UNH 2021 Off-Season Thread: Finally!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

So now we've got the Huntsville version of Blob Ben Bishop. Another net filler. Great ...

Underwhelmed, but if Robinson is indeed returning, all that matters is if he's an upgrade on TT.
    If you're already going to compare him to Ben Bishop, that's fine by me :-)

His stats at UAH aren't anything to sneeze at....he potentially could do very well with a different cast of characters in front of him.

UNH

Comment

• RE: Ben Bishop...3 time Vezina finalist, Stanley Cup winner with TB...owner of a career SV% of .921....that kind of goalie would not be a bad thing to have I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by TV producer View Post
        RE: Ben Bishop...3 time Vezina finalist, Stanley Cup winner with TB...owner of a career SV% of .921....that kind of goalie would not be a bad thing to have I think.
        Yep, sounds good to me! Maybe Chuck (and I don't mean to talk about you like you're not here ) was hoping for Jimmy Howard?
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Yep, sounds good to me! Maybe Chuck (and I don't mean to talk about you like you're not here ) was hoping for Jimmy Howard?
          Good one, 'Ref. I like when you get sarcastic and feisty. More, please!! :-)

Once upon a time, at least Jimmy Howard possessed some talent that extended beyond being huge and filling space in a net that was barely up to his bellybutton. Guys like Bishop represent the worst of the current state of goaltending - massive space-fillers who use their mass to snugly fit within the net, playing angles on their knees, acting like a human curbstone. I'll pass on BBB.

You might want to inform your new buddy the following about the "amazing" Blob Ben Bishop:

(1) BBB has been nominated for the Vezina three times ... but he's won it zero (0) times;
          (2) It might come as a surprise to your new pal that BBB has NEVER won the Stanley Cup - not in St. Louis, not in Tampa Bay, not in LA, and not in Dallas. NEVER. You can look it up;
          (3) The closest BBB ever came to winning a Stanley Cup was last year in Dallas, but only after he was replaced in the playoffs by the immortal Anton Khudobin;
          (4) His organizations have held him in such high esteem that he's been traded four (4) times, including for guys named Erik Cernak (by far the best, now on a D pairing with Victor Hedman at TBL), Peter Budaj, Cory Conacher, and a slew of lower round draft picks (#2 the tops).

If BBB wasn't 6'7" and able to block out the sun (and 92% of the net) with his girth, he'd still be stuck in the AHL, like he was for most of the first six (6) years after he left UMaine to turn pro - until it occurred to John Cooper that he had a really huge kid to sit in front of his net, and it worked for a few years until TBL landed a real goalie (Vasilevskiy) in the draft.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Once upon a time, at least Jimmy Howard possessed some talent that extended beyond being huge and filling space in a net that was barely up to his bellybutton. Guys like Bishop represent the worst of the current state of goaltending - massive space-fillers who use their mass to snugly fit within the net, playing angles on their knees, acting like a human curbstone. I'll pass on BBB.

You might want to inform your new buddy the following about the "amazing" Blob Ben Bishop:

(1) BBB has been nominated for the Vezina three times ... but he's won it zero (0) times;
            (2) It might come as a surprise to your new pal that BBB has NEVER won the Stanley Cup - not in St. Louis, not in Tampa Bay, not in LA, and not in Dallas. NEVER. You can look it up;
            (3) The closest BBB ever came to winning a Stanley Cup was last year in Dallas, but only after he was replaced in the playoffs by the immortal Anton Khudobin;
            (4) His organizations have held him in such high esteem that he's been traded four (4) times, including for guys named Erik Cernak (by far the best, now on a D pairing with Victor Hedman at TBL), Peter Budaj, Cory Conacher, and a slew of lower round draft picks (#2 the tops).

If BBB wasn't 6'7" and able to block out the sun (and 92% of the net) with his girth, he'd still be stuck in the AHL, like he was for most of the first six (6) years after he left UMaine to turn pro - until it occurred to John Cooper that he had a really huge kid to sit in front of his net, and it worked for a few years until TBL landed a real goalie (Vasilevskiy) in the draft.
            Well thanks for the education Chuck! And for the record, while I wouldn't mind one bit to be TV producer's buddy, I barely know 'em but stand by his assertion that having a goalie with Ben Bishop's talents would not be a bad thing. Obviously, someone sees his talent and pays him well for it. I'm just glad UNH has filled the slot (and also glad MR is coming back for one more run) and guess we'll find out. Hopefully the new guy gets playing time...
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Well thanks for the education Chuck! And for the record, while I wouldn't mind one bit to be TV producer's buddy, I barely know 'em but stand by his assertion that having a goalie with Ben Bishop's talents would not be a bad thing. Obviously, someone sees his talent and pays him well for it. I'm just glad UNH has filled the slot (and also glad MR is coming back for one more run) and guess we'll find out. Hopefully the new guy gets playing time...
              m glad UNH has gotten some clarity on their goalie situation as well, 'Ref. As long as our new "'Bama Ben Bishop" is better than Ty Taylor was, I'll learn to appreciate his net-filling girth and blobbiness.

As far as PT goes, like with TT, he'll have to earn it - clearly MS7 never really felt comfortable with TT, they can claim otherwise, but actions speak louder than words. When your top goalie carries a sub .900 save percentage but still gets 90+% of the starts, that reflects poorly on the GK depth.

Comment

• Scott Morrow, a top D previously committed to North Dakota, and son of UNH alum Steve Morrow, has flipped his commitment to U.Mass for next year.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  Scott Morrow, a top D previously committed to North Dakota, and son of UNH alum Steve Morrow, has flipped his commitment to U.Mass for next year.
                  This is what happens when you become a destination (i.e. winning) program. Nice coup for Carvel.

With rumors rampant of Barr-to-UMaine recently, I'm slightly surprised at the timing of this one.

Looks like UNH's streak of being ignored by talented offspring of alums continues, eh 'Watcher?

Comment

• https://www.quanthockey.com/ahl/en/s...men-stats.html

AHL defensemen scoring leaders.

Meanwhile, Poturalski leads the entire league scoring w/ 8-26–34...
                    Last edited by Dan; 05-05-2021, 08:12 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                      I’ll stay away from the stats and indicate analysis of the team’s makeup since I’ve been to disgusted to watch/follow the team...
                      But as for “culture”, UNH still has you folks leading the threads posted, sickened by the way that Union, ULowell, Providence, Yale and now UMass have easily passed us....as is the case every time a Hockey East team wins the NC, a few friends get together and discuss *** is going on.....!
                      Culture? Why did Scarano eliminate the Friends group? How did its existence affect his vision of returning UNH to the top? This booster club lead the way back in the ECAC days! We had an amazing following throughout the country, at Snively and on the road....why was this “culture” destroyed?
                      With every issue of our Alumni magazine I’m very proud of how UNH succeeds in today’s world, on many social, domestic and international frontiers.....so why is it that we can’t give our dedicated athletes the same venues to success?
                      Hockey wise Ithink UNH and Yale are neck and neck these days. As far as a booster club, Yale still has the Schley Room where fans who are willing to pay around $350 for the season can have few drinks and snacks pre, during and post game. The Yale Hockey Association for donors, still lords over the place.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

Looks like UNH's streak of being ignored by talented offspring of alums continues, eh 'Watcher?
                        from hockeyjournal's write up of the national U14 tourney, 2 with UNH ties.

Shattuck-St. Mary’s left wing Cole Eiserman (Newburyport, Mass.) led the USA Hockey 14-U National Championship in scoring with 14 goals and nine assists for 23 points. Boston Junior Eagles right wing Jack Sadowski (Arlington, Mass.) was third in goal scoring with seven.
                        Not that UNH probably has a shot at him, but Shane Eiserman's kid brother is a potential top 5 pick in 2024.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

• Nice to see the Sadowski name for the first time in awhile. I used to work with his linemate Jason Shipulski's uncle, and most long-timers on here will recognize these guys as two of three players on the "S Line" from back in the day, where our current head coach got his start as their left winger (LW Souza LW/C Sadowski/RW Shipiulski) for a couple of seasons, before Souza was elevated to skating on the first line in '99 with Hobey winner Jason Krog and future Hobey finalist Darren Haydar.

I recall Sadowski was from the Midwest, while his fellow "S" classmates were from the Boston area, but Sadowski's kid is a Boston area prospect, so one would think IF a player is going to buck the long-standing trend and come to UNH, it could be Sadowski Jr. I mean, his dad was a long-term linemate of the current head coach. Fingers crossed, and here's to hoping ...

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

from hockeyjournal's write up of the national U14 tourney, 2 with UNH ties.

Not that UNH probably has a shot at him, but Shane Eiserman's kid brother is a potential top 5 pick in 2024.
                            Maybe he will follow his bro Billy to Bentley?

Comment

My favorite memory of BB at Lake Whitt was when Trevor Smith driving hard past the cage leveled him when BB drifted aimlessly out of the crease. I had to look up the details, but it all happened at 3:13 into the second period of a tight game on 3 February 2007 that UNH eventually won 2-1. BB was replaced by Dave Wilson in net, and Smith did not get penalized, nor should he have, imho. But, the zebras Gravel, K. Shea, and Bernardo assessed 24 minor penalties during the game, including a 5-minute major to Smith for charging later in the game (make up call for not being penalized for taking out BB?). Regan stopped 46 shots, and the Maine tandem 38 in that game.

Both teams were still relevant back then, as UNH (21-6-1 on 7 February, 26-11-2 at season end) was still only four years out from their last NC game in Buffalo and Maine (18-8-2 on 7 February, 23-15-2 at season end) only three years out from their last NC game against DU at da Gahdin, with its most amazing final two minutes of a hockey game that I have ever watched, in person or on TV, at any level. Speaking of which, Jimmy Howard, also mentioned in this thread recently, was the Maine goalie in the 10 April 2004 NC game, giving up the only goal of the game to Gabe Gauthier, which Maine fans will never accept as it occurred on the power play from a questionable obstruction interference call on Matt Deschamps midway through the first period. As much as the refs tried to tilt the ice in the late-going for Maine, which played 6 on 3 for the final two minutes without DU ever being able to clear the puck, Adam Berkhoel somehow stopped every shot for the 1-0 win.
                              Last edited by Snively65; 05-06-2021, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Maybe he will follow his bro Billy to Bentley?
                                Oh Snives ... it's bad enough when UNH is leapfrogged by a fellow state school out in Amherst, no need to have a glorified D-3 private in the wilds of Waltham piling on now, is there?

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                My favorite memory of BB at Lake Whitt was when Trevor Smith driving hard past the cage leveled him when BB drifted aimlessly out of the crease. I had to look up the details, but it all happened at 3:13 into the second period of a tight game on 3 February 2007 that UNH eventually won 2-1. BB was replaced by Dave Wilson in net, and Smith did not get penalized, nor should he have, imho. But, the zebras Gravel, K. Shea, and Bernardo assessed 24 minor penalties during the game, including a 5-minute major to Smith for charging later in the game (make up call for not being penalized for taking out BB?). Regan stopped 46 shots, and the Maine tandem 38 in that game.
                                Kevin "The Chancellor" Shea, sitting at the right hand of Father Lahey at BC? Slanderous!! ;-)

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Both teams were still relevant back then, as UNH (21-6-1 on 7 February, 26-11-2 at season end) was still only four years out from their last NC game in Buffalo and Maine (18-8-2 on 7 February, 23-15-2 at season end) only three years out from their last NC game against DU at da Gahdin, with its most amazing final two minutes of a hockey game that I have ever watched, in person or on TV, at any level. Speaking of which, Jimmy Howard, also mentioned in this thread recently, was the Maine goalie in the 10 April 2004 NC game, giving up the only goal of the game to Gabe Gauthier, which Maine fans will never accept as it occurred on the power play from a questionable obstruction interference call on Matt Deschamps midway through the first period. As much as the refs tried to tilt the ice in the late-going for Maine, which played 6 on 3 for the final two minutes without DU ever being able to clear the puck, Adam Berkhoel somehow stopped every shot for the 1-0 win.
                                That was the most recent Frozen Four title game I attended, and agree the ending circumstances were almost surreal. If you told me at the time that would be the last time either UMaine or UNH (2003) would ever play for a title, I'd have laughed you out of the building. Definitely not laughing now ...

Comment

Working...
                                X