Sun Devil Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

Other than the fact that by making this agreement and ruling out any other non-conference games, the Big Ten and AzSt just effectively killed the PairWise and RPI. And considering that my information says that the biggest holdup right now is agreeing on a way to determine the NCAA tournament field - due in large part to the apprehension toward having a human committee to do it - these schools have just made it more difficult to determine.
    Makes me wonder if have some kind of format/field similar to when each conference tournament champion and regular season champion made the field. Doing that with the current 6 conferences would be 12 teams, and I could see them giving a third spot to each of the Nacho, B1G, HE, and ECAC and freezing out the WCHA and Atlantic - who with a guaranteed 2 teams are already doing better than most years. Then, if Arizona St plays well enough, it would probably be at the expense of that 3rd B1G school, and if LIU plays, I'm guessing it would be at the expense of an ECAC school (depending on their schedule).

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

They stopped the construction before getting to that point. No changes for MSU this season, but when they do move the penalty box is moving as well.
      True for a while, but some construction has continued. Here is what a local station said about the bench move...I took it to refer to this year, but might mean next year.

https://www.wilx.com/2020/10/07/msu-...cent-complete/

Comment

• Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post

I have to admit, I'm somewhat surprised Arizona St committed to this. Did I miss announcements from other conferences on schedules? I would have thought maybe Arizona St could agree to a road trip to each of the B1G schools (14 games) and then maybe try to fill the rest assuming others had some limited non-conference games. If necessary, 4-8 games against LIU, get a couple home games against Alaska and Huntsville (with the promise of trips in future years when those schools may be facing scheduling difficulties), and maybe Air Force or fill in a couple of home dates against DII schools if there's really a void.
        No conference has released a schedule yet, but all indications are most will be starting in Nov-Jan and have all or mostly conference only games in a shortened season. That would make it impossible for ASU to have a meaningful schedule. The fact is fan attendance will be limited (if allowed at all) making budgets very tight making trips to Arizona out of the question for most schools. As far as LIU, they are likely to postpone the jump to D1 for a year.

While far from ideal for ASU, this was probably the only option they had that would guarantee 28 games. Of course if all works out they could end up in the B10 in the future once their arena is completed.

Comment

• The NCHC had conversations with Arizona State about the Sun Devils, who are not a member of any college hockey conference, paying to be part of the NCHC hub to get games for the 2020-2021 season. Arizona State ultimately created a scheduling alliance with the Big Ten.
          Link: Grand Forks, Omaha emerge as frontrunners to host NCHC hub

So looks like ASU did have an alternative option.
          Last edited by SiouxFanatic; 10-12-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• Ya, they could have paid to become the 9th member of a three week bubble with a max of probably 10 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
              Link: Grand Forks, Omaha emerge as frontrunners to host NCHC hub

So looks like ASU did have an alternative option.
              I have leaned towards NCHC, being from GF & a SIOUX fan forever, but I guess maybe the B1G travel costs were lower or similar to the NCHC entry fee plus travel costs(?). Being no students allowed either conference doesn't get much home ice advantage. B1G might have been best deal for ASU student athletes with more games. Also B1G & PAC12 have basically identical COVID exposure & testing protocols, no invention required, path of least resistance....
              Last edited by Sol Diablo; 10-12-2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

I have leaned towards NCHC, being from GF & a SIOUX fan forever, but I guess maybe the B1G travel costs were lower or similar to the NCHC entry fee plus travel costs(?). Being no students allowed either conference doesn't get much home ice advantage. B1G might have been best deal for ASU student athletes with more games.
                I’d say major factor is that the NCHC bubble would’ve only provided 10 games for ASU. I’m guessing if ASU could’ve filled out rest of schedule plus NCHC bubble they probably would’ve done that. But with every conference seemingly only allowing in-conference play, I’d say ASU doing the B1G scheduling deal was only way to guarantee getting all games in.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post

True for a while, but some construction has continued. Here is what a local station said about the bench move...I took it to refer to this year, but might mean next year.

https://www.wilx.com/2020/10/07/msu-...cent-complete/
                  It does mean next year. The bench switch will be the last part of the project, not happening until the full locker room is moved. The major portion of that 70% was getting everything enclosed from the elements.

Comment

• The latest article on the upcoming season for the Sun Devils. Seems they have the right attitude going into this, and that's a good piece of the equation. As that old management & coaching saying goes, "We can teach skills, we can't teach passion, but we can set up an environment to promote it"

https://www.statepress.com/article/2...ten-in-2020-21

Comment

• I'd say he's Blue Label.........but I'm more of a Canadian whisky drinker.......
                      https://www.statepress.com/article/2...ollegiate-year

Comment

• ASU begins season in one week at Michigan followed by MSU. Full schedule drops today.
                        Last edited by wsummers; 11-05-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/CraigSMorgan/sta...63336453386240

Great to see it official now. Awesome news for ASU. NCHC membership starting 2022-2023 season?
                          Last edited by SiouxFanatic; 11-05-2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                            ASU begins season in one week at Michigan followed by MSU. Full schedule drops today.
                            Thanks. I'm wondering if any games will be shown on PAC 12 television. They broadcast many ASU home games but not sure how it works for this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                              https://twitter.com/CraigSMorgan/sta...6333645338624

Great to see it official now. Awesome news for ASU. NCHC membership starting 2022-2023 season?
                              Taxpayers are only on the hook for $11 million, the other $110 +/- million is from private donors. NCHC would be great & I'm biased towards them being I was born in GF & went to UND for 1 semester. But CCHA or B1G would be great too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

Taxpayers are only on the hook for $11 million, the other $110 +/- million is from private donors. NCHC would be great & I'm biased towards them being I was born in GF & went to UND for 1 semester. But CCHA or B1G would be great too.
                                This is large! When the footings go in every conference opens their door. Odd numbers do not matter as that allows the Big 10 the ability to cross schedule if they land in the NCHC. Great day for ASU!

Comment

Working...
                                X