Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

I thought MSU/BSU was turning that?

St. Thomas will, at worst, give you a team you will love to hate.
    Not really. Bsu is a good team, but they aren't really that team we have irrational hatred for. It's more of a minnesota nice, respectful matchup.
    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Besides Tech/Northern, are there any other 'great rivalries' in the nCCHA?

Comment

• Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

I was at the game. I didn't think there was any untoward behavior by the crowd until the OSU guy speared Seth Fyten in the closing minute and set off the ensuing melee.
        I'd still like to know how that was missed during the 20 minute video review. Granted, it wasn't much, but it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Then again, the referee immediately calls the delay of game, and Fyten is skating back to the bench before the OSU player has a chance to do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post

Not really. Bsu is a good team, but they aren't really that team we have irrational hatred for. It's more of a minnesota nice, respectful matchup.
          True. I don't know how anyone can hate Brrmidiji State.

I think St Thomas will be your best bet. It will take time, but if St Thomas can get a full D1 roster, it will get good.

As for nCCHA rivals, I don't think anyone can come close to Tech/NMU. The other fan bases don't really overlap and interact. I have hopes for St Thomas/MSU rivarly. They have similar dynamics to Tech/NMU.

Comment

Maybe St Thomas will turn into that sooner than later, but its not there now. They are very easy to dislike (just ask 95% of Minnesota).
            As a Michigander I'm just curious why this is the case?

Comment

Maybe St Thomas will turn into that sooner than later, but its not there now. They are very easy to dislike (just ask 95% of Minnesota).
              Originally posted by HuskyDut View Post
              As a Michigander I'm just curious why this is the case?
              A: Private School Cake Eaters are not liked in MN.
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

A: Private School Cake Eaters are not liked in MN.
                I mean, that's part of it. But that's too blanket of a statement. There is a very strong D3 conference (MIAC) of private schools in Minnesota, many of which have much higher tuitions than St. Thomas. The Tommies have a special reputation in which they are looked at as extremely privledged, rich, arrogant and willing to do anything to come out ahead. In my view, much of that comes from the fact that they have St. Thomas Academy (the high school) attached to it and people (especially in the high school hockey community) do not like the private schools. For some background for the out of state peeps, STA is an all-boys school that is extremely good in many/most sports. That in and of itself isn't that big of a deal. What became a big deal in the state was when they used the all boys aspect of things to stay in Class A (the smaller schools, mainly schools from small towns throughout the state). Any other school (read: public schools) have an unfair advantage as they have to count boys and girls so schools that have the same amount of boys to choose from for sports are actually twice as large. So it is seen as an unfair advantage. St Thomas could have opted to jump up to Class AA and competed against the larger schools, but chose not to and instead racked up many state titles before they finally jumped up a class. You will hear a lot "Daddy's Money" chants at them at hockey games. In response, their student section will respond things like "waste of taxes" further cementing the stereotype of arrogant a-holes.

The college is looked at in much the same way. They have a different philosophy on sports that the rest of the MIAC and put sports on a higher level. The rest of the teams finally voted to kick St Thomas out of the conference (which I thought was ridiculous). This was legitimately a a group of "like minded" schools kicking out the one that was operating in a different fashion from the rest. They were seen as a school beating up on the little guys. That is what led them to go to D1 in the first place. That perception has always bled over into the real world too. I'm not saying it's fair or true, just the perception.

In reality, St Thomas is a good university and students do very, very well when they graduate. Their alumni base is pretty damn good and you will get a job when you graduate. I said right away when they were looking for a coach, I truly think St Thomas is one of the best jobs in the country (I know people may think that's hyperbolic, but hear me out). They are going to spend money on facilities. They will treat their athletes as well as a Big Ten school. They are located in the Twin Cities and will be able to recruit not only because of location but because of the school's reputation. I think they will be a very, very good addition to the conference and they will be the most hated school in the conference shortly (because they are everywhere else) and they will be good.
                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Minnesota State looked really good sweeping UMD this weekend (Thurs-Sat). The ice was tilted most of the night, and they outskated UMD. The NCHC frustration showed at the end of game 2, with UMD taking a couple bad penalties.

Great Job Mavs. Showing why your #1.
                  Go Huskies!

Comment

• Originally posted by Redridge View Post
                    Minnesota State looked really good sweeping UMD this weekend (Thurs-Sat). The ice was tilted most of the night, and they outskated UMD. The NCHC frustration showed at the end of game 2, with UMD taking a couple bad penalties.

Great Job Mavs. Showing why your #1.
                    And we did it without Nathan Smith and Reggie Lutz (on Saturday).

If we were Mel Pierson and Michigan, we would have cancelled the game.

Comment

• So if Dryden McKay goes to the US Olympic roster, do the Mavericks already have enough of a lead to secure the MacNaughton? I think that would be tougher to account for than losing Nathan Smith for the same length of time.

Comment

• Good question. Also good questions, what if: Michigan loses 3 players to the olympic team, and ends up like 12th in the pairwise, MSU loses 2 and loses to Tech on the final weekend, The gophers drop out of the top 14 with the loss of the goalie and are in a tie with AIC for number 16.
                        Could be a lot of turmoil the last month or so.

also our teams can take a lesson from Northeastern. Lose to a mid ranked team, ( ASU is number 25 or so), drop like 7 places from which it will be really tough to recover. So everyone who is playing NMU, you better look out.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Best guess is that the skunks only lose Hughes and Beniers. The Canadians are much less likely to go, they're going to roll with the older guys who would have been on the Spengler Cup squad.

I'm led to believe that the two current college goalies under consideration are McKay and Drew DeRidder from Michigan State (due to his NTDP connection). I'd give the nod to McKay if that's the matchup, and considering the other mentioned goalies are the eminently average Strauss Mann and journeyman Brandon Maxwell...I think he'd get a good shot at the #1 spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                            Best guess is that the skunks only lose Hughes and Beniers. The Canadians are much less likely to go, they're going to roll with the older guys who would have been on the Spengler Cup squad.
                            Um, Powers is already confirmed to have accepted the invite...

https://theathletic.com/news/owen-po.../dNZEmWE0Buvw/
                            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                            ECAC:
                            HEA: UMass
                            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post

Um, Powers is already confirmed to have accepted the invite...

https://theathletic.com/news/owen-po.../dNZEmWE0Buvw/
                              He's not confirmed by Hockey Canada yet, but yes it looks more likely he will. Scott Salmond is changing his tack on who to bring in. For instance, I don't see Chay Genoway listed when he was potentially a captain.

Comment

• Was there any explanation what happened to the video review system at Bemidji last night?

Comment

Working...
                                X