Alabama-Huntsville Suspends Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama-Huntsville Suspends Program

UAH is suspending their program for the 2021-22 season due to the lack of a conference home.

https://uahchargers.com/news/2021/5/...DDMlDO1bDFw5Ow
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Sad! And what's Tennessee State going to do for a conference if they start a program and isn't ASU still on the outside looking in?
    Those 3 right there are half a conference. Just need 3 more teams.

Comment

The way that reads if AHA says no, they are done. Hell of a position to AHA in. Personally, I'd tell them to pound sand after a move like that.

Comment

I get that these are big decisions and millions of dollars are at play here. However from exterior appearances, fans/alumni of UAH hockey have done nothing but jump through one flaming hoop after another, doing everything that was asked of them to keep this program moving forward. But this constant "we're all in, hockey is back" and "we're shut down again, hockey is gone" is KILLING the program regardless of how much money they raise.

Shut the program down once - hey it happens. Many teams have been on the brink and had to take a hard look at things. Shut the program down twice - Ok the WCHA is ending but UAF has already stated they will at least play on as an independent so UAH should be be able to do the same. Shut the program down a THIRD time - now you officially have become a circus and the administration of the U of A system is just treating the hockey program, staff, players and fans like total garbage. Is there such a thing as Division I, privately funded (club) hockey? Frankly that is what the Chargers need to be at this point. Tell the state university system to take a flying leap and go it alone without any state support or control over the future of the program. It is clear the Chargers have plenty of support but the U of A system just can't get out of their way.
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

This is terrible new. Why wouldn't they wait to suspend operations until they heard back from the AHA? Why do they need a conference with UAF and ASU out there? That should be 6-8 games easily. If they have to spend a season or two on the road, so be it. With Lindenwood on the verge of D1 (a bus ride away) in the next year or two and TSU looking at having a D1 program, they could be in a prime situation to be independent or make a new conference.

I want to see UAH make it, but the way they are run it is hard to pull for them.

Comment

UAH drops hockey program for 3rd time after empty search for conference - al.com

Comment

Enough of this already. I don't take pleasure in them folding but it's just not in the cards under the current landscape. Maybe something changes down the line where they can resurrect the program but that is probably years away.

Comment

I made it a point to go to UAH games at the VonBraun Center a couple of times when I was in Huntsville on business. Attendance was little more than an intimate gathering of family and friends, which surprised me considering that Huntsville has a decades-old youth hockey program so its not like the game is unknown there. Community and institutional support looked to be just not there.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                  This is terrible new. Why wouldn't they wait to suspend operations until they heard back from the AHA? Why do they need a conference with UAF and ASU out there? That should be 6-8 games easily. If they have to spend a season or two on the road, so be it. With Lindenwood on the verge of D1 (a bus ride away) in the next year or two and TSU looking at having a D1 program, they could be in a prime situation to be independent or make a new conference.

I want to see UAH make it, but the way they are run it is hard to pull for them.
                  If UAH is waiting for Tennessee State to have hockey before getting up and running, then UAH is never coming back.

It's clear at this point that the University of Alabama system does not want this program to exist, and while UAH boosters/alumni can keep hitting six figure fundraising numbers there isn't a big eight figure donation out there that would endow the program and keep it afloat into perpetuity.

Comment

Keep in mind: TN St is just doing a feasibility study.

Plenty of schools have done feasibility studies and had nothing come from it.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Accept UAH into the AHA

https://www.change.org/p/atlantic-ho...h-into-the-aha

Comment

UAH will be fine after Lindenwood, and Liberty, and Tennessee State are up and running ... oh ... wait ...
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                        X