Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Today is 20 June 2021. There are 104 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 2 October 2021 for the start of next season.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Today is 19 June 2021. There are 105 days (15 weeks) until RPI's next game.

Leave a comment:

• tony/troy
    replied
    Originally posted by NAFTA123 View Post

Potential for a Robert Morris 2.0 ??

I'm somewhat joking, but if RMU administration can pull the plug with no warning, no telling what SAJ has up her sleeve. And don't think it can't happen, because RMU had absolutely no idea what was coming down. Again, until I see a puck drop at the Fieldhouse, I'm going to a bit on the cautious side.
    You may not have to worry about being at or seeing anything either at the Fieldhouse or anywhere else on their property for that matter.

As of their last protocol update dated June 7, all "outside contaminates" (like us) are still barred from the property. The only exception appears for high school kids on college visits.

Those allowed to enter (students, faculty, staff, independent contractors, etc., etc.) not only need to be fully vaccinated (not unreasonable) but also have to still wear masks indoors AND be tested on a very regular basis or show a recent negative test. All antidotal information makes it appear that the tests are administered by rank and file institutional staff whose entire medical expertise was what they obtained watching a video lasting a few minutes.

Even if they grace us with allowing our attendance, I would find having to comply with those requirements totally unacceptable and would spend well over $400 (including parking and football tickets) elsewhere or leave it in the bank. Those conditions may be tolerable for kids working toward a degree that starts them at around $70,000 a year (Money Magazine based on 2018 data) or those whose livelihood depends on compliance. Not a chance for those only seeking a night out at a sports entertainment venue.

With the totally understandable exception of medical facilities, there are no more masks being worn by me and just about everyone else I know and run in to when out and about. The self appointed saviors of the masses will not be changing that. While I am fully vaccinated, I have never been tested nor ever had any reason to be. That is also not about to change because the saviors think it's a good idea for Debbie from Development, Gabby from Grants or Peggy from Procurement to shove a stick up peoples noses or in their mouths. Any of these "highly trained and skilled medical people" screws up once and it is on you, you will be the one finding yourself being hounded day and night by people from the state isolation and quarantine group. No thanks.

All of us PAYING CUSTOMERS (not subjects or serfs) should make it crystal clear before sending the regime a penny what is acceptable behavior from them toward us which is not to be exceeded or abused by inherently very abusive people obsessed and drunk with power and control. Acceptable behavior should be limited to asking to see your Excelsior Pass (for New York residents) that you can download after being fully vaccinated. Also acceptable, if they invest in the technology, is scanning the bar code on the pass which verifies it's authenticity and, of course, asking to see another form of ID which matches the pass. Doing it every single solitary game is also acceptable. Who in their right mind would get upset at anyone who takes extra steps to keep people away from you that should possibly not be around you? This should be more than enough to insure being left alone in order to enjoy a night out. If the powers to be won't fork that over, then just don't send them any money and don't go there. Instead, do something else like an independent league ballpark that I can walk to from my home. They are not only not bothering anyone, they are not even asking to see the dammed pass and that is not next October. It is RIGHT NOW.

Leave a comment:

• rpi82
    replied

I'm somewhat joking, but if RMU administration can pull the plug with no warning, no telling what SAJ has up her sleeve. And don't think it can't happen, because RMU had absolutely no idea what was coming down. Again, until I see a puck drop at the Fieldhouse, I'm going to a bit on the cautious side.
    Most university presidents are not sports centric and that certainly includes Shirley. However, she does know that hockey is a key part of our history and a path to alumni support, which is why they used to have Seth attend some key fund-raising events. RMU had no history in hockey and averaged about 50% attendance in their 1,500 seat rink. It was an easy cut for them to make and after a few days where people paid attention, RMU's program will follow in the history of Fairfield, Kent State, Illinois-Chicago and others that have dropped D1 hockey over the decades with few even remembering them. That would not be the case at RPI.

As for Coach Smith's contract, I doubt Shirley even knows it's due. That's the AD's job and I expect it to be addressed before the season starts. IIRC Seth got a 5 year deal and it was a mistake. I agree with Ralph and sezenack that a shorter term deal such as 3 years makes sense. Furthermore, they can tell him that a winning season in either of the next two years will trigger a roll-over for another 3 years from that point in time. I will be very surprised if we don't hear by the opening of practice that he's signed an extension.
    Last edited by rpi82; 06-19-2021, 12:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    I missed this on Monday: https://***********/ecachockey/statu...74254108860423
    #MotivationalMonday featuring @RPI_HockeyCoach "The quote every day a champion reminds me of the champions, and championships that have been won wearing the cherry and white of @RPI_Hockey"

Leave a comment:

• sezenack
    replied
    Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

A lot of us thought that they gave SA too much of an extension. It would not bother me if they had told Coach Smith that he would get an extension (with details) assuming that he has another winning season. That might explain the apparently easy OOC schedule. I, and apparently most others here, were happy with RPI's performance in 19-20, but would we be happy if RPI has a poor season next year and he got a lengthy extension now?

We did lose four players who would be playing a big part next season (Savory, Ashbrook, Ferner, and Babichuk), but there is talent returning and arriving. Goalie and putting the puck in the net are question marks to me, but the latter has been a question mark for several years.
    Ideally his extension would be 3 seasons. Gives him enough time to try and recover from the cancelled season and show the program is still on the right track

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post

I wonder after what some could consider the Appert extension(s) to be reckless spending, maybe they are reluctant to extend? Not sure why, the previous coach is now off their books
    A lot of us thought that they gave SA too much of an extension. It would not bother me if they had told Coach Smith that he would get an extension (with details) assuming that he has another winning season. That might explain the apparently easy OOC schedule. I, and apparently most others here, were happy with RPI's performance in 19-20, but would we be happy if RPI has a poor season next year and he got a lengthy extension now?

We did lose four players who would be playing a big part next season (Savory, Ashbrook, Ferner, and Babichuk), but there is talent returning and arriving. Goalie and putting the puck in the net are question marks to me, but the latter has been a question mark for several years.

Leave a comment:

• ServinisScores
    replied
    Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

We know that this administration has little use for the hockey program. And couple that with the lack of progress that Appert made after he received his contract extension, I guess they just want to wait while the program goes down the tubes. It all makes sense?????
    I wonder after what some could consider the Appert extension(s) to be reckless spending, maybe they are reluctant to extend? Not sure why, the previous coach is now off their books

Leave a comment:

• NAFTA123
    replied
    Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

We know that this administration has little use for the hockey program. And couple that with the lack of progress that Appert made after he received his contract extension, I guess they just want to wait while the program goes down the tubes. It all makes sense?????

Leave a comment:

• engineerhockeyfan
    replied
    Originally posted by sezenack View Post

How do they expect him to recruit if he has a lame duck contract? Pretty ridiculous especially when everyone seems to be happy with the progress of the program and would like to see DS stay on as coach. He should get a few more years to weather the set back the administration decided to hand him

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Today is 18 June 2021. There are 106 days until RPI's next game.

Leave a comment:

• sezenack
    replied

Unless DS gets an extension prior, my opinion is going to be a tough sell to get a quality assistant to commit for what might be a 1year stint. Would be a great time to announce an extension for DS and calm the waters a wee bit.

Of course an extension announcement would require administration to step up and show support for the hockey program……
    How do they expect him to recruit if he has a lame duck contract? Pretty ridiculous especially when everyone seems to be happy with the progress of the program and would like to see DS stay on as coach. He should get a few more years to weather the set back the administration decided to hand him

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Slappaahs
    replied
    Any rumors about who our new assistant coach will be?
    Nothing that I've heard. Robert Morris A/C's are looking for work. Mike Corbett has a lot of experience....but who knows.

https://rmucolonials.com/sports/mens...e-corbett/1297

Leave a comment:

• NAFTA123
    replied
    Unless DS gets an extension prior, my opinion is going to be a tough sell to get a quality assistant to commit for what might be a 1year stint. Would be a great time to announce an extension for DS and calm the waters a wee bit.

Of course an extension announcement would require administration to step up and show support for the hockey program……

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X