No announcement yet.

UNH 2021 Off-Season Thread: Finally!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "UNH Commits Stiven Sardaryan & Alex Gagne Selected in 2021 NHL Entry Draft"
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• In today's Union Leader MS7 discusses the upcoming 2021/2022 UNH Hockey schedule ...

https://www.unionleader.com/sports/c...7fc47ccd7.html

MS7 is also stoked about HE's return to its "participation medals" approach to MBPBEGAM playoffs:

Every team will make the Hockey East playoffs this year, with the opening round scheduled for March 9. The Hockey East semifinals and title game will be played at TD Garden in Boston March 18-19.

Only the top eight teams qualified for the Hockey East playoffs two years ago and each team qualified last season. Souza said every team should make the tournament while the league has an odd number of teams.

I think as long as there’s an unbalanced schedule, every team should be in the playoffs,” Souza said. “I think the athletic directors felt that way, the coaches felt that way. I know the student-athletes are excited about it. I certainly am.”

((( puzzled emoji )))

Help me out here ... what exactly is "unbalanced" about a schedule where every member school plays every other member school twice per season? Does "unbalanced" mean when you play UMaine and UVM, there are two games played at the same site, instead of one game at each site?? And even if it were "unbalanced", why should that be the reason for the worst three teams to make up the numbers in the league tourney???

It's still the offseason, let's hash this thing out, and debunk the stupidity of allowing bad teams into the "postseason", and reducing the relevance of the regular season into a seeding exercise ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Help me out here ... what exactly is "unbalanced" about a schedule where every member school plays every other member school twice per season? Does "unbalanced" mean when you play UMaine and UVM, there are two games played at the same site, instead of one game at each site?? And even if it were "unbalanced", why should that be the reason for the worst three teams to make up the numbers in the league tourney???
        Some HE teams play each other three times. UNH for example plays PC, UConn, Vermont and Lowell thrice.

But still, who cares. You finish in the bottom half of the league, you lose your right to complain that you would have done better if you hand't had to play someone a third time.

The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

• In other news, Warren Foegele to Edmonton...
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            Some HE teams play each other three times. UNH for example plays PC, UConn, Vermont and Lowell thrice.

But still, who cares. You finish in the bottom half of the league, you lose your right to complain that you would have done better if you hand't had to play someone a third time.
            Thanks for clarifying, 'Watcher. And yeah, who cares, your 20 "balanced" games overrides any scheduling inequities from the other four "unbalanced" games.

FWIW the four games UNH has this season is hardly an onerous burden. It's got a very .500 feel to it, maybe with PC being top tier, UML slightly below (top half?), UConn on par and UVM below.

It's hardly as if UNH is going to be faced with UMass, BC, BU and NU. Get over it, MS7.

Comment

• Seeing a coach who is happy that all teams will make the playoffs doesnt really foreshadow great results moving forward. What happened to selling my program as the best choice, fighting for and winning better recruits and playing the best opponents around to prove it?

There once was a rather "mediocre" college coach trying to grow his backwoods and irrelevant program who said something along the lines of - "To show the type of program we are building here, I will play anyone, anytime, and anywhere, as long as it is on TV". How did that attitude and confidence work out for Shawn Walsh?

Comment

• every team should be in the playoffs,” Souza said. “I think the athletic directors felt that way, the coaches felt that way. I know the student-athletes are excited about it. I certainly am.”
                Originally posted by Whalers View Post
                Seeing a coach who is happy that all teams will make the playoffs doesnt really foreshadow great results moving forward. What happened to selling my program as the best choice, fighting for and winning better recruits and playing the best opponents around to prove it?
                Yes, he's pretty crappy at public messaging. Let's hope he's better in private. Saying you're "excited" about the change suggests it matters to you. How about "it won't effect us because we expect to be in the top half of the league."
                Or else he's just brown nosing the bosses (ADs and Metcalf) who made the rule. "Gee, the smart guys made the best rule ever. Everyone loves them." Of course, they may just be dumb enough to believe the praise.

But, let me not end on a negative tone. Congratulations to UNH on making the playoffs for the second consecutive season.
                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 07-30-2021, 07:50 AM.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Yes, he's pretty crappy at public messaging. Let's hope he's better in private. Saying you're "excited" about the change suggests it matters to you. How about "it won't effect us because we expect to be in the top half of the league."
                  Or else he's just brown nosing the bosses (ADs and Metcalf) who made the rule. "Gee, the smart guys made the best rule ever. Everyone loves them." Of course, they may just be dumb enough to believe the praise.

But, let me not end on a negative tone. Congratulations to UNH on making the playoffs for the second consecutive season.
                  I vote for Option #2. "Please don't fire me, Blue Skies ... we made the playoffs two years running!"

Comment

• UNH playing Hahvad instead of Bentley for their 34th game. Who cares about balanced vs unbalanced HEA schedules. All that matters is the almighty PWR. UNH has challenged itself with another blockbuster season of OOC opponents: Union (2), AZ State (2), @ Harvard, Holy Cross (back to back nights), @ Dartmouth and BC (Ledyard), St Lawrence, and Clarkson, with seven home and one neutral game. Win those ten, and we just might get to Albany, Woostah, Allentown, or Loveland (Colorado) for a NCAA regional in lieu of da Gahden for the HEA tourney. And, would not that be somethin' if we got to da Gahden for the FF instead?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      UNH playing Hahvad instead of Bentley for their 34th game. Who cares about balanced vs unbalanced HEA schedules. All that matters is the almighty PWR. UNH has challenged itself with another blockbuster season of OOC opponents: Union (2), AZ State (2), @ Harvard, Holy Cross (back to back nights), @ Dartmouth and BC (Ledyard), St Lawrence, and Clarkson, with seven home and one neutral game. Win those ten, and we just might get to Albany, Woostah, Allentown, or Loveland (Colorado) for a NCAA regional in lieu of da Gahden for the HEA tourney. And, would not that be somethin' if we got to da Gahden for the FF instead?
                      It's been a quiet summer up yonder, hasn't it, Snives? Hope you bounce back from the head injury. ;-)

Comment

• Let's see tomorrow where UNH ranks in the pecking order.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Let's see tomorrow where UNH ranks in the pecking order.
                          Based on your signature, I'm reckoning a solid 9th place prediction is in the cards ...

Comment

• Well, its a reverse draft, where the best teams get the first picks. Hard to break into the top if you're drafting next to last.

Thankfully Kohei Sato was just announced so his is the last feed on the twitter "unh hockey" filter. Previously there was a post encapsulating all that was wrong with UNH recruiting 2015-2019, and it set me off each time I saw it.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

Thankfully Kohei Sato was just announced so his is the last feed on the twitter "unh hockey" filter. Previously there was a post encapsulating all that was wrong with UNH recruiting 2015-2019, and it set me off each time I saw it.
                              Good to see UNH Hockey sweating the details off the ice these days, just as they do on the ice ...

Comment

Let's see tomorrow where UNH ranks in the pecking order.
                                I doubt much happens today - these kids need to take their time in order to prove Durham is where they want to be. The kids committing early are just the talented ones with lots of offers - no worries, it’s the one offer kids that are truly grateful!!
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X