No announcement yet.

RPI 2020 Off-season Overtime (Part II): The Hunt for Red October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was definitely a weird game RB. BTW, I think we may have one of the largest number of players on any DIII team. When they first came out I thought they were swarming the field. However, and i could be way off on this, we do not seem to have that much individual size. Both offensive and defensive lines seem smaller than in past years. Not sure how that compares to Hobart and Union but perhaps as the season goes on the roster will show the boys as gaining some weight!
    That last drive benefited from two long penalties against the opponent in addition to that final tipped pass which end up scoring the sinning TD. If we won with a bit of good fortune, so be it. Over the years we have certainly lost many times because of the lack of such.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Question for anyone who knows (??Ralph)- because this first hockey game will be an exhibition, even though against a Division I and league foe, will any of the statistics count??

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        Question for anyone who knows (??Ralph)- because this first hockey game will be an exhibition, even though against a Division I and league foe, will any of the statistics count??
        No they will not count

Comment

It was definitely a weird game RB. BTW, I think we may have one of the largest number of players on any DIII team. When they first came out I thought they were swarming the field. However, and i could be way off on this, we do not seem to have that much individual size. Both offensive and defensive lines seem smaller than in past years. Not sure how that compares to Hobart and Union but perhaps as the season goes on the roster will show the boys as gaining some weight!
          That last drive benefited from two long penalties against the opponent in addition to that final tipped pass which end up scoring the sinning TD. If we won with a bit of good fortune, so be it. Over the years we have certainly lost many times because of the lack of such.
          Either RPI TV invested in much better crowd microphones or there was a really good and loud crowd on hand. With all of the COVID restrictions I hope they emphasize athletic contests as a way to get out of the dorms and support fellow students.

Comment

• In honor of Shane Sellar and Mikayla Capelle, today is 6 September 2021. There are 26 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

Either RPI TV invested in much better crowd microphones or there was a really good and loud crowd on hand. With all of the COVID restrictions I hope they emphasize athletic contests as a way to get out of the dorms and support fellow students.
              I noted what you did- there did seem to be a lot of support noise. Perhaps the microphones were just situated near the only 4 or 5 people attending? Odd looking across and seeing totally empty stands except for one lone person.

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post

No they will not count
                Sez-thanks for the answer. Since nothing will count, if I was on the ice I don't think I would take any extra chance that might lead to a season ending injury. i have said this before but usually in referring to the Mayor's Trophy Game. There are a lot of reasons to try to get a win over Union in this exhibition but after all, it is meaningless. Every weekend after that game is far more important. I would just like to see everyone get some ice time and a bit of experience.

Comment

Sez-thanks for the answer. Since nothing will count, if I was on the ice I don't think I would take any extra chance that might lead to a season ending injury. i have said this before but usually in referring to the Mayor's Trophy Game. There are a lot of reasons to try to get a win over Union in this exhibition but after all, it is meaningless. Every weekend after that game is far more important. I would just like to see everyone get some ice time and a bit of experience.
                  No problem DrD. I'm sure they think the same. The exhibition is always less intense and more about shaking off rust

Comment

• It sounds like this season they are going to let students attend the games for free to promote attendance

Comment

I noted what you did- there did seem to be a lot of support noise. Perhaps the microphones were just situated near the only 4 or 5 people attending? Odd looking across and seeing totally empty stands except for one lone person.
                      I noticed the lack of visitors and was going to make a snide remark about the fan base of a NJ commuter school when I remembered that we wouldn’t let them in. I thought about how ****ed I’d be if I drove 150 miles only to be told I couldn’t even buy a ticket. I guess I’d watch the game from the hill behind the visitor’s side and swear at RPI.

On a (barely) related note, Montclair State is the home of New York Red Bulls 2, the reserve (minor league) team for the MLS side. Last year they were playing Hartford in a (for them) big game and COVID blocked admission so the Hartford supporters set up shop in the parking garage overlooking the stadium.

Lacking a direct view into the rink, does anyone have a small generator or inverter and 50”+ TV to set up outside HFH for a tailgate and RPI TV viewing party?
                      Last edited by rpi82; 09-06-2021, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• In honor of Ryan Mahshie and Sarah Bukvic, today is 7 September 2021. There are 25 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post

No problem DrD. I'm sure they think the same. The exhibition is always less intense and more about shaking off rust
                          True - but then again this is Union we are playing and not a Canadian school like we have done so many times. I just hope that no one is thinking of this as a rivalry type game or trying to set a precedent for the 3 or more games later this year. When younger (much younger) I played this game and something strange happens once you step onto the ice. Off the ice you can remain a gentleman but once you get out there and take the first hit, you can forget about all of that and go out and just try to score and hit as hard as you can. Should make for an interesting exercise this year!

Comment

For anyone interested -RPI TV has started the broadcast of today's football contest with Montclair State. Go RED!!!!!!! This may not be one of those easy first games like we often schedule. Montclair is and has been a good team in the past few years.
                            If RPI-TV is doing the football home games, can we expect (hope?) that they'll be allowed to broadcast the HFH games ? Or would that be asking too much from the dictator ?
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

If RPI-TV is doing the football home games, can we expect (hope?) that they'll be allowed to broadcast the HFH games ? Or would that be asking too much from the dictator ?
                              I would think so, but she could say that an enclosed venue is different from an open one.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Today is 3 September 2021. There are 29 days until RPI's next game.

Add Marah Wagner, previously of Robert Morris, now on our women's team.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X