No announcement yet.

CCHA v2.0 - BGSU FSU LSSU MTU NMU w/ BSU MSU & Special Guests - The Tommies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone who knows something please straighten me out. The WCHA fails because of A. high travel costs and B, low quality play from the bottom teams who dragged everyone else down. This made it so that teams like Bg, who deserved to be in the tournament, didn't get in.
    so most of the teams bailed.
    Now we have all these new teams starting up and wanting a league and are we really going back into high travel costs, lousy buildings and low quality play all over again?
    if so, why, and if not, then what happens next?
    I'm not thrilled about going to Sioux Falls or anywhere else in South Dakota to tell the truth. St Louis is a long ways too, and so am I missing something?
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Can someone who knows something please straighten me out. The WCHA fails because of A. high travel costs and B, low quality play from the bottom teams who dragged everyone else down. This made it so that teams like Bg, who deserved to be in the tournament, didn't get in.
      Now we have all these new teams starting up and wanting a league and are we really going back into high travel costs, lousy buildings and low quality play all over again?
      I'm not thrilled about going to Sioux Falls or anywhere else in South Dakota to tell the truth. St Louis is a long ways too, and so am I missing something?
      Is this in response to news I’ve not seen or are you just yelling at a cloud?
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Can someone who knows something please straighten me out. The WCHA fails because of A. high travel costs and B, low quality play from the bottom teams who dragged everyone else down. This made it so that teams like Bg, who deserved to be in the tournament, didn't get in.
        I don't know anything. But the official line was that the breakaway programs wanted to be in a conference of "like minded schools." I'd read that to mean the UA[F|A|H] schools couldn't (or wouldn't) make the investment necessary to make the vision necessary. I have noticed a huge improvement in the quality of their videos this year (Flohockey issues aside). The fact that the Alaska/Alabama were geographic outliers let to a lot of speculation about travel.

As I see it, the schools that now make up the CCHA are hockey schools. The hockey program is the crown jewel of the school's athletics. Ferris has recent national championships in football and basketball, but I think they're willing to invest in ice hockey. I didn't get that impression from the UA* schools. I've heard rumors that Lucia has been in contact with Augustana. But I don't know if their athletic program is going to pivot to being a "hockey" school.

As for me, I like the current line up- though I'd like to see a little more competition up top (and this is from a Mankato alum). We should put 2 teams in the tournament each year, with a decent shot at 3. So I'm hoping things stay the way they are for a while, regardless of what happens with Augustana, Lindenwood, and whoever decides to start playing hockey in the midwest.

The only thing that I think could upset things is if Miami decides they want out of the NCHC.

Comment

• Stop listening to internet rumors about Lindenwood & Augustana being destined for the CCHA. Most of us in this thread understand exactly what you are talking about, and logically, so do the people who formed the conference.

Edit - and of course Lucia will talk to both Auggie & Lindenwood. That's his job. "Talking to" can be as simple as said school asking what the requirements are for joining (i.e. a 2/3 vote) & him responding. How else can he judge their commitment? Doesn't mean they will be joining.
          Last edited by moose97; 04-16-2022, 11:23 AM.
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass
          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

• As a BG fan, I would be thrilled to see Miami join the fold in the CCHA.

I'm genuinely curious what fans of other CCHA schools would think of that idea - assuming there would be another school joining with them so the league would end up at an even 10 teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbenecke View Post
              As a BG fan, I would be thrilled to see Miami join the fold in the CCHA.

I'm genuinely curious what fans of other CCHA schools would think of that idea - assuming there would be another school joining with them so the league would end up at an even 10 teams.
              They are, I dunno, slightly better than Augustana for any schools not named BG or Ferris Wheel. The advantages being a full DI athletic department and history.
              Last edited by moose97; 04-19-2022, 07:50 PM.

AHA:
              ECAC:

Comment

Which are the lousy buildings? Augustana will have a good barn and Lindenwood will host an NCAA Regional in theirs. St. Thomas is also wanting to building a new one of their own.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The travel was secondary. 3 programs who couldn't commit to playing for more than one season at a time were a problem.

Comment

• There has been a lot of talk about expansion/realignment and folks across the college hockey spectrum have volunteered various teams to join the CCHA. I've posted this analysis in various threads and forums, thought I'd post it in it's entirety for reference purposes.

Mileage Between Current CCHA League Members and Rumored League Members
                    School Lindenwood Augustana Miami
                    BSU 755 360 908
                    BGSU 490 825 172
                    FSU 515 804 348
                    LSSU 750 772 569
                    MNSU 500 160 714
                    MTU 700 600 701
                    NMU 675 625 680
                    UST 510 240 688
                    Driving Time Between Current CCHA League Members and Rumored League Members
                    School Lindenwood Augustana Miami
                    BSU 11.75 5.75 14.25
                    BGSU 7.25 12.50 2.75
                    FSU 7.75 12.50 6.00
                    LSSU 11.00 12.25 8.50
                    MNSU 8.00 2.50 11.00
                    MTU 10.75 9.75 11.25
                    NMU 10.50 10.25 10.50
                    UST 8.00 4.00 10.50
                    In the current incarnation of the CCHA, the teams with the shortest and longest average travel are:
                    Team Time Miles
                    Shortest Avg Travel NMU 5:43 344
                    Longest Avg Travel BGSU 8:39 571
                    Not surprised that either BG or Bemidji would face the longest travel but I was surprised Northern is closest to the geographic center.

Another fun fact: travel between Bemidji and Oxford is about the same as Cornell to Georgia Tech. I didn't realize how much of a geographic outlier Miami State would be until I plugged in the numbers. Tech, Northern, and the Lakers regularly made this trip so I wouldn't think it would be too much of an issue but for the MN schools it's a haul.

Comment

• looking like hastings is not going anywhere; that's absolutely great news for the CCHA!!

Comment

• https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/statu...76991892201475

"Expansion plans for @CCHAHockey will be announced tomorrow. Augustana and Lindenwood are the favorites, I’d presume."

Comment

• Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                          https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/statu...76991892201475

"Expansion plans for @CCHAHockey will be announced tomorrow. Augustana and Lindenwood are the favorites, I’d presume."
                          It's obviously going to be Toledo. https://mobile.twitter.com/toledospo...NMxLUJqZFRzSkQ

[/sarcasm]

Comment

• all this seems like WCHA 3.0... exchanging the three UA* for AU, LU, and UST...

not sure i like any of this... but hey.

Comment

• Buccigross & Everything College Hockey is saying (and using what looks like an official graphic) it's just Auggie. Yuck. https://twitter.com/TeamECH/status/1...KzSNVDVNg&s=19
                              Last edited by moose97; 05-16-2022, 04:01 PM.

AHA:
                              ECAC:

Comment

• Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                                all this seems like WCHA 3.0... exchanging the three UA* for AU, LU, and UST...

not sure i like any of this... but hey.
                                UST was a good addition. Major market within the footprint of the conference and a school that is known for spending money on sports. LU and AU are big unknowns outside of the CCHA's footprint. Why not let them be independent for 4 years, with a scheduling agreement and see how they would fit.

Someone had to place some money somewhere or there are additional movements happening in the next few years that the CCHA is trying to get in front of.

Comment

Working...
                                X