Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota State Offseason Thread: Made a Frozen Four, how do they get more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Double Major View Post
    Is David Backes still playing hockey? One of these years MSU should be honoring him. I suppose that has to wait until the Covid attendance maximum is lifted. Someone? Anyone?
    He's spent most of the season on the taxi squad, says this year is likely his last.

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/04/26...t-seasons-end/

My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
      He currently is with the Anaheim Ducks but playing very little.
      Correct. I believe he is making $5MM this year, and it’s his last year of his contract — so, retirement seems likely once he finishes this year.

Backes was inducted into the inaugural MSU Hockey Hall of Fame class, FWIW.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Mavs to play St. Thomas on Hockey Day Minnesota

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/minnes...up/c-324454196

Comment

I read it would be at Blakeslee. I thought we'd do it inside, like St. Cloud did a couple years ago. I hope it's not bitterly cold!

Comment

I was hoping this would happen. It's a 1 time chance. Much of the money generated goes to youth hockey and an outdoor game will be big. At least it should. I don't care how cold, look for two red ice Eskimo ice houses, a smoker and a simmer pot of coffee thatll be free upgrade to Irish coffee. This is all assuming the University will allow tailgating. My kid played in the Anthony ford one year and it was below zero. We can pull this off
            All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post

I was hoping this would happen. It's a 1 time chance. Much of the money generated goes to youth hockey and an outdoor game will be big. At least it should. I don't care how cold, look for two red ice Eskimo ice houses, a smoker and a simmer pot of coffee thatll be free upgrade to Irish coffee. This is all assuming the University will allow tailgating. My kid played in the Anthony ford one year and it was below zero. We can pull this off
              I am assuming they will allow tailgating. They do for football.

Comment

If they can get 4200 fans on the shores of Lake Bemidji for Hockey Day 2019 when the Beavers played Michigan Tech, at night, in subzero air temps, the show should go on.
                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Dudley: A schedule filled with in-state intrigue for MSU | Local Sports | mankatofreepress.com

Interesting article. Dudley drops a nugget that we may have games prior to the St. Cloud games on Oct 8-9, and that it could be "an opponent that would be just as exciting" as the Huskies. ??? The Gophers are scheduled to play Alaska that weekend, so it's not them. We're already playing UMD, so it's not them. UNO? A big name Hockey East school? Who else would we find "just as exciting" as SCSU?

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                    Dudley: A schedule filled with in-state intrigue for MSU | Local Sports | mankatofreepress.com

Interesting article. Dudley drops a nugget that we may have games prior to the St. Cloud games on Oct 8-9, and that it could be "an opponent that would be just as exciting" as the Huskies. ??? The Gophers are scheduled to play Alaska that weekend, so it's not them. We're already playing UMD, so it's not them. UNO? A big name Hockey East school? Who else would we find "just as exciting" as SCSU?
                    UMass is defending national champion. How about them?

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

UMass is defending national champion. How about them?
                      I'd count that! Playing the defending national champion for a season opener? Yeah, that'd be pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post

I read it would be at Blakeslee. I thought we'd do it inside, like St. Cloud did a couple years ago. I hope it's not bitterly cold!
                        I think there’s a reason St. Thomas is the opponent, and not anyone from the top tier of the league. (Yes, I know UST is in MN, but still.)

Hastings was clear he wasn’t a huge fan of playing outdoors, which I understand, as I assume they don’t want weather/extenuating factors to level the ice against teams they should beat.

Very excited for that weekend, though.
                        AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                          Very excited for that weekend, though.
                          I'm glad you are. There's no way my elderly self is sitting on cold metal bleachers for 3+ hours in the Minnesota winter.

My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

I get Hastings opposition to it. I also think it would have been a great idea to try and put together some type of alumni game at least but I'll take it. Interesting to see if they toss out a sweet jersey for it. Mavs game jerseys have been A+ for quite a while
                            All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

I get Hastings opposition to it. I also think it would have been a great idea to try and put together some type of alumni game at least but I'll take it. Interesting to see if they toss out a sweet jersey for it. Mavs game jerseys have been A+ for quite a while
                              It wouldn’t shock me if we see an alternate jersey for that game — I’d presume they have the hockey day patch on them, and with the success of the jersey auctions MSU has done, that would be a great fundraiser as well.

You’re also spot on RE: the jerseys being great recently — utilizing the school colors and far less black has been beautiful.

I wouldn’t rule an alumni game out yet, either. I know there have been some done at Hockey Day MN’s in the past, and the MSU/UST game was just the start of the announcements pertaining to games and festivities.
                              AF 99

Comment

Any word on tickets yet? And has the state cleared full attendance?

Comment

Working...
                                X