No announcement yet.

Sun Devil Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting conversation with assistant ASU coach & former NHL goalie Eddie Lack......

https://www.sports360az.com/2020/09/...th-eddie-lack/

Comment

• ASU working to be ready for a November or January start, assuming hockey occurs and teams/conferences are willing to play.

https://www.statepress.com/article/2...th-compliances

Comment

• Big Ten announces 2020-21 scheduling agreement will include Arizona State https://bigten.org/news/2020/10/6/me...ey-season.aspx
        "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

• So zero home games for AzSt in this agreement?

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
            So zero home games for AzSt in this agreement?
            Yup. Apparently that was the only way the B10 would accept ASU as a scheduling partner and the only way ASU could have a 28 game season.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
              Big Ten announces 2020-21 scheduling agreement will include Arizona State https://bigten.org/news/2020/10/6/me...ey-season.aspx
              It appears ASU has a pretty strong hand, getting into a major conference without entry fees. But did have to forego home games which is ok for now being the rink capacity is too low for home team attendance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

It appears ASU has a pretty strong hand, getting into a major conference without entry fees. But did have to forego home games which is ok for now being the rink capacity is too low for home team attendance.
                No home games, that’s a pretty big sacrifice ASU is making but I’m guessing there weren’t many or any other options other than what the B1G was offering. All I can say is if ASU makes the tournament, no one can question them being in.

Comment

...Except that ASU didn't get into the BigTen. Not sure where you got that notion. They got 28-non-conference games, all on the road. ASU isn't even eligible for the BigTen tourney. Nobody charges "entry fees" for scheduling games. The BigTen needed a team to plug all their open weekends for one year due to having an odd number of team and ASU agreed. If you feel playing your whole season on the road is a "strong hand," I would not recommend going to Vegas...
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                    All I can say is if ASU makes the tournament, no one can question them being in.
                    Other than the fact that by making this agreement and ruling out any other non-conference games, the Big Ten and AzSt just effectively killed the PairWise and RPI. And considering that my information says that the biggest holdup right now is agreeing on a way to determine the NCAA tournament field - due in large part to the apprehension toward having a human committee to do it - these schools have just made it more difficult to determine.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

Other than the fact that by making this agreement and ruling out any other non-conference games, the Big Ten and AzSt just effectively killed the PairWise and RPI. And considering that my information says that the biggest holdup right now is agreeing on a way to determine the NCAA tournament field - due in large part to the apprehension toward having a human committee to do it - these schools have just made it more difficult to determine.
                      True, but I think you have to weigh that against the reality that if something wasn't announced soon, you were facing mass exodus to the pros (Granato alluded to this). #Lesserofallevils

Comment

No home games, that’s a pretty big sacrifice ASU is making but I’m guessing there weren’t many or any other options other than what the B1G was offering. All I can say is if ASU makes the tournament, no one can question them being in.
                        ASU will have 14 “home” games, they just will be hundreds of miles from Arizona.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post

ASU will have 14 “home” games, they just will be hundreds of miles from Arizona.
                          So they will receive the last line change for 14 "home" games? Will they also receive any money by doing this?
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

But if no fans are allowed to attend, if that's the way it goes, then no big deal. ASU is used to long distance trips, they seem to thrive on them. Also being ASU set themselves up for long distance learning years ago the student athletes will do fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              ...Except that ASU didn't get into the BigTen. Not sure where you got that notion. They got 28-non-conference games, all on the road. ASU isn't even eligible for the BigTen tourney. Nobody charges "entry fees" for scheduling games. The BigTen needed a team to plug all their open weekends for one year due to having an odd number of team and ASU agreed. If you feel playing your whole season on the road is a "strong hand," I would not recommend going to Vegas...
                              Fair enough, but being it's unlikely there will be many fans if any at home games it negates that advantage for other teams, being that ASU travels better than any other team - Alaska's excepted - it's an advantage, being ASU is well experienced in long distance learning for the student athletes it's an advantage, being the B1G could have set similar up with several other teams but didnt', seems to me they have a strong hand. So.....I respectfully disagree with you.

Comment

But if no fans are allowed to attend, if that's the way it goes, then no big deal. ASU is used to long distance trips, they seem to thrive on them. Also being ASU set themselves up for long distance learning years ago the student athletes will do fine.
                                I don't care how good they are at distance learning, 14 consecutive road trips of 1200 to 1800 miles makes a mockery of the term student athlete. That's a schedule even professional athletes would find grueling.

Comment

Working...
                                X