Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Offseason 2021: Regression to the mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiscTJK
    replied
    Army Series moved to Thursday/Friday due to football game Saturday evening.

Leave a comment:

• digitalbooya
    replied
    Initial power play groups according to Milewski:

Achan-Caufield-Stange-DSP-Ceulemans

Bantle-Baker-R Donovan-Malmquist-Ess/Kehrer

Leave a comment:

• WiscTJK
    replied
    Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    Just looked at the roster…who are these guys?

I used to pay more attention I guess.

i’ll go out on a limb and predict 14 wins total and 4th or 5th in the conference
    Yep, it's a new group this year and scoring will be at a premium I'm afraid. And they are going to need to gel quickly.....I am guessing you are pretty close on that prediction.

Leave a comment:

• solovsfett
    replied
    Just looked at the roster…who are these guys?

I used to pay more attention I guess.

i’ll go out on a limb and predict 14 wins total and 4th or 5th in the conference

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Will the Goalies get better coaching, or will TG roll the bus over them like usual?
    TG was quite merciful with the bus last year. I don't know that the coaching was any better, but they did play better, probably a combo of better D zone play and a little more talent. I think Rowe can handle a bigger workload. Moe had 2 years in the USHL, played sparingly last year with bad numbers but had decent numbers as a Fr, so he could be a factor. He's got a lot of experience.

Leave a comment:

• WiscTJK
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    It really hit me when I saw the list of newcomers how different this team will be from last year. Laatsch, Ceulemans, Martin, Urdahl, Johnson, Morrison, Bantle, Malmquist, Brown, Moe.

D: Fr: Laatsch, Ceulemans, Martin; So: Kehrer, LaMaster, Jr: Donovan Vorlicky Sr: Peltonen, Inamoto, Ess
    Getting Inamoto and Ess back really makes this group look way stronger than it did at the end of last season when it was projected they would be gone. Peltonen and Kehrer were both breakout players last year. Those 4 will get regular icetime. Ceulemans is going to play regularly, so he's the 5th guy. Vorlicky played regularly but I think he's the guy to is the most likely to get bumped by Laatsch or Martin. LaMaster and Donovan played only sparingly last year, but maybe they can jump get ahead of the other Fr? If they go with Vorlicky, that gives the 5 guys with a lot of experience (but that doesn't necessarily translate to being a positive on the ice) and a first round draft pick as the top 6. 5 returners from a B16 championship team and an ncaa tourney team. I can live with that.
    Here is the roster: https://uwbadgers.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster

I agree, looking at the roster the list of new forwards is many (when including transfers). I think this team will struggle to score, especially early as they mesh as a team. I think you are right that the D will be solid and some pretty good Defensemen are going to be sitting with the numbers due to Inamoto and Ess coming back and that should help raise the level of D and keep the games low scoring, assuming they are more defensive minded as TG said they would be. I will wait and see on that. Will the Goalies get better coaching, or will TG roll the bus over them like usual?

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    It really hit me when I saw the list of newcomers how different this team will be from last year. Laatsch, Ceulemans, Martin, Urdahl, Johnson, Morrison, Bantle, Malmquist, Brown, Moe.

D: Fr: Laatsch, Ceulemans, Martin; So: Kehrer, LaMaster, Jr: Donovan Vorlicky Sr: Peltonen, Inamoto, Ess
    Getting Inamoto and Ess back really makes this group look way stronger than it did at the end of last season when it was projected they would be gone. Peltonen and Kehrer were both breakout players last year. Those 4 will get regular icetime. Ceulemans is going to play regularly, so he's the 5th guy. Vorlicky played regularly but I think he's the guy to is the most likely to get bumped by Laatsch or Martin. LaMaster and Donovan played only sparingly last year, but maybe they can jump get ahead of the other Fr? If they go with Vorlicky, that gives the 5 guys with a lot of experience (but that doesn't necessarily translate to being a positive on the ice) and a first round draft pick as the top 6. 5 returners from a B16 championship team and an ncaa tourney team. I can live with that.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    I think it's fair to say your much more optimistic than me. But I tend to be the debbie downer..... Until they show me they can be a defensive minded team, I will put my money on they play how we have seen under this coaching staff previously.
    Yeah, that is totally cool we have different outlooks. Usually I have a more practical outlook on the world similar to you, but in sports I like to be more positive. That being said I am a bit of a tinderbox also with this team. If the D play like crap the first 8 games I'm gonna lose it. I expect Corson to have some bad moments, hopefully the F's and G's can bail him out. I hope he just lets the game come to him and not force anything. I expect him to QB the PP.

I sure hope Lindmark and Gorniak have breakout years. Stick them on the top 2 lines with a combo of MDSP, Ahcan, Stange and Johnson.

Leave a comment:

• WiscTJK
    replied

I have the same concerns, but I think the D will continue the trend to play D in a responsible manner.

I think there's plenty of talent to score the puck. Guys like Stange and MDSP are going to have big years.
    I think it's fair to say your much more optimistic than me. But I tend to be the debbie downer..... Until they show me they can be a defensive minded team, I will put my money on they play how we have seen under this coaching staff previously.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    I worry about the defense and if they really learned as a coaching staff to stress defense. I don't expect them to win many shoot outs with all the scoring they lost.....
    I have the same concerns, but I think the D will continue the trend to play D in a responsible manner.

I think there's plenty of talent to score the puck. Guys like Stange and MDSP are going to have big years.

Leave a comment:

• WiscTJK
    replied
    Yeah, the old days of 8 gimme games against the wcha bottom feeders is long gone, the B16 schedule is always brutal. Channeling my inner Mike Eaves, lets go with.....If it doesn't kill them it will make them stronger.

I like the team and it will be fascinating to see how the goaltending shakes out with that ex-rodent dude wearing much better colors this year.
    I worry about the defense and if they really learned as a coaching staff to stress defense. I don't expect them to win many shoot outs with all the scoring they lost.....

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Yeah, the old days of 8 gimme games against the wcha bottom feeders is long gone, the B16 schedule is always brutal. Channeling my inner Mike Eaves, lets go with.....If it doesn't kill them it will make them stronger.

I like the team and it will be fascinating to see how the goaltending shakes out with that ex-rodent dude wearing much better colors this year.

Leave a comment:

• WiscTJK
    replied
    Full schedule released today and it's a doozy with some real challenges:

https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/sta...34696890245120

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...3eb6092b3.html

https://uwbadgers.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/schedule

Leave a comment:

• WiscTJK
    replied
    Opening conference series at Michigan, Goofers at home. That's a tough start and could be 0-4 in those. Split would be huge. It will let us all know where they are at after losing lots of offense from last year.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...da9078a4c.html

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
    In an attempt to get back on topic: sounds like the big ten hockey schedule will be coming out on Monday at 10am CT!
    Awesome. I'm hopeful of some men's/women's double header opportunities.

Kwik Trip picked up the sponsorship of the event at Milwaukee, really neat to see a regional business headlining the event. As a company they are really killing it. Going astray a bit I'm amazed that small towns have have one KT on each end of town and they both can financially survive. I've never understood business plan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X