This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

Holy Cross or Bentley would've been gross. As far as fan interest, when this team starts winning again (which they will) fan interest will be there. Period/point blank.
    This.

As far as "fan interest".....if Quinnipiac is the #1 team and the country and playing at Alfond.....I think you'll see plenty of interest. Much better than a struggling "legacy" HE team no matter what their jersey reads.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post

In the works but not "official".
      This rumor existed 4 years ago when the Quinnipiac AD met with Joe Bertagna. Time will tell.

Comment

In the works but not "official".
        Pretty sure Quinnipiac is content right where they are.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

Holy Cross or Bentley would've been gross. As far as fan interest, when this team starts winning again (which they will) fan interest will be there. Period/point blank.
          No doubt Quinnipiac is much better right now but will they be in five years? For the vast majority of schools(and for fans) Bentley or Holy Cross would have been a lot easier travel wise which I would think is important.

Pecknold has done an incredible job and no doubt they have been really strong for 10 years or so, I just don’t see them being a great fit for Hockey East. I kind of see this as Notre Dame part II.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

No doubt Quinnipiac is much better right now but will they be in five years? For the vast majority of schools(and for fans) Bentley or Holy Cross would have been a lot easier travel wise which I would think is important.

Pecknold has done an incredible job and no doubt they have been really strong for 10 years or so, I just don’t see them being a great fit for Hockey East. I kind of see this as Notre Dame part II.
            How in any way is Quinnipiac comparable to ND? It's Connecticut, it's only an additional half-hour from Hartford (where UConn hockey is currently living), or an extra hour from Storrs (where they will presumably live in the future). It's the perfect and logical fit for the conference, full stop. Maine already plays them almost every year as it is, the only change would be now its a conference game and it opens up an extra OOC slot. What a ridiculous take.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
              Agreed. Q has done a lot of work and spent a ton of money elevating its academic profile with the law school, med school ,etc.....as well as its athletics profile. The last time this rumbling came around, rumor was the school's brass (i.e. above Pecknold) was quite content having the hockey teams in the ECAC competing against the Ivies.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

This goes beyond just hockey. Time will tell if actually goes down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

Agreed. Q has done a lot of work and spent a ton of money elevating its academic profile with the law school, med school ,etc.....as well as its athletics profile. The last time this rumbling came around, rumor was the school's brass (i.e. above Pecknold) was quite content having the hockey teams in the ECAC competing against the Ivies.
                  Times change....the NCAA is changing. There is a bigger picture that college athletic administrators have to deal with now.

From a Q fan perspective......BC, BU, UConn, Providence, UMass, Northeastern.....vs. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Clarkson, St. Lawrence.....I know which ones would excite me more on an annual basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

How in any way is Quinnipiac comparable to ND? It's Connecticut, it's only an additional half-hour from Hartford (where UConn hockey is currently living), or an extra hour from Storrs (where they will presumably live in the future). It's the perfect and logical fit for the conference, full stop. Maine already plays them almost every year as it is, the only change would be now its a conference game and it opens up an extra OOC slot. What a ridiculous take.
                    Have you ever taken the charter oak bridge or driven on 91 between Hartford and New Haven? That area is a complete nightmare most of the time.

I’d much prefer a few more conference games instead of a few more non conference games.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Have you ever taken the charter oak bridge or driven on 91 between Hartford and New Haven? That area is a complete nightmare most of the time.

I’d much prefer a few more conference games instead of a few more non conference games.
                      I doubt that rush hour traffic over the Charter Oak Bridge or on 91 between Hartford and New Haven is going to play much of a role in these decisions.

Comment

This goes beyond just hockey. Time will tell if actually goes down.
                        The current administration is focused on academics first and foremost. There's no way they would entertain a move to HE because it's better for the team. As has been mentioned, the school loves rubbing shoulders with the Ivy's. Their efforts to grow academics will take precedence over all else.

The only way this becomes even remotely possible is if the Ivy's decide to form their own conference thus leaving the rest of the ECAC hanging.
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        Northeast Regional:

Comment

The current administration is focused on academics first and foremost. There's no way they would entertain a move to HE because it's better for the team. As has been mentioned, the school loves rubbing shoulders with the Ivy's. Their efforts to grow academics will take precedence over all else.

The only way this becomes even remotely possible is if the Ivy's decide to form their own conference thus leaving the rest of the ECAC hanging.
                          Like I said....time will tell.

Not sure how much Q is "rubbing shoulders with the Ivys".....but hey....if you get all googley eyed looking up at Harvard and Yale banners when you attend hockey games.....all the more power to you.

Comment

Not sure how much Q is "rubbing shoulders with the Ivys".....but hey....if you get all googley eyed looking up at Harvard and Yale banners when you attend hockey games.....all the more power to you.
                            It has nothing to do with athletics.
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            Northeast Regional:

Comment

It has nothing to do with athletics.
                              If it has nothing to do with athletics what difference does it make what conference they are in?
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                If it has nothing to do with athletics what difference does it make what conference they are in?
                                No difference... except there's no academic reason to support a conference change for 2 teams.

The previous administration used athletics to sell the university. I don't think the current admin cares to prioritize athletics to sell their education products. There's a reason QU has a law school and a medical school, and it's not to attract hockey players, or any other athletes for that matter.
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                Northeast Regional:

Comment

Working...
                                X