Sun Devil Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
    No conference news yet, just lots of talk.............
    https://www.therinklive.com/mens-col...urdle-to-clear
    1) fuq Jess Myers for his puff piece on Mel Pearson 2) pretty easy to say the CCHA is one of the conferences to have talked to ASU in the last couple months with the news Lucia traveled there
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

No conference news yet, just lots of talk.............
      https://www.therinklive.com/mens-col...urdle-to-clear
      I wondered how long before ASU wanted to push for a conference. They have a team, new arena, and now recruiting,... Seems like they are ready.

I'm sure the CCHA would do back flips to get them. As mentioned, the B1G is a "natural" similar D1 level school fit. The NCHC makes sense with geography and not having to deal with the whole USC/UCLA leaving for the B1G.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

I wondered how long before ASU wanted to push for a conference. They have a team, new arena, and now recruiting,... Seems like they are ready.

I'm sure the CCHA would do back flips to get them. As mentioned, the B1G is a "natural" similar D1 level school fit. The NCHC makes sense with geography and not having to deal with the whole USC/UCLA leaving for the B1G.
        Obviously, the B1G & CCHA (with Auggie coming next year) are the only ones with natural openings not requiring further shuffling. I do wonder if ASU holds enough of a grudge re: USC/UCLA and the rest of their sports to not want the hockey team to affiliate. I don't think the schools that *really* care about hockey (Minnesota & to a lesser extent, Wisconsin) carry enough clout to try to get ASU in as a full member.

AHA:
        ECAC:

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post

Obviously, the B1G & CCHA (with Auggie coming next year) are the only ones with natural openings not requiring further shuffling. I do wonder if ASU holds enough of a grudge re: USC/UCLA and the rest of their sports to not want the hockey team to affiliate. I don't think the schools that *really* care about hockey (Minnesota & to a lesser extent, Wisconsin) carry enough clout to try to get ASU in as a full member.
          It will be interesting to see. Outside of conference poaching politics, Minnesota, Michigan, WI and MSU would like ASU as a member to play in front of their snowbird alumni.

Comment

It will be interesting to see. Outside of conference poaching politics, Minnesota, Michigan, WI and MSU would like ASU as a member to play in front of their snowbird alumni.
            Clearly. I had previously hypothesized that Auggie didn't bring enough to the CCHA schools not named BSU & Mankato to get the required six votes & look at how wrong I was on that.

AHA:
            ECAC:

Comment

• Seems like good cases can be made for CCHA, NCHC and B1G as the conference to join. Lots of snowbirds from all 3 conferences hang out in Phx. Any of the 3 work good for me personally being I am still in Minnesota at the start of each season. Pro's & con's to all choices. I suspect any other conference is out of the picture.

Comment

Seems like good cases can be made for CCHA, NCHC and B1G as the conference to join. Lots of snowbirds from all 3 conferences hang out in Phx. Any of the 3 work good for me personally being I am still in Minnesota at the start of each season. Pro's & con's to all choices. I suspect any other conference is out of the picture.
                Yep. HE couldn't make the Irish work. I don't see how they could make ASU work. ECAC and AH... Sorry had to stop laughing as any trip above 6 hours is considered brutal travel for them.

I have no idea where ASU is going to end up. As your state, there are pros and cons with each conference.

1. How ASU views their hockey program. (B1G is their level and they played them in the COVID year. Will they get beaten like a drum in the NCHC and be Miami/CC 2.0? Is the CCHA slumming it? They could be a top team, but is there the competition/prestige there?)
                2. How the conferences view expansion, since travel costs don't seem to be an issue. (I get a feeling the CCHA would do almost anything to add ASU. Does the NCHC want to expand past 8 teams as what they have is working? Is the B1G holding an open seat for another B1G school that may or may not be looking at adding a D1 hockey team?)
                3. Political implications/ramifications. (CCHA no impact. NCHC, do they go to 10 teams if they add ASU? Will Miami leave/be released from the NCHC maintaining 8? How much does the UCLA/USC move to the B1G influence this?)

Comment

Yep. HE couldn't make the Irish work. I don't see how they could make ASU work. ECAC and AH... Sorry had to stop laughing as any trip above 6 hours is considered brutal travel for them.

I have no idea where ASU is going to end up. As your state, there are pros and cons with each conference.

1. How ASU views their hockey program. (B1G is their level and they played them in the COVID year. Will they get beaten like a drum in the NCHC and be Miami/CC 2.0? Is the CCHA slumming it? They could be a top team, but is there the competition/prestige there?)
                  2. How the conferences view expansion, since travel costs don't seem to be an issue. (I get a feeling the CCHA would do almost anything to add ASU. Does the NCHC want to expand past 8 teams as what they have is working? Is the B1G holding an open seat for another B1G school that may or may not be looking at adding a D1 hockey team?)
                  3. Political implications/ramifications. (CCHA no impact. NCHC, do they go to 10 teams if they add ASU? Will Miami leave/be released from the NCHC maintaining 8? How much does the UCLA/USC move to the B1G influence this?)
                  Follow the money!......(but to get some kind of accounting for the potential money trail to make a guess is a whole other story and quite an effort.......)

Comment

Follow the money!......(but to get some kind of accounting for the potential money trail to make a guess is a whole other story and quite an effort.......)
                    I agree and that is why I say how ASU views themselves. I think they would be a perennial home ice contender in the cash strapped CCHA. In the more lucrative NCHC and B1G they will make more money, but may struggle to be nationally relevant. (See Wisconsin and Miami/CC) Whatever path they choose, they will be fine.

Comment

• Maybe is too bad ASU didn't have a couple home games this weekend with the Superbowl going on, maybe would have gained some more recognition. Maybe it would have drawn a few additional out-of-town spectators although I don't think any D1 hockey college really affiliates itself with the Philadelphia teams (?).

Comment

Maybe is too bad ASU didn't have a couple home games this weekend with the Superbowl going on, maybe would have gained some more recognition. Maybe it would have drawn a few additional out-of-town spectators although I don't think any D1 hockey college really affiliates itself with the Philadelphia teams (?).
                        I feel like this is probably the absolute worst weekend to go to Phoenix. Super Bowl, PGA tour event, MLB spring training report dates on Monday. Every other ASU team besides women's basketball is out of town as are the Suns & 'Yotes.

AHA:
                        ECAC:

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post

I feel like this is probably the absolute worst weekend to go to Phoenix. Super Bowl, PGA tour event, MLB spring training report dates on Monday. Every other ASU team besides women's basketball is out of town as are the Suns & 'Yotes.
                          Probably right for most out-of-towners.

Comment

• It's bad enough getting in there. 3 hour waits for a rental car and 300 dollar motels and way up from there, is enough to make people think twice. And all that's on a normal weekend.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              It's bad enough getting in there. 3 hour waits for a rental car and 300 dollar motels and way up from there, is enough to make people think twice. And all that's on a normal weekend.
                              Its gone crazy. Airline tix from Minnesota to here are hitting $600 - $1000, hotels & motels way up, paid $200 a nite at Hampton Inns on the drive back down here. Rental cars - best to uber or lyft away from airport and pick up either at Enterprise off-site or one of the car dealers that rent cheaper.
                              Seems like these inflated prices are here to stay.......just hope it stabilizes if not recede.

Comment

Its gone crazy. Airline tix from Minnesota to here are hitting $600 - $1000, hotels & motels way up, paid $200 a nite at Hampton Inns on the drive back down here. Rental cars - best to uber or lyft away from airport and pick up either at Enterprise off-site or one of the car dealers that rent cheaper.
                                Seems like these inflated prices are here to stay.......just hope it stabilizes if not recede.
                                I'm all for capitalism, but the recent airline/lodging/rental car consolidation seems to be increase costs, padded corporate profit margins, destroyed competition/service, and reduced traveler's selection.

Comment

Working...
                                X