UMASS-NEWMASS Offseason/Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Yeah. North Dakota hasn't had to deal with over-controlling parents before. This is a first. (it's at a time like this that I wish the board permitted the eyeroll emoji).

In any event, I don't want to derail this thread arguing with someone who admittedly doesn't know the details. Fact is, Massachusetts got a really good hockey player. Our loss. Your gain. Kudos on the addition and good luck to the kid out in Hockey East.
    'Watcher has been monitoring Morrow's situation literally for years, well before NoDak even entered the picture. It's what he does, and he clearly has insight into the kid's family that few (if any?) on here have. So you may want to de-commit from your proposed eyeroll emoji ... ;-)
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

'Watcher has been monitoring Morrow's situation literally for years, well before NoDak even entered the picture. It's what he does, and he clearly has insight into the kid's family that few (if any?) on here have. So you may want to de-commit from your proposed eyeroll emoji ... ;-)
      You may want to re-read 'Watcher's post where he admitted he did not know the details of this situation. My information comes from people who have substantial details on the situation (including a coach with Shattuck St. Mary's, and a coach from a USHL team that Morrow bailed on because of his dad's influence). So, yeah...you might want to delete your post. ; - )

Again, I really didn't want to derail this thread arguing with people who are talking out of their asses. The kid has daddy issues that Massachusetts will now have to deal with, but it should not dampen Massachusetts fans' excitement about landing Morrow. He is a highly skilled defenseman who will be a great contributor to their team. Our loss. UMASS' gain. Kudos on the addition and good luck to the kid out in Hockey East.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Watcher is a little too wound up about verbal commitments. Everyone knows what they are and what they aren't. A kid is not guaranteed a spot to play college hockey/sports, especially under their preferred circumstances. Welcome to life.

Comment

UMass Hockey @UMassHockey
          Thrilled to announce that @bobbytrivigno will wear the “C” for us in 2021-22 and @Colinfelix26 and @mkessel72 will wear the “A”s

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            You may want to re-read 'Watcher's post where he admitted he did not know the details of this situation. My information comes from people who have substantial details on the situation (including a coach with Shattuck St. Mary's, and a coach from a USHL team that Morrow bailed on because of his dad's influence). So, yeah...you might want to delete your post. ; - )
            Seems you both have solid sourcing with insight into half the story, from opposing perspectives.

I'm sure you'd agree, programs at any level who have a player de-commit are rarely complimentary of the perceived source of the de-commit, if not the de-commit himself.

So I take the hearsay cited above with a grain of salt, with all due respect. Because it's hearsay.

My apologies for temporarily hijacking this thread, probably should have left the original combatants to fight it out, I'll retire to the locker room with a 3rd-man-in game DQ. ;-)

Comment

I know zip about this player or his situation but I know that Carvel places a high premium on character. My guess is that Carvel/Barr vetted the situation thoroughly before inviting him to UMASS.

Comment

Morrow's USHL rights were with Youngstown, Sioux City, and Fargo, ... just in the last year. No red flags there. (I need 23's eye-roll emoji here.)

Maybe it's me, but I trust Brad Berry over a recruit's dad.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  Every college defenseman of the last 15 years is a couple notches below Makar.
                  The Philly Ghost is worth a mention in the conversation.

I believe Jake Sanderson will be the comparison soon enough.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

The Philly Ghost is worth a mention in the conversation.

I believe Jake Sanderson will be the comparison soon enough.
                    Makar could turn into one of the best d-men to ever play the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
                      Hey all, congrats on the Natty. I'm a Maine fan, so the topic may be sensitive...but have to ask, what are you all hearing about Barr potentially landing in Orono? Anything?
                      Barr is an appealing candidate on a number of levels, but he has been regularly mentioned for openings for four or five years, and a finalist in at least one or two situations, only to have it not work out. I think that he's had bad luck with matching the timing and context of certain opportunities with his resume at the time, and that's mostly out of his control. Not having pro assistant experience hasn't helped him either. Maybe being the top assistant for the National Champions will put him over the top in the very near future. His recruiting record is just too strong to be ignored. How his resume stacks up to Maine's checklist is something I don't have a strong opinion on.
                      Last edited by DavidNardolillo; 05-06-2021, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Watcher is a little too wound up about verbal commitments.
                        Verbal commitments ain't worth the paper they're printed on. < wink >

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Appreciate you guys entertaining this lifelong Black Bear fan on your thread. I'm originally from mass, and always knew UMA was a sleeping giant, glad you all are finally reaping the rewards of a competent administration and staff. Rumor is job at Maine is closed, with Barr, Guite, and Scott Pellerin as the final three candidates. Who knows. But Barr seems like the perfect fit for Maine, and for him. You will lose him eventually, but I think any college hockey fan would admit it would be good for the game to have Maine be relevant again!

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                            UMass Hockey @UMassHockey
                            Thrilled to announce that @bobbytrivigno will wear the “C” for us in 2021-22 and @Colinfelix26 and @mkessel72 will wear the “A”s
                            This is great news. There was a little concern that Travigno and Kessel might sign pro contracts. Geared up for another great year in 21-22. GO UMASS!

Comment

Congrats to Ben Barr on getting the Maine job. I'm not into the ins and outs of hockey recruiting but wonder how this will impact UMASS. Who takes his place? Any thoughts out there?

Comment

Originally posted by kahunak View Post
                                Congrats to Ben Barr on getting the Maine job. I'm not into the ins and outs of hockey recruiting but wonder how this will impact UMASS. Who takes his place? Any thoughts out there?
                                Interested in this as well. Anyone who watched Barr's press conference yesterday could easily figure out why he was just so successful with his recruiting pitch at multiple programs, and will almost certainly keep that streak alive at UMaine. But his departure does leave a gaping hole in the UMass program. I'm sure UMass is stacked with a few years of recruits in the pipeline due to Barr's previous work, and from competing for (and then winning) the D-1 title for the last few seasons ... can Coach Carvel keep that machine humming beyond the last of the Barr recruits, and if not, when does it start to show? You just don't grow successful recruiters like Ben Barr on trees. Who steps into the breach, and how long can they keep it going?

Comment

Working...
                                X