Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Barr Has Been Raised at UMaine

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by walrus View Post

    Good luck to those guys leaving. Hope they land somewhere and they have some success.

    I thought I read somewhere that Barr wants 26 or 27 guys on the team for the rebuild. Seems like there is some room for players to return. I can see where some upperclassman might not like the direction the program is going?? ie lack of playing time.
    Barr said on one if the last coaches show that ideally he would like 26 to 27 on a roster, but during a rebuild like this he thinks they may likely have 28 to 29 for the next couple years.

    Sounds like he will be pushing the 30 roster. The portal will be full of players to choose from also.

    Should be interesting off season. Hope they stay transparent as things move along.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

      JSS has entered the transfer portal.
      Dawe has followed JSS into the transfer portal.

      Comment


      • Does someone have a link to the portal?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

          Dawe has followed JSS into the transfer portal.
          Good luck to both and whomever else goes that route.
          Probably a good move, being at one place too long limits their exposures and growth.

          I saw a couple articles how the portal has been very active lately.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

            Dawe has followed JSS into the transfer portal.
            Another one that doesn't surprise me. I salute him for what he did when he was here, but he's a guy I think that really needs a change of scenery, same with Schmitty.

            Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
            Does someone have a link to the portal?
            This is the link I've been using to monitor the portal, I found it on Reddit. I don't know how whoever maintains this finds their information, because it isn't me, but it aligns with a lot of what I've seen and heard so far and looks somewhat reliable.

            https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...xxI/edit#gid=0

            Comment


            • Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

              Another one that doesn't surprise me. I salute him for what he did when he was here, but he's a guy I think that really needs a change of scenery, same with Schmitty.



              This is the link I've been using to monitor the portal, I found it on Reddit. I don't know how whoever maintains this finds their information, because it isn't me, but it aligns with a lot of what I've seen and heard so far and looks somewhat reliable.

              https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...xxI/edit#gid=0
              Thanks!

              Comment


              • The transfer portal is completely foreign to me. Is there anyone there Maine is (or should be) looking at?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  The transfer portal is completely foreign to me. Is there anyone there Maine is (or should be) looking at?
                  Well, given that most of what we have to work with is a spreadsheet with names and stats, it's hard to get a full picture, as stats don't tell everything, unless the kid was playing in Hockey East and we got a quick peek at him for a weekend. That said, based on my impressions, easily the best player in the portal right now is Jacob Nordqvist, from Lake Superior. Has only one year left, but has 13-49-62 in 138 collegiate games, playing defense. Also is a career +28 and only has 68 PIM. Given that Maine isn't just one player away from a big run, not sure if player and school is a good fit, but purely from best player available, he looks to be it in my eyes. Would be a huge boost on the blue line, most likely. I would not be holding my breath, though.

                  As far as better or more logical fits for Maine, I'm not exactly sure. The biggest one I could potentially see would be in goal if Theissen (or Ostman, I guess) were to for some reason leave, I don't think the Russian kid is ready for college yet, I'd want to see him get another year in the USHL. My guess on what they will actually do, given that a lot of guys are leaving, and Barr has said he expects the roster to number in the high twenties, I would expect a few additions, particularly at forward. Only six freshman forwards are confirmed by my count, and with four already gone and maybe more on the way out, and a thin roster to start with, they'll probably need the bodies. If all eligible D return next year, with 5 newcomers that should be about 9 defensemen, which is probably enough, but maybe they'd add one more. Just my thoughts on the situation, I don't think they will make any big splashes, but they could use extra bodies and more depth, and to carry the huge roster the coach wants they'll probably need a handful of transfers

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    The transfer portal is completely foreign to me. Is there anyone there Maine is (or should be) looking at?
                    Looks like Theissen is also listed in the transfer portal (which isn't a shock the way the rotation shook out this year). Gotta think Maine will be bringing a netminder in.

                    I wonder if they would consider someone like Nate McDonald from Cornell who could be a decent platoon option with Ostman for a year.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post

                      Looks like Theissen is also listed in the transfer portal (which isn't a shock the way the rotation shook out this year). Gotta think Maine will be bringing a netminder in.

                      I wonder if they would consider someone like Nate McDonald from Cornell who could be a decent platoon option with Ostman for a year.
                      I didn't have insider info for this one, but I had a hunch. I would guess then that Barr gave him the start in the playoffs knowing he was leaving, and it was kind of a lost season anyway, which was a feeling I had after the game. I would guess they target a grad transfer goalie with only one year of eligibility left as either a platoon or a backup for Ostman.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

                        I didn't have insider info for this one, but I had a hunch. I would guess then that Barr gave him the start in the playoffs knowing he was leaving, and it was kind of a lost season anyway, which was a feeling I had after the game. I would guess they target a grad transfer goalie with only one year of eligibility left as either a platoon or a backup for Ostman.
                        I’m not shocked Thiessen entered the portal, Ostman was the better goalie all year but I don’t really know where he goes where he’ll have a better shot at being a starter.

                        As long as we don’t lose the core of this team, which in my opinion are Breen, Houle, Poisson, Renwick and Breazeale, I’m okay with guys leaving. I’m patient enough to watch another tough season, I don’t see players entering the portal as a bad reflection on the coaches, it seems like the guys who struggled to get with the program are entering the portal. Unless one of the 5 I listed above enters the portal, I’d say a lot of these moves are playing right into Barr’s hands.

                        Comment


                        • Just looking at the stuff the Trivigno kid at UMass is saying about Barr and smiling. Barr’s gonna find more of em and thats gonna be us. Sooner than later

                          Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                          3x FROZEN FOUR

                          11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

                          Comment


                          • https://dailycollegian.com/2021/05/i...nal-champions/

                            This is from last spring and I’m sure someone posted it then but a great article. Kind of a longer read but a great look at the culture of teams and their success. I feel it gives a lot of insight into the program Barr came from and is trying to build here and why teams like BU and BC can have 11 and 9 draft pics and 15 guys off the USNDP team and still have mediocre seasons.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Tango View Post
                              https://dailycollegian.com/2021/05/i...nal-champions/

                              This is from last spring and I’m sure someone posted it then but a great article. Kind of a longer read but a great look at the culture of teams and their success. I feel it gives a lot of insight into the program Barr came from and is trying to build here and why teams like BU and BC can have 11 and 9 draft pics and 15 guys off the USNDP team and still have mediocre seasons.
                              Hadnt seen this. Good stuff, its Carvels personality being a great fit and leader for the Umass.
                              Barr often speaks of the similar philosophy and culture, hope he can implement it as Carvel has.


                              Last edited by NorthMike; 03-21-2022, 09:02 AM.

                              Comment


                              • Ken Ralph seems to know his stuff when it comes to coaching searches.....

                                https://goblackbears.com/news/2022/3/21/mens-basketball-chris-markwood-05-named-head-mens-basketball-coach-at-umaine.aspx

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X