This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Anyhoo, not blowing smoke up your behind when I say that I fondly recall Umile's best teams. Very fun to watch, unless your boys were facing them.
    They were fun teams to follow and root for, no doubt. Best teams UNH has ever had, with perhaps a debate to be had with some of Coach Holt's teams back in the '70's/early '80's. But Holt never got his teams to the D-1 title game, and Umile did that twice - even if they turned out poorly for UNH. The '99 game was a classic, and the only time UNH really could have reached out and touched the glory. The two semis trips in '98 (Michigan) and '02 (UMaine) were embarrassing blowouts, and the '03 FF Finals against Minnesota saw an overmatched, injury-riddled UNH squad turn into a pumpkin in the 3rd period after hanging in there at 1-1 through two periods.

For a number of years, assistant coach Brian McCloskey was our "Standbrook" and was responsible for bringing in most of the offensive talent that featured during the height of the Umile era. You can trace the slow downfall of the UNH Men's program from his departure in '02/'03 to become HC of the UNH Women's program (McCloskey's final game with the Men was a certain 7-2 loss out in St. Paul in April '02 you might recall?). The quality of the recruits that came after were never quite up to the McCloskey standard, and that initiated UNH's slow decline.

Umile did manage to hold his RS own against guys like Walshy, York and Parker, all in the midst of their primes, but with only a small smattering of exceptions, his teams struggled with the biggest of their postseason games. Umile seemed to enjoy a few big wins over Parker ('98 NCAA's, '03 HEA Finals) and Walsh ('02 HEA Finals and the "White out the Whitt" RS games), but Walsh and (especially) York always seemed to have his number when it mattered most.

Umile would be remembered down here far more fondly if he'd managed to win the '99 or '03 title, and if he hadn't selfishly allowed the program to gradually slide into irrelevance, especially at the very end. Which is sad, he deserves better, but he's pretty much been the architect of his own demise ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

They were fun teams to follow and root for, no doubt. Best teams UNH has ever had, with perhaps a debate to be had with some of Coach Holt's teams back in the '70's/early '80's. But Holt never got his teams to the D-1 title game, and Umile did that twice - even if they turned out poorly for UNH. The '99 game was a classic, and the only time UNH really could have reached out and touched the glory. The two semis trips in '98 (Michigan) and '02 (UMaine) were embarrassing blowouts, and the '03 FF Finals against Minnesota saw an overmatched, injury-riddled UNH squad turn into a pumpkin in the 3rd period after hanging in there at 1-1 through two periods.

For a number of years, assistant coach Brian McCloskey was our "Standbrook" and was responsible for bringing in most of the offensive talent that featured during the height of the Umile era. You can trace the slow downfall of the UNH Men's program from his departure in '02/'03 to become HC of the UNH Women's program (McCloskey's final game with the Men was a certain 7-2 loss out in St. Paul in April '02 you might recall?). The quality of the recruits that came after were never quite up to the McCloskey standard, and that initiated UNH's slow decline.

Umile did manage to hold his RS own against guys like Walshy, York and Parker, all in the midst of their primes, but with only a small smattering of exceptions, his teams struggled with the biggest of their postseason games. Umile seemed to enjoy a few big wins over Parker ('98 NCAA's, '03 HEA Finals) and Walsh ('02 HEA Finals and the "White out the Whitt" RS games), but Walsh and (especially) York always seemed to have his number when it mattered most.

Umile would be remembered down here far more fondly if he'd managed to win the '99 or '03 title, and if he hadn't selfishly allowed the program to gradually slide into irrelevance, especially at the very end. Which is sad, he deserves better, but he's pretty much been the architect of his own demise ...
      Timmy was coach for 2002 HEA finals.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Guillaume Richard ranked 32 for NA skaters. I really hope he doesn’t bail.

Comment

• Guite has announced to WABI that he will not be returning.

I also have heard through the grapevine that if Alfie wants to return he can.

Comment

• Alfie stays says Barr.
            $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
            Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
              Alfie stays says Barr.
              Good for Alfie. Sometimes it's good "just" being the goalie's coach.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Alfie stays says Barr.
                Where did you see / hear this? I can't find anything on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post

Where did you see / hear this? I can't find anything on it.
                  ha, disregard. Took some true investigative work there on my part!

https://goblackbears.com/news/2021/6...-on-staff.aspx

Comment

Alfie stays says Barr.
                    Excellent
                    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

You can certainly debate the merits of starting completely from scratch but there can be no doubt Alfie has done an absolutely amazing job coaching the goalies. After all the years where goaltending was a struggle it’s been a breath of fresh air having him on board. I suspect for Maine to be successful goaltending is going to be a big part of that and it’s great he’s staying.

Comment

Sorry, I was in a hurry and just threw it up without a linked source, which you found.
                        $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                        Just win.....

Comment

• From Jeff Cox...

Multiple sources indicate that Jason Fortier will replace Guite on the Maine staff. The Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, native will come to Orono by way of the Odessa Jackalopes, where he served as head coach and general manager for the NAHL franchise.

Comment

• Wow, great news on Alfie, know diddly about the other appt but he must have some connections in NAHL
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

From Jeff Cox...

Multiple sources indicate that Jason Fortier will replace Guite on the Maine staff. The Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, native will come to Orono by way of the Odessa Jackalopes, where he served as head coach and general manager for the NAHL franchise.
                              An interesting choice. As far as I can tell he has zero experience playing or coaching in American college hockey but has a lot of success as a junior coach. It looks like a lot of in his experience is in the BCHL, which used to be very fertile recruiting territory for Maine. Hopefully he can help get some decent recruits to Maine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

An interesting choice. As far as I can tell he has zero experience playing or coaching in American college hockey but has a lot of success as a junior coach. It looks like a lot of in his experience is in the BCHL, which used to be very fertile recruiting territory for Maine. Hopefully he can help get some decent recruits to Maine.
                                I dont really mind it. Good college players start out as good junior players, and having a good junior coach and GM is a way to start.

Comment

Working...
                                X