Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Barr Has Been Raised at UMaine

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

    I’m all for a redemption story and second chances but what that kid did was pretty sick. In the future when the culture is established, I could see taking a chance on him but right now we’re in no position to take a chance on a lightning rod.
    I agree with BBF19. I'm grateful Al had yet to invent the interwebs in my youth. While I never did anything like Mitchell, I'm fortunate that I've been given second chances at various points in my life. Anybody else? And he was a kid when he did it. While there are people who do stupid things as kids that grow up to do stupid things as adults, many truly grow up in the best sense. If the college and (especially) NHL ranks were devoid of players who have done stupid things,...
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

    And stay off the lawn!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      What do folks think about Mitchell Miller? He would be a bit controversial but would also be one of the better players in Hockey East. I have no idea if Ben would be interested but might be a good opportunity for Maine.
      “A bit controversial”? I now buy the “Drew just exists as a troll” hypothesis. Welcome to the block list.

      Comment


      • Good grief, to the second paragraph.
        I hope he blows bc off if approached.


        https://www.bcinterruption.com/2022/...rry-york-bc-bu
        Last edited by NorthMike; 04-20-2022, 12:05 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
          Good grief, to the second paragraph.
          I hope he blows bc off if approached.

          https://www.bcinterruption.com/2022/...rry-york-bc-bu
          The blatant disrespect to the UMass Amherst program (and pretty much everyone else by extension) is nauseating. Terms like "sneaking in a championship" and "just one out-of-nowhere championship run" reek of snobbery and entitlement. I'm not a UMass fan, but I do admire successful coaches and their programs, so I'm also rooting for Carvel to tell BC (if he is approached) to "shove it".
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

          Comment


          • You're getting excited about some garbage column written by a BC fan? Its not like it was written by the BC AD
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

            Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

            Comment


            • Not wrong either I mean Contes a better rink, Bostons a better location, UMass could lose resources when theres a budget crisis in the next few years….

              I don’t expect Carvel to go there but its not an insane notion.

              Trying to find a tasteful word here, with all these openings, we’re really fortunate to have gotten Barr a year ago, feel like there’s no shot he ends up here if its the ‘22 hiring cycle. Sad it happened the way it did

              Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

              11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

              Comment


              • Carvel would have more resources at BC but would he be happier? He has turned a program from a joke into national champions. He has two Hockey East titles. He has the support of the university and the fans love him. His family seems happy (his wife is an Amherst native) and he earns $500K per season. Not everyone wants the big job. Shawn Walsh turned down multiple opportunities to coach bigger programs because he was building something at Maine. That meant more to him than walking into a ready-made program, even though it would have meant more money and resources.

                Comment


                • Looks like another portal pickup from Colgate.
                  • Colgate F Cole Hanson to Maine (3 YOE)
                    • Ben Barr continues to assemble a new roster at Maine. Hanson only had three points (1g, 2a) in 24 games for Colgate this past season as a rookie. But, his last year of junior hockey he had 60 points (21g, 39a) in 53 games for the New Mexico Ice Wolves (NAHL). This feels like Maine adding for Hanson’s potential.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    Carvel would have more resources at BC but would he be happier? He has turned a program from a joke into national champions. He has two Hockey East titles. He has the support of the university and the fans love him. His family seems happy (his wife is an Amherst native) and he earns $500K per season. Not everyone wants the big job. Shawn Walsh turned down multiple opportunities to coach bigger programs because he was building something at Maine. That meant more to him than walking into a ready-made program, even though it would have meant more money and resources.
                    Totally agree, and the parallels between Carvel and Walshy are legit. Money isn't everything.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
                      Looks like another portal pickup from Colgate.
                      • Colgate F Cole Hanson to Maine (3 YOE)
                        • Ben Barr continues to assemble a new roster at Maine. Hanson only had three points (1g, 2a) in 24 games for Colgate this past season as a rookie. But, his last year of junior hockey he had 60 points (21g, 39a) in 53 games for the New Mexico Ice Wolves (NAHL). This feels like Maine adding for Hanson’s potential.
                      Another solid pickup. Looks like he was teammates with incoming defenseman Brandon Holt in high school and then again in the NAHL. I wonder if those guys were on Barr’s radar while at UMass and he continued to pursue once he got to Maine.

                      Barr has harped on competition for playing time and not having enough of it last season. I don’t think that will be an issue at all this year. As far as depth goes, I think this team is deeper than anything in recent memory. The top end talent might not be where it was when we were in the National picture on a yearly basis but this team looks like it is going to surprise a lot of people. The need for scoring has been addressed, defensemen who can skate with the puck has been addressed, goaltending has been addressed and depth that will create competition for playing time has been addressed.

                      I have been thinking about what the lines look like for next year and there will probably be 4-5 guys in the stands each night that would have been in the lineup the past 2 seasons.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
                        Looks like another portal pickup from Colgate.
                        • Colgate F Cole Hanson to Maine (3 YOE)
                          • Ben Barr continues to assemble a new roster at Maine. Hanson only had three points (1g, 2a) in 24 games for Colgate this past season as a rookie. But, his last year of junior hockey he had 60 points (21g, 39a) in 53 games for the New Mexico Ice Wolves (NAHL). This feels like Maine adding for Hanson’s potential.
                        Are his brothers coming as well?? ;-)
                        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

                        And stay off the lawn!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post

                          Trying to find a tasteful word here, with all these openings, we’re really fortunate to have gotten Barr a year ago, feel like there’s no shot he ends up here if its the ‘22 hiring cycle. Sad it happened the way it did
                          Yeah if Maine was looking this year it would have presented problems. I dont think Bu or Bc would have given Barr much of a look, no connections and unproven, etc. Union might have hired Barr, maybe Mich State or Augustana could have been an options.

                          Im still curious why vermont passed on Barr, unless it was him passing on them.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

                            Yeah if Maine was looking this year it would have presented problems. I dont think Bu or Bc would have given Barr much of a look, no connections and unproven, etc. Union might have hired Barr, maybe Mich State or Augustana could have been an options.

                            Im still curious why vermont passed on Barr, unless it was him passing on them.
                            I remember the reporting for the Vermont opening was saying that the finalists were Barr and Jerry Keefe, who ended up going to NU. Woodcroft seemed to come out of nowhere, I was shocked when neither of the above mentioned guys got it.

                            Comment


                            • A little more on Hanson.

                              https://finance.yahoo.com/news/umain...000400092.html

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Tango View Post
                                It sounds to me like Weis is being deferred. I hope Nadeau comes in this fall instead of waiting a year.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X