Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMass and the Carvel/Barr transformation - biggest HEA disruptors since ... ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Zac Jones to the Rangers. What Carvel has done is nothing short of remarkable. But it will obviously be tough to keep up this level of success. We'll see what happens with Lindberg and Kessel. Happens to everyone though. Bazin hasn't had the same success since his lone FF trip. Leaman did get back to a 2nd FF but amazingly they have not won Hockey East during their run of success. It's a grind and ultra competitive these days. Hockey East may not be as top heavy as it was in the Big 4 era but with PC, UML, UMass, NU and even UConn...it's a stronger league from top to bottom.
    One of these things is not like the others
    One of these things just doesn't belong ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

But they've been on the precipice of a breakthrough in recent years! They just happen to fall on their face in the Hockey East tournament each and every time.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        But they've been on the precipice of a breakthrough in recent years! They just happen to fall on their face in the Hockey East tournament each and every time.
        Somehow Luce got nominated for HEA Coach of the Year this year, while Coach Carvel didn't.

Wrap your head around that annoying little factoid, and tell me how that makes sense?!?

Carvel probably got shunned for asking Commish PR too many annoying questions ...

Comment

?
          #NewMass

Comment

Conference also passed over Carvel for Albie O’Connell and it seems like BU fans want him fired. Baffling.

Is it really the Commissioner who makes the nominations? Not press or something like that?
            #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
              Conference also passed over Carvel for Albie O’Connell and it seems like BU fans want him fired. Baffling.

Is it really the Commissioner who makes the nominations? Not press or something like that?
              Remember the college hockey so called "media" said there was nothing in those emails
              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                Remember the college hockey so called "media" said there was nothing in those emails
                The media - be it in college hockey or elsewhere - stopped being inquisitive years ago, and now only cares about furthering their own personal interests and agendas. Whether it's currying favor with the new commish here, or with a senile old man down in DC, getting to the actual "truth" in these things takes a distant second place (or even further back?) to "What's in it for me?"

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                  Also ... don't forget the college hockey media has never even gone close to the issue I raised in the outset of the Effingwoods Hockey Alamac thread about the predominance of referees (and other off-ice league officials and employees) from a certain shared HEA school background. Crickets.

Can you imagine the uproar if Jeremy Jacobs' son or one of Mike Ilitch's kids were refereeing real games in the NHL, even if those games didn't involve the B's or the Wings?!?

Comment

I suspect Albie got some notice for coach if the year when BU went on a mini run in the middle of their shortened season before the wheels fell off after opposing coaches figured them out.

Oh and Chuck, you really shouldn't have worn your Montreal Expos hat to the Capitol riot. You stick out like a sore thumb on that sedition watch website where they identify you guys for the FBI.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      I suspect Albie got some notice for coach if the year when BU went on a mini run in the middle of their shortened season before the wheels fell off after opposing coaches figured them out.

Oh and Chuck, you really shouldn't have worn your Montreal Expos hat to the Capitol riot. You stick out like a sore thumb on that sedition watch website where they identify you guys for the FBI.
                      Albie got noticed because BU was picked for 6th and finished 2nd well above expectations. Umass was picked 2nd and finished 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                        Albie got noticed because BU was picked for 6th and finished 2nd well above expectations. Umass was picked 2nd and finished 3rd.
                        Yeah, that HEPI thing really turned out to be a peach, didn't it? UMass 3rd hahahahaha ...

Comment

Funny thing is, and this is a true story ... I really haven't worn my Expos hat since late 2013, and it absolutely had an FBI angle to it, Rover. That was the year of the Marathon bombing, and I was near the finish line with my then-HS age daughter who was/still is an accomplished distance runner, but we were only there as spectators (we'd both never been before). The skies were the clearest blue skies I could ever remember, we were there when the top runners from both divisions finished, and we were halfway back to NH when the world news happened literally adjacent to where we'd been 90 minutes earlier.

Flash forward to late 2013, and we were attending a cross-country event down in NYC over Thanksgiving Day weekend with several of her HS teammates and their families. One of the other parents comes up to show me a video excerpt of this big old dope standing near the finish line 7 months earlier in Boston, wearing an Expos hat (wonder who?). Apparently he was an FBI guy and this was video taken from one of dozens of surveillance cameras mounted in the area, and he could expand the video to identify it as yours truly, with daughter in front of me. We had a good chuckle about it, but it was spooky, and the Expos hat (which I'd also worn to that NYC event) was replaced as my regular hat by a hat featuring the logo of the local soccer club I'd founded a few years earlier. I still have the Expos hat, but it rarely makes it out of the house anymore.

Our daughter has since run the Marathon several times, and I've been by that site a few times before when it wasn't Marathon Monday, but I haven't been able to go back to that place on the day of the race. Probably some form of survivor's guilt, even though we were long gone well before it happened.

That's my honest-to-goodness "Forrest Gump" story, in the wrong place at the right time.

It's now officially the offseason, I guess ... ;-)

Comment

Good story Chuck. A friend of mine actually caught a picture of one if those aholes (the one in the white hat) and sent it in to the FBI when they were asking for photos of the event.

Regarding coaches, I imagine good coaches have been penalized in COTY awards since their inception due to the expectation that they'll have a good team. While I'm not one to own up to a mistake very easily, I will admit to a couple of weeks this year where I actually thought Albie could tell his a sshole from a hole in the ground. The events of the end of the season set me straight pretty quickly.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Regarding coaches, I imagine good coaches have been penalized in COTY awards since their inception due to the expectation that they'll have a good team. While I'm not one to own up to a mistake very easily, I will admit to a couple of weeks this year where I actually thought Albie could tell his a sshole from a hole in the ground. The events of the end of the season set me straight pretty quickly.
                              I think you are right about the expectations of the team regarding COY. At the pro level, Belichick has only won it 3 times but most will say he is the best of his generation. I think that if you have had a good team consistently the coach gets taken for granted. However, if you exceed expectations then they put you up for COY.

Comment

I get that. Just seems laughable to me how many fans from school(s) whose coach(es) were nominated for the award but now want them fired and replaced by a coach that wasn’t nominated.

?\_(ツ)_/?
                                #NewMass

Comment

Working...
                                X