Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Offseason 2021: Regression to the mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiscTJK
    replied
    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Ugh.

I remember when they were one of ours. They’ve both since been captains of their respective teams and are now choosing Not Us again.

https://twitter.com/gcruikshank/stat...307120643?s=21

https://twitter.com/kolischefski_21/...753077248?s=21

Yep, Cruikshank was a huge mistake / miss and he will get to dog Granato, now much closer to home, next year.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Remember Grant Cruikshank? He's a Gopher now, and we're sending him out to make Moe pay for being a traitor.
    Is Moe a good get for UW? I was thinking Rowe was the guy for the next 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Ugh.

I remember when they were one of ours. They’ve both since been captains of their respective teams and are now choosing Not Us again.

I remember TG essentially forced Cruikshank away, and we all were aghast. That was a lame move. I don't recall the circumstances of Kolischefski not getting to UW.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied
    Ugh.

Leave a comment:

• druzy192
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I wonder with BA hanging it up that TG might actually be on a shorter leash with the new AD if they regress to the mean.
    I'd hope so. Alvarez ego is the only reason Granato still has a job. Maybe McIntosh is waiting in the wings and will fire Granato as his first big move. If he gets it. Probably not but one can hope.

If you are starting from scratch with a horrible hockey program with no tradition or facilities, then yes it may take 5, 6 7 or 10 years to "rebuild" from the ground up.

But hello. UW is not Bowling Green or Robert Morris. Or the UW that Badger Bob took over. Everything is in place. So ya Granato is a flop and its a waste of time to keep this guy around.

Leave a comment:

• Bonin21
    replied
    Remember Grant Cruikshank? He's a Gopher now, and we're sending him out to make Moe pay for being a traitor.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
    I think it will be a .500 or slightly better season based on the players we have coming back. They should be competitive or at least that's my hope. Just can't see them pushing for a title though.
    My hope is that TG actually embraces the different kind of hockey for next year that he mapped out. It does seem like a different tune from his original plan of "we'll just land all ?lite players and when they leave early, we'll get more."

I wonder with BA hanging it up that TG might actually be on a shorter leash with the new AD if they regress to the mean.

Leave a comment:

• gwhinwi
    replied
    I think it will be a .500 or slightly better season based on the players we have coming back. They should be competitive or at least that's my hope. Just can't see them pushing for a title though.

Leave a comment:

• digitalbooya
    replied
    Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

Grow up.

remember the good old days? 30 years of mostly mediocrity with 3 great season mixed in? Awesome times man. More of the same please.

Let’s get real here. Without CC’s 30 goals and Holloway this team will struggle to get to .500
    Says the whiny old man? Lol.

Looking forward to your endless *****ing this season.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    To get 2 years out of CC and Holloway is actually a great outcome. It does show that players can make great developmental strides playing college hockey. It also shows to me anyway that either you have "it" or you don't. TG needs to make sure he has a few "it" guys on the roster every year.

Leave a comment:

• solovsfett
    replied
    Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post

We can't all be whiny old men blabbering about the good ol' days.
    Grow up.

remember the good old days? 30 years of mostly mediocrity with 3 great season mixed in? Awesome times man. More of the same please.

Let’s get real here. Without CC’s 30 goals and Holloway this team will struggle to get to .500

Leave a comment:

• digitalbooya
    replied
    My guess:

.550 win%
    3.00 gf/gp
    2.65 ga/g

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied
    Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
    Here's a question for you guys: Do you expect this upcoming year to be better than two years ago (season w/ Turcotte)? Why or why not?
    Well it’d better be. That was the worst season under Granato (in terms of Win % and GA per game).

It’s almost a given that (barring a lot of players truly stepping up) next year will see the lowest GPG under Granato. Not enough returning scoring and no reason to expect once-in-a-generation scoring from the incoming freshmen.

So it really depends on how well the defense can shut down opponents. Last year was the best year under Granato on that front, but that’s not saying much and we still saw goalies hung out to dry in pretty bad ways… just not as regularly.

So all that in mind, what’s my verdict?

Im guessing we’re about the same as two years ago.

2019-20 was .417 win%, 3.21 GF/G, 3.64 GA/G.

My guess will be .405 to .430 win%, 2.6 GF/G, 2.9 GA/G

Leave a comment:

• digitalbooya
    replied
    Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

Yeah, and that isn't me. I'm just skeptical if the one year improvement (with 2 of the best players in many years, one of which is the best in college hockey) can be continued.

But fair to say, that the good ol' day guys would tell to take off your rose color glasses and note that Granato's 5 year tenure as coach (with the 10 games over .500 this year included) are the worst statistically since Badger Bob took over in 1966-67. And they would be correct.
    I wasn't referring to you.

Bob Johnson, aka the greatest coach in badger history, made the ncaa tournament once in his first five seasons and three times in his first nine seasons. He built the program. Granato is rebuilding the program after a catastrophic end to the Eaves era.

As for the returning players, I expect this team to give up sub 3 goals a game. Will the offense be there? Definitely not borderline 4 goals per game like this year. But around 3? I could see that. Like I said before, there's never been a Granato team that scores less than 3 average per game. The issue was always the d-zone coverage and breakout.

Here's a question for you guys: Do you expect this upcoming year to be better than two years ago (season w/ Turcotte)? Why or why not?

Leave a comment:

• gwhinwi
    replied
    I tend to think we'll fall back to the middle of the pack this next season. I would be happy if it didn't happen, but I just don't see a good year next season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X