Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NAFTA123 View Post

Potential for a Robert Morris 2.0 ??

I'm somewhat joking, but if RMU administration can pull the plug with no warning, no telling what SAJ has up her sleeve. And don't think it can't happen, because RMU had absolutely no idea what was coming down. Again, until I see a puck drop at the Fieldhouse, I'm going to a bit on the cautious side.
    Most university presidents are not sports centric and that certainly includes Shirley. However, she does know that hockey is a key part of our history and a path to alumni support, which is why they used to have Seth attend some key fund-raising events. RMU had no history in hockey and averaged about 50% attendance in their 1,500 seat rink. It was an easy cut for them to make and after a few days where people paid attention, RMU's program will follow in the history of Fairfield, Kent State, Illinois-Chicago and others that have dropped D1 hockey over the decades with few even remembering them. That would not be the case at RPI.

As for Coach Smith's contract, I doubt Shirley even knows it's due. That's the AD's job and I expect it to be addressed before the season starts. IIRC Seth got a 5 year deal and it was a mistake. I agree with Ralph and sezenack that a shorter term deal such as 3 years makes sense. Furthermore, they can tell him that a winning season in either of the next two years will trigger a roll-over for another 3 years from that point in time. I will be very surprised if we don't hear by the opening of practice that he's signed an extension.
    Last edited by rpi82; 06-19-2021, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Potential for a Robert Morris 2.0 ??

I'm somewhat joking, but if RMU administration can pull the plug with no warning, no telling what SAJ has up her sleeve. And don't think it can't happen, because RMU had absolutely no idea what was coming down. Again, until I see a puck drop at the Fieldhouse, I'm going to a bit on the cautious side.
      You may not have to worry about being at or seeing anything either at the Fieldhouse or anywhere else on their property for that matter.

As of their last protocol update dated June 7, all "outside contaminates" (like us) are still barred from the property. The only exception appears for high school kids on college visits.

Those allowed to enter (students, faculty, staff, independent contractors, etc., etc.) not only need to be fully vaccinated (not unreasonable) but also have to still wear masks indoors AND be tested on a very regular basis or show a recent negative test. All antidotal information makes it appear that the tests are administered by rank and file institutional staff whose entire medical expertise was what they obtained watching a video lasting a few minutes.

Even if they grace us with allowing our attendance, I would find having to comply with those requirements totally unacceptable and would spend well over $400 (including parking and football tickets) elsewhere or leave it in the bank. Those conditions may be tolerable for kids working toward a degree that starts them at around $70,000 a year (Money Magazine based on 2018 data) or those whose livelihood depends on compliance. Not a chance for those only seeking a night out at a sports entertainment venue.

With the totally understandable exception of medical facilities, there are no more masks being worn by me and just about everyone else I know and run in to when out and about. The self appointed saviors of the masses will not be changing that. While I am fully vaccinated, I have never been tested nor ever had any reason to be. That is also not about to change because the saviors think it's a good idea for Debbie from Development, Gabby from Grants or Peggy from Procurement to shove a stick up peoples noses or in their mouths. Any of these "highly trained and skilled medical people" screws up once and it is on you, you will be the one finding yourself being hounded day and night by people from the state isolation and quarantine group. No thanks.

All of us PAYING CUSTOMERS (not subjects or serfs) should make it crystal clear before sending the regime a penny what is acceptable behavior from them toward us which is not to be exceeded or abused by inherently very abusive people obsessed and drunk with power and control. Acceptable behavior should be limited to asking to see your Excelsior Pass (for New York residents) that you can download after being fully vaccinated. Also acceptable, if they invest in the technology, is scanning the bar code on the pass which verifies it's authenticity and, of course, asking to see another form of ID which matches the pass. Doing it every single solitary game is also acceptable. Who in their right mind would get upset at anyone who takes extra steps to keep people away from you that should possibly not be around you? This should be more than enough to insure being left alone in order to enjoy a night out. If the powers to be won't fork that over, then just don't send them any money and don't go there. Instead, do something else like an independent league ballpark that I can walk to from my home. They are not only not bothering anyone, they are not even asking to see the dammed pass and that is not next October. It is RIGHT NOW.

Comment

• Today is 19 June 2021. There are 105 days (15 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Today is 20 June 2021. There are 104 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Tony, as a non-resident of New York State, this is the first I have heard of an Excelsior Pass. I'm wondering what sort of requirements there are in regard to that pass.

I know that here in Pennsylvania, where we have a Republican legislature and a Democratic governor, the legislators let it be known very early that they were solidly against the idea of what they called a "vaccine passport." The governor said he wasn't planning to ask for such a thing - I'm not sure whether that's because he didn't think it was a good idea or because he knew there was no chance he'd ever be able to get it past the legislature - so we don't have one.

I've been vaccinated. I do have a card marked with my name and the dates and locations of my two shots, together with the name of the vaccine that was administered.

If I make the trek to Troy for Homecoming this year, go up to the Field House, show them my vaccination card, and ask to buy a ticket to the hockey game, will they sell me one, or will I hear "What! You don't have an Excelsior Pass? Go back to wherever it is you came from."

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
              Tony, as a non-resident of New York State, this is the first I have heard of an Excelsior Pass. I'm wondering what sort of requirements there are in regard to that pass.

I know that here in Pennsylvania, where we have a Republican legislature and a Democratic governor, the legislators let it be known very early that they were solidly against the idea of what they called a "vaccine passport." The governor said he wasn't planning to ask for such a thing - I'm not sure whether that's because he didn't think it was a good idea or because he knew there was no chance he'd ever be able to get it past the legislature - so we don't have one.

I've been vaccinated. I do have a card marked with my name and the dates and locations of my two shots, together with the name of the vaccine that was administered.

If I make the trek to Troy for Homecoming this year, go up to the Field House, show them my vaccination card, and ask to buy a ticket to the hockey game, will they sell me one, or will I hear "What! You don't have an Excelsior Pass? Go back to wherever it is you came from."
              Glad you asked. When retracing the steps involved to get an Excelsior Pass and make sure I knew what I was talking about, I found the expiration date on mine was extended from Sept., 2021 to April, 2022. Did anyone from either the state dictatorship (and a horny one at that) or the "highly competent and always truthful" media let us in on it??? Nope!!! Guess we were all left to find out about it by accident and print the new pass. Assuming what now seems to be the obvious, it appears there will not be any "booster shots" required in the fall of 2021.

None the less, at the beginning NY establishments were supposedly going to honor either the computer generated pass or, at minimum, the NY version of the hand written vaccination card like the one you have. However, in reality and from the very onset, I have yet to be asked by a single establishment to show anything. It appears that virtually all the Capital District of NY establishments have instituted nothing more than the honor system.

But then there is the great world renowned Rensselaer and, as we all know, they operate in a world in and of themselves and of their own making. Who the hell knows what they are going to want from you in order to enter their kingdom. Purchase and wear a NASA certified space suit? Or will merely sending away to the Captain Video Space Academy for a replica of the official Captain Video space helmet like the one Ed Norton (Art Carney) wore do? Will you have to also raise your right hand while wearing the official Captain Video space helmet and recite the Captain Video pledge?

There have been blanks and duds running that place before and there doubtless will be again. The previous worst one I am aware of was a Buffon from the early to mid 70's whose name I am just too lazy to look up. That time it took nothing less than the great Dr. George Low succeeding the clown to fix that mess. Unfortunately, another great leader like that will have to again miraculously fall in to their lap to fix the present mess. Don't like the odds of that repeating and would not bet much on it happening again. By some chance, should they be lucky enough to find another Dr. Low somewhere, the earliest part of that poor souls tenure at Rensselaer would likely be dominated by trying to get many current Rensselaer students, many Rensselaer alumni and a significant number of FORMER HEAVY Rensselaer donors to simply stop hating Rensselaer's guts.

Here in NY the pass is the far better option. For starters the pass prints wallet size with no pen ink on it while the NY vaccination card is simply too big to fit in to any wallet without folding it and has information on it written in ink. In fact, the people at the vaccination site I dealt with made a point of telling me not to fold the original card and put it in my wallet. According to them, the cheap paper stock used for the vaccination card would not last very long folded in a wallet and body heat may make the handwritten information on it smudge and run making it illegible. Instead, they recommended making copies of the card and putting a copy in your wallet while storing the original safely with the rest of your vital documents. Supposedly, getting the original vaccination card replaced is an absolute nightmare while replacing the pass involves little more than going to a web site. Finally, the pass includes a scannable bar code that assures it is authentic when combined with a photo ID (don't ask me how) as opposed to the vaccination card which, according to some news accounts, can be and have been easily faked.

How do NY residents obtain an Excelsior Pass? Start by running a search for NY Excelsior Pass which will lead you to the state website. Hit the get started option that fits you best which includes just printing the thing. Scroll through the long agreement that comes up and click the button at the end. Complete the first screen that only asks for your name, DOB, zip code and phone number then hit continue. Complete the second screen that only asks for the date of your second shot, the county you got it in and the brand name of the dose then hit continue. Within seconds a your pass is ready message comes up and you can then choose to have it sent to a device or just print it.

Comment

• Today is 21 June 2021. There are 103 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Today is 22 June 2021. There are 102 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Coach Moser no longer listed as a coach on the roster page if anyone needed further confirmation :-(
                    Hope we can find a good replacement

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                      Coach Moser no longer listed as a coach on the roster page if anyone needed further confirmation :-(
                      I wonder if they would consider elevating Lange. Not that i have any idea if he would be a good choice.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• BTW, someone mentioned that perhaps we could get Randy Hernandez from the defunct RMU program. The rumor is he is going to Canisius.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                          Coach Moser no longer listed as a coach on the roster page if anyone needed further confirmation :-(
                          Honest question…….if you are an outsider looking in, what are the pro’s/con’s of applying for an open assistant position with RPI hockey?

The pro’s for me are limited because of the proof of zero admin support during pandemic……and without that admin support very tough to get a high quality applicant. Just my opinion, hope I’m wrong.

Comment

Honest question…….if you are an outsider looking in, what are the pro’s/con’s of applying for an open assistant position with RPI hockey?

The pro’s for me are limited because of the proof of zero admin support during pandemic……and without that admin support very tough to get a high quality applicant. Just my opinion, hope I’m wrong.
                            Well every person who works will always at least consider a promotion in their field. Head coaches/assistant coaches in junior hockey who would like to jump to NCAA D1 would consider it for sure, regardless of admin support. As far as other assistants in D1, I'm not sure how assistants at lesser programs now view RPI. For junior coaches and D3 coaches though, there are only about 60 schools, so you have a very limited number of opportunities to make that jump. Even with the season cancellation, I would think RPI is a more desirable destination than all of Atlantic Hockey, the majority of the CCHA, and some other miscellaneous schools because of the nice, old barn, the history, the facilities, and a head coach who has the program on the rise. Those would be attractive to any coach

Comment

• Today is 23 June 2021. There are 101 days until RPI's next game.

\
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

I wonder if they would consider elevating Lange. Not that i have any idea if he would be a good choice.
                                I don't think Lange is ready for an assistant position yet. His only experience is as Dir. of Hockey Ops at RPI. No coaching experience anywhere.
                                Personally, I'm hoping for a younger candidate. If they are currently in the NCAA, I hope they have a good recruiting and player development track record. If they are not, I hope they have been part of a winning program in juniors and also shown good player development there.
                                I wish Mike Lysyj was ready, but he is not there yet. Loved what he did here as Volunteer Assistant. He was an assistant in the WHL for 2 years after RPI, and this season, he'll be a head coach in the NAHL. He's someone to keep in mind if we have another opening in a few years

Comment

Working...
                                X