Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Barr Has Been Raised at UMaine

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

    If you look on his EliteProspects page, he's set to play in the BCHL next season. They really seem to like the players playing junior out there, a lot of BCHL guys on the list of future Black Bears.
    His teammate Revelin Mack is also going with him to the Vernon Vipers (BCHL). Tim seems to have a connection with the Vipers. Ten seniors on that team. Another senior Tim Wishart has committed to Cornell for the 2023-2024 season.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

      Very interesting. Barr must want some of these smaller dmen to move to forward. Where he is from NH he’s probably not getting a ton of scholarship but he can pay in state tuition so is a good deal for everyone.
      Barr doesn’t seem overly concerned about size of his defensemen. If you look at a lot of the stud defensemen he’s brought in or coached in the past, a good portion of them are under 6 foot. Makar, Gostisbehere, Jones and Ufko are all under 6 foot.

      I think the idea is to pair these smaller guys with bigger players like Hopkins, Breazeale, and Duerr. If they can dig pucks out the corner, lug the puck through center ice and find ways to get the puck on net, they can be as small as they like. Maine will definitely be a far cry from the biggest team in college hockey in the coming seasons.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
        A new recruit from Timmay's Kimball Union......

        https://twitter.com/connerchalmers4/...40419109687296
        Is this the first recruit Whitehead has sent north to us? Only took him like 10 years...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by tylerzx2002 View Post

          Is this the first recruit Whitehead has sent north to us? Only took him like 10 years...
          Pat Shea.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

          Comment


          • Big changes coming for UMaine's rebuilding men's hockey team (bangordailynews.com)

            Comment


            • HUGE, I hope so.

              Comment


              • This could be big. If it's true that most or all of the team was out of shape, and he has a new regimen in mind for them to get ready to go, then that's gonna keep the team in more games. I recall them playing Omaha to a tie or one goal deficit after two periods both games to start the year back in October, and then they got completely obliterated in the third. Lack of conditioning would explain why they fell apart so dramatically in the third often this past year, especially early on. Hope this comes true.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

                  This could be big. If it's true that most or all of the team was out of shape, and he has a new regimen in mind for them to get ready to go, then that's gonna keep the team in more games. I recall them playing Omaha to a tie or one goal deficit after two periods both games to start the year back in October, and then they got completely obliterated in the third. Lack of conditioning would explain why they fell apart so dramatically in the third often this past year, especially early on. Hope this comes true.
                  Yeah those were two good hockey games but they fell off in the third period both nights.

                  The 1 on 1 player evaluations will be telling, I’m torn between wanting to hold onto a couple guys and wanting to start fresh. I figure Dawe, JSS and Hebert will be invited back but not in top 6 roles. I don’t know what the pro prospects look like for Dawe and JSS isn’t the strongest skater. Hebert is probably the best pro prospect so wouldn’t be shocked to see him go. Barr mentioned competition for playing time which I think will really help this team.

                  I’m also wondering who the captains will be on next years team. My bet is Poisson wears the C, Breen, Houle and Breazeale wear the A’s

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
                    I’m also wondering who the captains will be on next years team. My bet is Poisson wears the C, Breen, Houle and Breazeale wear the A’s
                    No problem with any other these four. They had the most consistent effort game-in and game-out all season and have earned the letters.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

                      Yeah those were two good hockey games but they fell off in the third period both nights.

                      The 1 on 1 player evaluations will be telling, I’m torn between wanting to hold onto a couple guys and wanting to start fresh. I figure Dawe, JSS and Hebert will be invited back but not in top 6 roles. I don’t know what the pro prospects look like for Dawe and JSS isn’t the strongest skater. Hebert is probably the best pro prospect so wouldn’t be shocked to see him go. Barr mentioned competition for playing time which I think will really help this team.

                      I’m also wondering who the captains will be on next years team. My bet is Poisson wears the C, Breen, Houle and Breazeale wear the A’s
                      JSS has entered the transfer portal.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

                        JSS has entered the transfer portal.
                        Yeah, I saw this coming. If the guy I talked to back in December is to be believed, who would be one to have insider knowledge on the team, expect the majority of players with an extra year not to use it, at least not at Maine. He even mentioned one junior by name who he expects to quit hockey entirely, not just at Maine, but I don't want to give the name until it's confirmed. He said that there's gonna be an enormous amount of turnover at Maine this offseason, and that almost every senior and some juniors are gonna be done in Orono.

                        Comment


                        • Exactly what Maine needs: a complete overhaul. About time.

                          If the huge Freshman class pans-out, Maine should be in good shape to contend for an NCAA berth in '23-'24.

                          I don't expect the Evil Empire to ever exist again, but I'd happily settle for where UMass, UML and Northeastern are right now, and on an annual basis

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

                            Yeah, I saw this coming. If the guy I talked to back in December is to be believed, who would be one to have insider knowledge on the team, expect the majority of players with an extra year not to use it, at least not at Maine. He even mentioned one junior by name who he expects to quit hockey entirely, not just at Maine, but I don't want to give the name until it's confirmed. He said that there's gonna be an enormous amount of turnover at Maine this offseason, and that almost every senior and some juniors are gonna be done in Orono.
                            Makes sense and with the size of the recruiting class the coaches planned for the mass exodus.

                            I’m far from having insider knowledge on the team but it’s hard for me to imagine Poisson, Bisson, Drobot, Thiessen, Bruneski or Fawcett leaving or quitting hockey. They all should see the ice next year. Bisson will be the most experienced defensemen and he had a really nice season. Poisson had a really strong finish and feels like he’s a leader. Drobot played significant minutes down the stretch and has been a solid guy his whole career. Bruneski took a huge leap this year and I think his skating is strong which seems to be the emphasis for Barr. Fawcett never cemented his role but he managed to have 5 goals which is significant. As for Thiessen, the net is open for the taking if he plays well. None of the goalies separated themselves.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

                              Makes sense and with the size of the recruiting class the coaches planned for the mass exodus.

                              I’m far from having insider knowledge on the team but it’s hard for me to imagine Poisson, Bisson, Drobot, Thiessen, Bruneski or Fawcett leaving or quitting hockey. They all should see the ice next year. Bisson will be the most experienced defensemen and he had a really nice season. Poisson had a really strong finish and feels like he’s a leader. Drobot played significant minutes down the stretch and has been a solid guy his whole career. Bruneski took a huge leap this year and I think his skating is strong which seems to be the emphasis for Barr. Fawcett never cemented his role but he managed to have 5 goals which is significant. As for Thiessen, the net is open for the taking if he plays well. None of the goalies separated themselves.
                              We'll see if his insight comes to fruition or not, but the part I disagree with you on was Theissen and goaltending. I think Ostman clearly established himself as the top goalie on the squad, and in my opinion should enter 2022-23 as the unquestioned starting goalie.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post

                                Makes sense and with the size of the recruiting class the coaches planned for the mass exodus.
                                .
                                Good luck to those guys leaving. Hope they land somewhere and they have some success.

                                I thought I read somewhere that Barr wants 26 or 27 guys on the team for the rebuild. Seems like there is some room for players to return. I can see where some upperclassman might not like the direction the program is going?? ie lack of playing time.
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

                                Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X