Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 55th Great Lakes Invitational

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    There is a great misnomer of Detroit being a Hockeytown. This is false it is a Red Wing Hockeytown. Most are clueless when it comes to college hockey. Take a look at what was written in the local online papers. I could be wrong but I would state easily 2 MTU fans to 1 UM and MSU fan. For those two bases to show up the teams have to be very good that year.

Bring a team from out east is great if it brings some name recognition. ie UMass will not.

What other rink options are there if any? LCA is nice and new BUT no impressed with the service or the Ilitches way of doing business.
    Not to beat a dead horse but for financial reasons, the present format is the best. Though I doubt Ferris brought very many it has to have been better than the pittance that Harvard or CC brought in the past. The truth is very few fan bases travel very well. We want the tournament to keep going. if that means the present format stays, then it stays. Especially if OE continues to ask for more money to allow it to be there.
    I'd love to see other teams, but I also want there to be a tournament.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      I would be more than happy to see Michigan and State ALTERNATE years coming to the tourney and opening yet another slot for OUT OF STATE invites. Michigan and MSU see enough of each other in the Big Mistake regular season and maybe again in the playoffs. No reason for them both to be in the same tourney as well. From what I've seen, maybe only being in it every other year will get their fans to actually show up when they play?

As a grand vision, I would love to see Tech take over this tourney and start running it on their own. It is clear that the Tech fan base views it as an even they look forward to and Michigan / Michigan State fans generally could care less. Their bands don't show up. Their student sections don't show up. And their fans barely show up. They are either watching football bowl games, men's college basketball, women's college basketball and eventually their hockey team comes in somewhere in the top 10 things that get their fans' attention.

I think a better GLI field would be Tech every year, MSU/Michigan alternate as team #2, #3 is a local team from within a 3-4 hours of Detroit (so the marketing folks don't panic about attendance) and the 4th team drawn from anywhere (hopefully from ECAC, AH, HE or we'd even settle for an NCHC team). The tourney's footprint has gotten too local and it is time to push it back onto the national stage. Want to minimize the Michigan feel even more, replace the MSU/Michigan two-team alternation with ANY Michigan D-I team. So everyone in Michigan gets a shot at the GLI, but your chance comes up once every five years (assuming all of the teams even want a spot).
      Have you been living under a rock the past 5-10 years? MSU or UM fans aren't showing up because their teams have been terrible. If these two teams ever come close to their past greatness, attendance will rebound.

I attended plenty of GLIs when they were inviting the non-regional guests and you never saw any of their fans. Just face it--the GLI is not the GLI without MSU or UM.
      CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Not to beat a dead horse but for financial reasons, the present format is the best. Though I doubt Ferris brought very many it has to have been better than the pittance that Harvard or CC brought in the past. The truth is very few fan bases travel very well. We want the tournament to keep going. if that means the present format stays, then it stays. Especially if OE continues to ask for more money to allow it to be there.
        I'd love to see other teams, but I also want there to be a tournament.
        I've said for years I'd like to see some real reporting behind the GLI's finances. Does Tech take a loss on it? How much more is Olympia charging them to play at the Oven and have their crappy Monday/Tuesday time slot compared to when they were at JLA and playing in the prime time Friday/Saturday slot? The Monday/Tuesday time slot is lame IMO. I wonder if Olympia is really putting the screws to Tech on the rent.
        CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
          Have you been living under a rock the past 5-10 years? MSU or UM fans aren't showing up because their teams have been terrible. If these two teams ever come close to their past greatness, attendance will rebound.

I attended plenty of GLIs when they were inviting the non-regional guests and you never saw any of their fans. Just face it--the GLI is not the GLI without MSU or UM.
          The GLI can easily be THE GLI without one of those two. They are quite the fair-weather fans.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Do you think Olympia would be amenable to eliminating Michigan, MSU or both?
            I thought Tech and Michigan were the hosts? MSU got invited every year for obvious reasons and then one additional was invited. Could be wrong, but that was what I thought was going on. I don't think it would go if both were out. Certainly attendace will always be directly proportional to how well a team, or teams are doing.
            “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
            – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
            when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
              The GLI can easily be THE GLI without one of those two. They are quite the fair-weather fans.
              Uhhh no...there are SO many State and Michigan fans. Besides it being cohosted by Michigan, having them out would be a disaster for attendance.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                I've said for years I'd like to see some real reporting behind the GLI's finances. Does Tech take a loss on it? How much more is Olympia charging them to play at the Oven and have their crappy Monday/Tuesday time slot compared to when they were at JLA and playing in the prime time Friday/Saturday slot? The Monday/Tuesday time slot is lame IMO. I wonder if Olympia is really putting the screws to Tech on the rent.
                I don't know how set your hearts are on Detroit, but if the screws are genuinely being put to you, perhaps Van Andel would be a good change of venue after the contract expires.
                Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Working...
                X