UMASS-NEWMASS Offseason/Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMASS-NEWMASS Offseason/Recruits

UMASS has lost a bunch of players from the National Championship team (I can't believe I can even type that!)-Jones, Gicewicz and Del Gaizo signed pro contracts, Chau and Laganov transferred. Murray graduating? Looks like Travigno and Linberg are staying-keeping my fingers crossed. They have a couple of transfers from the Ivy League. Does anyone have a sense of how many recruits are coming in?

Slava Demin looks like he is transferring from Denver. Fits into Zac Jones' spot perhaps.

Comment

I don’t follow recruiting but apparently UMass just flipped a recruit from UND who might be a first or second round pick:

https://***********/nathanpstrauss/s...114518545?s=21
      #NewMass

Comment

Hey all, congrats on the Natty. I'm a Maine fan, so the topic may be sensitive...but have to ask, what are you all hearing about Barr potentially landing in Orono? Anything?

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
          I don’t follow recruiting but apparently UMass just flipped a recruit from UND who might be a first or second round pick:

https://***********/nathanpstrauss/s...114518545?s=21
          Morrow is a highly skilled defenseman, and I think you will thoroughly enjoy seeing him on the ice for your squad. I would anticipate he is far more likely a second round pick (or perhaps even a third-rounder) than a first round pick, and he is definitely a couple notches below Makar (who isn't). However, he is definitely a good get. He has a bit of a history of jumping around from one team to another, and his dad is...unique (read into that what you want). North Dakota wanted him to hold off on coming in for a year, as we have a bit of a backlog of talent on our blueline and Morrow probably would have been a third-pair/7th D-man this upcoming season. Morrow (and his dad) didn't like that, and decided to look elsewhere. Our loss. Your gain. Kudos on the addition and good luck to the kid out in Hockey East.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Every college defenseman of the last 15 years is a couple notches below Makar.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
              Every college defenseman of the last 15 years is a couple notches below Makar.
              You could maybe through Gostisbehere in the mix (I'm certain you are familiar with his abilities ; ) ). He was probably only a notch below Makar. : )
              North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                and his dad is...unique (read into that what you want).
                Yes, not a hockey lifer from Canada told to have blind adherence to what he's told by coaches, but an MBA from Cornell and used to dealing with powerful finance people. So, when he chose North Dakota with the understanding of a one year deferral, he could not be sweet talked into waiting another year to start his son in college in favor of two transfers they brought in in the last minute. That's what you meant, right?
                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 05-05-2021, 06:33 PM.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Yes, not a hockey lifer from Canada told to have blind adherence to what he's told by coaches, but an MBA from Cornell and used to dealing with powerful finance people. So, when he chose North Dakota with the understanding of a one year deferral, he could not be sweet talked into waiting another year to start his son in college in favor of two transfers they brought in in the last minute. That's what you meant, right?
                  An over-controlling, obsessed with and now living vicariously through his son, type-father? That is one of the inferences that was suggested, yes. ; )

ETA: I'm not sure we are talking about the same dad. I'm talking about Morrow's dad.
                  Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 05-05-2021, 06:58 PM.
                  North Dakota

Comment

An over-controlling, obsessed with and now living vicariously through his son, type-father? That is one of the inferences that was suggested, yes. ; )

ETA: I'm not sure we are talking about the same dad. I'm talking about Morrow's dad.
                    We are talking about the same guy. His dad got his MBA from a top 15 business school, Cornell, and now is a portfolio manager in New York. I don't know the details about him, but doubt he is living through his son, or being controlling. If I were to bet, it's probably more a case of college coaches used to telling players when they will arrive. Having a parent say no is not what they are used to, so probably characterize that as a negative for a parent.

The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

We are talking about the same guy. His dad got his MBA from a top 15 business school, Cornell, and now is a portfolio manager in New York. I don't know the details about him, but doubt he is living through his son, or being controlling. If I were to bet, it's probably more a case of college coaches used to telling players when they will arrive. Having a parent say no is not what they are used to, so probably characterize that as a negative for a parent.
                      Yeah. North Dakota hasn't had to deal with over-controlling parents before. This is a first. (it's at a time like this that I wish the board permitted the eyeroll emoji).

In any event, I don't want to derail this thread arguing with someone who admittedly doesn't know the details. Fact is, Massachusetts got a really good hockey player. Our loss. Your gain. Kudos on the addition and good luck to the kid out in Hockey East.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Yeah. North Dakota hasn't had to deal with over-controlling parents before. This is a first. (it's at a time like this that I wish the board permitted the eyeroll emoji).

In any event, I don't want to derail this thread arguing with someone who admittedly doesn't know the details. Fact is, Massachusetts got a really good hockey player. Our loss. Your gain. Kudos on the addition and good luck to the kid out in Hockey East.
                        I’d imagine long time UNH fans are very familiar with Morrow and his father (and his uncle). I’d also imagine UND coaches would want a reason for why a high-end NHL commitment decided to move on...

His father played - and had his experience already - he doesn’t need to live through his son and knows the game. Sounds like he wasn’t interested in his kid getting played...

UND isn’t the first program to lose a kid because they pressured a deferral and they won’t be the last. None of the spin is necessary.
                        Last edited by Dan; 05-05-2021, 08:26 PM.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

I’d imagine long time UNH fans are very familiar with Morrow and his father (and his uncle). I’d also imagine UND coaches would want a reason for why a high-end NHL commitment decided to move on...

His father played - and had his experience already - he doesn’t need to live through his son and knows the game. Sounds like he wasn’t interested in his kid getting played...

UND isn’t the first program to lose a kid because they pressured a deferral and they won’t be the last. None of the spin is necessary.
                          You are somewhat correct. UND wanted Morrow to come to Grand Forks for the 2022-2023 season because we have a backlog of talent on the blueline and Morrow would have gotten third-pair/7th D-man minutes. Morrow's dad thought his son should get more playing time, so Morrow decommitted and went to Massachusetts where he will get the opportunity to be on the ice more often. It's a better situation for Morrow, who has higher ambitions than college. If I were in his shoes (and assuming I had no real connection to UND), I probably would have done the same thing. As I've said numerous times in this thread, he's a highly talented player, and Massachusetts got a good one with Morrow. I wish him the best of luck at UMASS and beyond.

That being said, there are known issues as to how the dad has dictated his kid's hockey career. North Dakota isn't the only program/team that has had to deal with it. If you want to ignore it, that's fine.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Jackcurtis23 View Post
                            Hey all, congrats on the Natty. I'm a Maine fan, so the topic may be sensitive...but have to ask, what are you all hearing about Barr potentially landing in Orono? Anything?
                            I don’t have any inside info. Barr will eventually be a head coach. Coach Carvel has acknowledged that multiple times. I’m hoping eventually is at least one more season away. I read the Maine thread daily to see if any of you know anything about it (insert smiley face).
                            #NewMass

Comment

Morrow is a highly skilled defenseman, and I think you will thoroughly enjoy seeing him on the ice for your squad. I would anticipate he is far more likely a second round pick (or perhaps even a third-rounder) than a first round pick, and he is definitely a couple notches below Makar (who isn't). However, he is definitely a good get. He has a bit of a history of jumping around from one team to another, and his dad is...unique (read into that what you want). North Dakota wanted him to hold off on coming in for a year, as we have a bit of a backlog of talent on our blueline and Morrow probably would have been a third-pair/7th D-man this upcoming season. Morrow (and his dad) didn't like that, and decided to look elsewhere. Our loss. Your gain. Kudos on the addition and good luck to the kid out in Hockey East.
                              Thanks for the info. I’m looking forward to seeing him play.
                              #NewMass

Comment

Working...
                              X