.

I listened to Barr last night and it was hard to get a read on how he is feeling about the team. He didn’t really single any of the newcomers out which is a bit of a concern but did say the team has a lot more depth. He is going to treat Saturday as more of a regular game which I strongly agree with. Where Maine has practiced so much I think that makes more sense than trying to get everyone ice time.
    I think its hard to be consistent when you have 12 guys on the team that should be in D3 and your captains are frequently getting benched.

A top 10 recruiting class hasn't happened at Maine in 14 years since 08 with Nyquist, Abbott, Flynn, Diamond, Hagerty, O'Neil, and Darling. Although Flynn was a walk on so I guess he doesn't count for class rankings.

Barr is the right guy. They're headed in the right direction. They'll be at the Garden next season.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
    From Mike McMahon .... FWIW

Maine’s recruiting class is ranked No. 9 in the nation by Neutral Zone and the Black Bears did an excellent job in the transfer portal. Justin Michaelian (Ferris State) brings some veteran offense along with Didrik Henbrant (Alaska).

Maine’s biggest portal addition was Clarkson goalie Jacob Mucitelli, who I thought was the top goaltender available in the portal this past spring. He has a .941 career save percentage in 11 games, the bulk of which came last season.

Those reasons, combined with two promising rising juniors - Lynden Breen and Donavan Villeneuve-Houle - who led the team in scoring last season as sophomores, should mean some immediate improvement for Ben Barr in his second season behind the bench.

Maine finished No. 51 in the Pairwise last season, so like with Vermont, I’m expecting a big jump.
    I think there absolutely are reasons to be optimistic. The flip side for me is Maine was just so inconsistent last year I worry we could see more of the same this year. Hopefully where it’s a new group that isn’t the case but time will tell.

I listened to Barr last night and it was hard to get a read on how he is feeling about the team. He didn’t really single any of the newcomers out which is a bit of a concern but did say the team has a lot more depth. He is going to treat Saturday as more of a regular game which I strongly agree with. Where Maine has practiced so much I think that makes more sense than trying to get everyone ice time.

Leave a comment:

• Fishman'81
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
    From Mike McMahon .... FWIW

Maine’s recruiting class is ranked No. 9 in the nation by Neutral Zone and the Black Bears did an excellent job in the transfer portal. Justin Michaelian (Ferris State) brings some veteran offense along with Didrik Henbrant (Alaska).

Maine’s biggest portal addition was Clarkson goalie Jacob Mucitelli, who I thought was the top goaltender available in the portal this past spring. He has a .941 career save percentage in 11 games, the bulk of which came last season.

Those reasons, combined with two promising rising juniors - Lynden Breen and Donavan Villeneuve-Houle - who led the team in scoring last season as sophomores, should mean some immediate improvement for Ben Barr in his second season behind the bench.

Maine finished No. 51 in the Pairwise last season, so like with Vermont, I’m expecting a big jump.
    I hope you're right.

We're not going to drive into Boston this year, but we have two at Colgate.

If we see some improvement there, we might drive into Boston again next season.

Not holding my breath, though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X