CCHA v2.0 - BGSU FSU LSSU MTU NMU w/ BSU MSU & Special Guests - The Tommies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    You all might not have seen the Alaska at Clarkson game last friday but I thought the refereeing was horrible. Clarkson scored 4 straight ppg on 4 straight penalties , all in the first period and walked to the win. Now the refs did call some on clarkson late in the game but really that was lousy if you are an alaska fan. The same in the UND vs QPac games. the refs called a lot on the hawks early and then later on called some on the bobcats. The stats don't look bad but I thought both games the visitors got the short end.
    I don't think it's on purpose but I do think they are looking harder at the western teams for violations.I didn't check the HE games but i'd be willing to bet it was similar.
    Colgate got called for 2x the penalties vs ASU on Saturday nite, about even Friday nite, at Colgate, for whatever it's worth.

Comment

• Originally posted by lakersparty View Post

Why would Lake State drop hockey? The program is healthy, they are competitive again, and they no longer have to worry about travel to Alaska or Alabama. It's probably the best time for Lake State hockey in decades.
      LSSU is, I believe, the smallest public D1 hockey school. With less than 2000 total students & zero grad students, any D1 effort is tenuous at best. Add in the fact it's in a town of less than 15,000 people & there's scant few resources to sustain. I'm always running under the assumption they could drop hockey at any moment. And, yes. They were competitive last year. They also lost a ton of talent. Home ice for the playoffs is by no means a guarantee.
      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
      ECAC:
      HEA: UMass
      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post

LSSU is, I believe, the smallest public D1 hockey school. With less than 2000 total students & zero grad students, any D1 effort is tenuous at best. Add in the fact it's in a town of less than 15,000 people & there's scant few resources to sustain. I'm always running under the assumption they could drop hockey at any moment. And, yes. They were competitive last year. They also lost a ton of talent. Home ice for the playoffs is by no means a guarantee.
        The town borders another city of 70,000 people. I don’t know why that’s so hard for people to realize. That’s more than enough population to have a significant fan following in college hockey.

If you instead said that the school has some risk due to its low enrollment, I would agree. That is an issue. They really need to improve that, but the school dropping hockey is such a ridiculous take. It would never be considered as long as Lake State is a viable public university.

I was actually more worried recently about COVID impacting schools like Bowling Green, who rely on football for their athletics budget, than I ever have been about Lake State continuing with hockey. There would be absolutely no push from the school’s admin to ever drop the sport.

Comment

The town borders another city of 70,000 people. I don’t know why that’s so hard for people to realize. That’s more than enough population to have a significant fan following in college hockey.

If you instead said that the school has some risk due to its low enrollment, I would agree. That is an issue. They really need to improve that, but the school dropping hockey is such a ridiculous take. It would never be considered as long as Lake State is a viable public university.

I was actually more worried recently about COVID impacting schools like Bowling Green, who rely on football for their athletics budget, than I ever have been about Lake State continuing with hockey. There would be absolutely no push from the school’s admin to ever drop the sport.
          I got married in the Soo. Had my bachelors party in Soo, Ontario. My mother-in-law is from Soo, ON. My other mother-in-law is from Fibre, MI. My father-in-law's parents are huge Laker boosters & travel to the Frozen Four every year.. My wife went to Rudyard, HS. Well aware of THAT Soo, lol. Also, 99% of Canadian Soo hockey fans don't give a **** about the Lakers as long as the Greyhounds still exist.

Yes, BG is on my list, as is Ferris Wheel, but LSSU ain't on the most solid ground either. Glad enrolment has stabilized the last few years, but it's still shockingly low.
          Last edited by moose97; 10-26-2021, 10:22 AM.

AHA:
          ECAC:

Comment

Uh, the football program at BG is monstrous drain on the athletics budget. There's far more traction at BG to eliminate football and redistribute those funds in bouncy ball and hockey.

Comment

So by that logic, shouldn't Alabama-Huntsville be a thriving program?

Comment

• Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

So by that logic, shouldn't Alabama-Huntsville be a thriving program?
                You don't understand the definition of the word "logic." No point in continuing this line of discussion with you.

AHA:
                ECAC:

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                  There's far more traction at BG to eliminate football.
                  Why would they cut a program that can go into Minnesota's house and beat them?
                  #MAC-tion
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

You don't understand the definition of the word "logic." No point in continuing this line of discussion with you.
                    And you do?

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      #MAC-tion
                      Minnesota has a football team? Learn something new every day!

AHA:
                      ECAC:

Comment

Yea I wasn't following that one either.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          I really didn't expect anything else. When you use a recycled and tired old name for your new car you have to expect that it's not really new. Which of course it's not. I hate the name, and though I think some things might be better, so far they aren't much better.
                          GM makes their business out of retreading old nameplates.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            #MAC-tion
                            I mean, sometimes good teams have bad days and lose to a worse team, but nobody in Bowling Green expected Minnesota to score less than 60 points. No one.

Comment

• I watched the FSU at Canisius game. Ferris was the better team even though they did get outshot, but the winner of that game was the referee. He did a great job sending FSU to the box. eventually it made a difference.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• I saw a stat today from CHN which I'd like to put out there again. MTU has allowed 1 pp goal in the last 27 games and has killed 61 of the last 62, and 98 of the last 103.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X