Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota State Offseason Thread: Made a Frozen Four, how do they get more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota State Offseason Thread: Made a Frozen Four, how do they get more?

Well, as a few days have passed, it’s time to take a deep breath and say damn. What a year. A huge step for the program as it continues to work its way to one of the premier programs in the country.

Wanted to get this thread rolling as we look forward to the program’s first year as a member of the CCHA, and with a very solid core of players set to return for another run at a Frozen Four and a national title.

a couple of items..

Chris Van Os-Shaw has entered the transfer portal.

Sr. F Walker Duehr signed with the Calgary Flames.

From what I’ve been told, expect Dryden McKay and Nathan Smith back for their senior and junior years, respectively. Additionally, and maybe less of surprise, but Jake Livingstone, despite sparking the interest of multiple NHL teams as a college free agent, will return as well.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

This off season is different in that having seen no games live and a few on tv I don't have a good idea of where the team is at as far as talent. Usually you attend games all year and get a feel for who to look at for next year.
    Can the seniors opt for a "covid" year or how does that work?

It was a great year. It was not the most talent rich Mavs team but it will be a team remembered. I'm looking forward to crappy civic center food agsin
    All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Between the 5th year option, and the big transfer portal, it's hard to say what teams may look like next year. With no Mankato trips this year, I did get to see a lot of the Sioux City Musketeers and recruit Brenden Olson. Good speed, smart kid, great on the PK. In other words, Mav Hockey!
      Congrats to the team, and congrats to Walker Duehr! A great example of a kid who kept working at it, and became a real hockey player. I'm glad the transfer rules have been loosened and kids have more freedom to choose their own path, but I hope they also keep in mind why they chose the school they did, and that -like Walker- they see the value in working hard where they are, and not just go running off their freshman year because they're not on the first PP unit, or first line.

Comment

This is going to be a unique year — while the NCAA has granted everyone an additional year of eligibility, a tight margin sport like hockey has a challenging time providing scholarships to the incoming freshman AND (unexpected) seniors sticking around for an additional year. (see the exodus of seniors from Bowling Green, for example.)

The Mavs return a ton of talent — their top three scorers, Napravanik, Smith, and Borchardt (who also skated as a line in the Frozen Four), their two top offensive defenseman in Akito Hirose and Jake Livingstone, plus two veterans on the blue line in Andy Carroll and Wyatt Aamodt.

Brendan Furry can FLY and really did a nice job for the Mavs down the stretch, and is a guy I expect to break out big time next year.

Ryan Sandelin’s game got better and better late in the year, as did Charlie Morton’s. Shane McMahon has played a lot of minutes up front for the Mavs as well.

Oh, and does anyone remember Lucas Sowder? Hopefully he can come back healthy next year and regain his form he showed his freshman season.

Last but not least, you’ve got the best goaltender in college hockey coming back as well. (I’m looking directly at you, Richter and All America voters who didn’t vote Dryden!)

I’m VERY interested to see what the Mavs do in the portal — Todd Burgess came in from there last year, so they’ve shown they’ll use it for the right fit.
        Last edited by MavHockey14; 04-12-2021, 10:21 AM.
        AF 99

Comment

I should also mention, for no conference game, I’ve heard the following:

ICEBREAKER (in Duluth)
          vs. Providence
          vs. UMD or Michigan

(2) Minnesota (home and home)

I’ve heard rumblings about St. Cloud as well.
          AF 99

Comment

Team will be good. Interesting to see how the rest of the conference does. Appears BG got gutted by transfer portal. BSU lost Driscoll but got back some talent. Hopefully team can't build off this year.
            All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
              Team will be good. Interesting to see how the rest of the conference does. Appears BG got gutted by transfer portal. BSU lost Driscoll but got back some talent. Hopefully team can't build off this year.
              I would anticipate Bemidji being pretty good to really good depending on goaltending next year — they get a ton of production back.
              AF 99

Comment

Per @MaverickHockeyRecruits on Twitter,

UNH senior defenseman Benton Maass, an Elk River native and 6th round pick of the Washington Capitals will reportedly use his 5th year of eligibility and join the Mavericks next season.

As pointed out by Dan Myers, 120 games of Hockey East experience. Seems like a great addition.
                AF 99

Comment

Anyone have an inkling of next year's schedule? or non-conf, opponents? I know, pretty early to ask, but itching to fill in my fall calendar with weekend trips.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Major View Post
                    Anyone have an inkling of next year's schedule? or non-conf, opponents? I know, pretty early to ask, but itching to fill in my fall calendar with weekend trips.
                    No dates yet, but plan on a home and home with Minnesota, and you can book Duluth Oct 15th and 16th. The Mavs will play Providence in the afternoon on the 15th and play either Michigan or Minnesota Duluth on the 16th.
                    AF 99

Comment

I'm always torn on the transfer portal. Always happy to help our team get better but realistically had it existed years ago how many mavericks would have left. We are just lucky that we are the destination now instead of the departure

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                        I'm always torn on the transfer portal. Always happy to help our team get better but realistically had it existed years ago how many mavericks would have left. We are just lucky that we are the destination now instead of the departure
                        I get what you’re saying, but I think it’s a really good thing for players, and most teams are going to see a positive effect. For example, on the 1,000 foot level it looks like it’s decimating Bowling Green, but BG never offered a scholarship to any of the guys that left — they’re all seniors.
                        AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post

I get what you’re saying, but I think it’s a really good thing for players, and most teams are going to see a positive effect. For example, on the 1,000 foot level it looks like it’s decimating Bowling Green, but BG never offered a scholarship to any of the guys that left — they’re all seniors.
                          And if we'd kept them, say goodbye to the incoming freshmen (some of whom have some serious talent). So it's a 1-year vs. 4 year decision. And you could blow up your recruiting for 3-5 years by hanging on to them plus you get a lousy reputation in the junior ranks. The fact we've lost no one who isn't graduating should be the story to focus on. Remember, these guys would normally be going to the AHL/ECHL if a) those leagues were fully operational and b) there wasn't the Covid +1 eligibility windfall.

Don't get me wrong, its sucks and we're going to slip quite a bit, but we'll be back. One year anomaly.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

And if we'd kept them, say goodbye to the incoming freshmen (some of whom have some serious talent). So it's a 1-year vs. 4 year decision. And you could blow up your recruiting for 3-5 years by hanging on to them plus you get a lousy reputation in the junior ranks. The fact we've lost no one who isn't graduating should be the story to focus on. Remember, these guys would normally be going to the AHL/ECHL if a) those leagues were fully operational and b) there wasn't the Covid +1 eligibility windfall.

Don't get me wrong, its sucks and we're going to slip quite a bit, but we'll be back. One year anomaly.
                            Thanks for adding your perspective and detail. The point of not losing anyone who hasn’t graduated is excellent.
                            AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                              I should also mention, for no conference game, I’ve heard the following:

ICEBREAKER (in Duluth)
                              vs. Providence
                              vs. UMD or Michigan

(2) Minnesota (home and home)

I’ve heard rumblings about St. Cloud as well.
                              Here’s the St. Cloud rumblings... Might as well start the season against the squad that ruined your dreams of a title!

https://twitter.com/pbfeldy/status/1...555811841?s=21
                              AF 99

Comment

Working...
                              X