No announcement yet.

Tennessee State considering DI ice hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking up from the previous comment, I just don't see D1 hockey at TSU making sense on any level. Some obvious questions:

Where will the money come from? TSU's entire endowment ($61.6 million) isn't even enough to cover startup costs. So unless there's a Terry Pegula-type megadonor (noted alumna Oprah, maybe?) waiting in the wings, I don't see how it even gets off the ground. TSU is a comparatively small school (5,875 undergrads) by D1 standards so the alumni base is likely too small to sustain a substantial fundraising campaign, especially for something like a hockey program. That seemingly leaves the Preds and the state taxpayers.

Where would their fan base come from? Beyond the immediate TSU community, college sports interest in the Nashville area centers on Vanderbilt. That's not going to change.

Where will they play? There are several rinks in the Nashville area, including two that the Preds apparently have ownership interest in, but these are typical neighborhood/recreational facilities with a couple of hundred bench seats, at most. If TSU chooses to build it's own venue, it would be a big plus-up to the startup costs.

I certainly wish TSU all the best but even if a well-meaning megadonor is ready to pick up the startup tab, I'd remain concerned at the ability of such a comparatively small school with such a small endowment to sustain a D1 program going forward.
    Last edited by Split-N; 05-23-2021, 09:24 AM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      Picking up from the previous comment, I just don't see D1 hockey at TSU making sense on any level. Some obvious questions:

Where will the money come from? TSU's entire endowment ($61.6 million) isn't even enough to cover startup costs. So unless there's a Terry Pegula-type megadonor (noted alumna Oprah, maybe?) waiting in the wings, I don't see how it even gets off the ground. TSU is a comparatively small school (5,875 undergrads) by D1 standards so the alumni base is likely too small to sustain a substantial fundraising campaign, especially for something like a hockey program. That seemingly leaves the Preds and the state taxpayers.

Where would their fan base come from? Beyond the immediate TSU community, college sports interest in the Nashville area centers on Vanderbilt. That's not going to change.

Where will they play? There are several rinks in the Nashville area, including two that the Preds apparently have ownership interest in, but these are typical neighborhood/recreational facilities with a couple of hundred bench seats, at most. If TSU chooses to build it's own venue, it would be a big plus-up to the startup costs.

I certainly wish TSU all the best but even if a well-meaning megadonor is ready to pick up the startup tab, I'd remain concerned at the ability of such a comparatively small school with such a small endowment to sustain a D1 program going forward.
      That's why they're doing a study- I'm sure all those questions will be asked. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but outside of the few within TSU involved in this, we're just operating on assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post

Please don’t misconstrue this as I would love to see the sport grow and this is not meant to be a racist statement. TSU is a historic Black university with about a 84% non-white student population. Honest question…do they see themselves as a possible magnet for those who don’t fit the stereotypical white middle-class hockey player? There have been over 100 black NHL players so the potential of having a competitive team is there.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post

Please don’t misconstrue this as I would love to see the sport grow and this is not meant to be a racist statement. TSU is a historic Black university with about a 84% non-white student population. Honest question…do they see themselves as a possible magnet for those who don’t fit the stereotypical white middle-class hockey player? There have been over 100 black NHL players so the potential of having a competitive team is there.
          Some HBCUs are actively trying to grow enrollment by adding more non-African American students. I do not know if Tennessee State is considering such a strategy. If they are, perhaps launching a Division I hockey program could help.
          Bowling Green: 1984 National Champion

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post

Canada does regularly produce non-white players. You just got to make a better case than Major Juniors.
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Canada does regularly produce non-white players...
              Not just Canada. There are plenty of non-white players coming up through the USA Hockey programs. The question is if they can be developed in sufficient numbers to establish and sustain a program(s) at the D1 level.

"Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Schadenfreude View Post

Some HBCUs are actively trying to grow enrollment by adding more non-African American students. I do not know if Tennessee State is considering such a strategy. If they are, perhaps launching a Division I hockey program could help.
                TSU already has a few teams that are majority white. Tennis and softball, particularly.

Comment

RMU's announcement yesterday and this do not make for a great conjunction. RMU has to give pause to TSU.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                    RMU's announcement yesterday and this do not make for a great conjunction. RMU has to give pause to TSU.
                    Unrelated scenarios, though, isn’t it?

Theres not really been any actual problem with the program presented by RMU. They even announced how strong their funding is at large. Obviously not everything is public knowledge, but from what I’ve been able to see the President just decided to cut it… because.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Unrelated scenarios, though, isn’t it?

Theres not really been any actual problem with the program presented by RMU. They even announced how strong their funding is at large. Obviously not everything is public knowledge, but from what I’ve been able to see the President just decided to cut it… because.
                      So RMU cut hockey because ... reasons.

< sigh >
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Speculation I saw on another discussion about RMU dropping hockey is that their facility may be in need of some major work? From the CHN article:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Announces.php

"The decision to discontinue the men’s and women’s ice hockey programs was made based on an analysis which included scholarships and operating costs, and the necessary investments to maintain and improve the current facility," the school said in a statement.
                        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                          Speculation I saw on another discussion about RMU dropping hockey is that their facility may be in need of some major work?
                          That would be me. The rink is 23 years old and based its age and the answer I think it's likely that RMU was looking at some serious decisions regarding replacing/upgrading the ice making equipment. As I recall Alaska fans mentioned how the Carlson Center (1990) was in serious need of replacements to its systems a year or two ago and a look on the web shows that in 2019 the ice plant, ice rink and upper roof, as well as other areas were nominated for replacement. The February 2021 Capital Improvements Program projects report shows that Fairbanks is moving ahead with a mobile ice plant and ice field for the Carlson Center to replace the current ones at a cost of $1.5 million, plus replacing the upper roof for $2.5 million.

Sean

Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            I've mentioned this on other threads, but previous reporting suggests that RMU was heavily dependent on tuition revenue prior to COVID-19 and that a drop in enrollment caused some painful cuts in January 2019. Unclear whether continued enrollment pressure was a factor here, but hard to imagine the enrollment landscape being much better than 2019. I am guessing that the fundraising highlighted includes restricted funds that might have been difficult to direct towards hockey, but that's just a guess based on my understanding of endowments and endowment accounting.

Comment

So…

Its likely club hockey (which probably goes a bit towards explaining some of the hedging language when CHI talked about it at this years frozen four), but that’s still pretty cool.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Yes, it will start as a club. With aspirations ...

https://collegehockeyinc.com/article...ey-program.php
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X