Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMass and the Carvel/Barr transformation - biggest HEA disruptors since ... ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bazin's a great coach but IMO it's time for him to get out of there. With the ascension of UMass Amherst to the top of college hockey I don't see how the satellite campus in Lowell beats out Amherst for top players. He's done about all that he can over there and whether its the pros or a more high profile school it's time to move on. If Lowell starts having a few down years that school isn't going to keep paying him 700K a year even if it's not his fault that recruiting has dried up. Dave Quinn understood this and now should be set for life regardless of how the Rangers gig turns out.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Bazin's a great coach but IMO it's time for him to get out of there. With the ascension of UMass Amherst to the top of college hockey I don't see how the satellite campus in Lowell beats out Amherst for top players. He's done about all that he can over there and whether its the pros or a more high profile school it's time to move on. If Lowell starts having a few down years that school isn't going to keep paying him 700K a year even if it's not his fault that recruiting has dried up. Dave Quinn understood this and now should be set for life regardless of how the Rangers gig turns out.
      Bazin is coaching at his alma mater, and has transformed his program into a regular contender for the national tourney. He's had his success in the (much closer) shadows of BC and BU, and earlier in his regime in the shadow of an admittedly-fading UNH. I don't think what happens in Amherst has any significant impact on what happens in Lowell. Norm has made Lowell hockey more relevant than it ever has been, recruits from a separate niche than most, and has a decent formula for success.

There's plenty of tread left on Bazin's tires at UMass Lowell. That could change, sure, but not anytime soon, and I doubt if that eventually happens, it will have anything to do with what does or does not happen in Amherst ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Del Gaizo signs

Lindberg and Kessel watch now
        It would suck if Lindberg and Kessel leave but it could easily happen. Hope they stay. If they go, best of luck. Congrats to Del Gaizo. His goal against Denver will go down in UMASS hockey history!!!

Comment

Minnesota-Duluth seems to do okay competing against Minnesota...
          The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
          BC - 12
          BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Historically, UML has had no problem competing with (and beating the hell out of) UMass. Very thankful for Carvel. Since his second season UMass has advanced further than UML in the post season every year possible. #Flagship (insert smiley face)
            #NewMass

Comment

Jeff Cox @JeffCoxSports
              UMass leading scorer Bobby Trivigno is returning to the Minutemen for his senior season, per sources. Walter Brown Award winner had 34 pts in 29 GP. Will attend New York Rangers Development Camp this summer. Huge news for @UMassHockey

Comment

Why can’t I see this thread in the Men’s Division I forum? I see it on the main forums page when someone posts in it, that’s the only way I can see what’s going on in this thread. So weird.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                  Jeff Cox @JeffCoxSports
                  UMass leading scorer Bobby Trivigno is returning to the Minutemen for his senior season, per sources. Walter Brown Award winner had 34 pts in 29 GP. Will attend New York Rangers Development Camp this summer. Huge news for @UMassHockey
                  Terrific news for UMass if/when confirmed.

Comment

Scott Morrow's kid switching his commitment from NoDak to UMass, another apparent coup for Carvel/Barr ... but Barr may be heading to UMaine now, can UMass survive his departure if (and eventually when) it comes - if not to UMaine, somewhere else eventually? Or does Barr become the long-term "Standbrook" to Carvel's "Walsh"? Doesn't sound that way, but ... ???

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Scott Morrow's kid switching his commitment from NoDak to UMass, another apparent coup for Carvel/Barr ... but Barr may be heading to UMaine now, can UMass survive his departure if (and eventually when) it comes - if not to UMaine, somewhere else eventually? Or does Barr become the long-term "Standbrook" to Carvel's "Walsh"? Doesn't sound that way, but ... ???
                      UMass has quite a stockpile of recruits (27) over the next few years on the Heisenberg site. In addition they are also bringing in 3 players from the portal for next year. It will be interesting to see how they manage all these recruits.

Chris Heisenberg's 2021 List.xlsx - Google Sheets

Comment

I think I know how they will manage them. They will take the best ones and the rest will go elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          I think I know how they will manage them. They will take the best ones and the rest will go elsewhere.
                          Which is to say, UMASS's talent evaluation and development is top notch such that there's a history of guys leaving early for the pros. So I have no doubt their recruiting pipeline will smooth out one way or the other.

Comment

So after this week's big news ... what impact does Barr's move to UMaine have on UMass???

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that the president of the UMASS system attended Lowell and was the chancellor there. He took great pride in Lowell becoming a power in hockey. I am certain that he would want that to continue regardless of what happens in Amherst.

Comment

Working...
                              X