No announcement yet.

UNH 2021 Off-Season Thread: Finally!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any updates on potential transfer portal activity (thin excuse to get this back to Page 1)?
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Any updates on potential transfer portal activity (thin excuse to get this back to Page 1)?
      The USHL season ended, and UNH recruit Robert Cronin ended up in 10th place, the first since Charlie Kelleher finished 10th in 2016-17 (as an 18 year old), Andrwe Poturalski 6th in 2013-14. Former UNH recruit Matt White finished 4th in 2010, Phil DeSimone 2nd in 2007, Trevor Smith 3rd in 2005, Jake Micfliker 5th in 2003, and finally Mark Mowers 3rd in 1994.

Recruit Will Margel is 11th in NAHL scoring, even though he joined the league late after getting cut again from the USHL. He is intriguing.
      Jack Ring, a project when recruited, had a limited offensive year as a 20 year old, with only 7 goals, after 3 goals last year.
      Connor Sweeney, similarly a big project when recruited, has not had productivity in his career.
      Ring and Sweeney, as 20 year olds, have no junior eligibility left, so would have to come this fall.

John Evans joined the USHL mid year, but had a hard time cracking top line duty, so only had 9 points in 22 games, and finished the year with a string of DNPs. He started the year in the BC league, with 15 points in 13 games.

Defenseman Alex Gagne was 13th in defenseman scoring, and finished second in +/-. Fellow USHL defenseman Colton Huard finished 4th in +/-.
      Defenseman Nick Ardanaz has not been impactful as I had hoped during the past BCHL season that started 3 weeks ago. Only 4 assists, 3 on the PP, in his 14 games, after having 1-6-7 in 13 games this fall.

Evans and Ardanaz were thought to be part of the 2021 class based on their talent levels, which are high end, but with the chopped season and the potential Eric McAdams returns with a 5th year of eligibility, they may want a normal junior year to grow. They could clearly contribute next year, but in limited learning roles. A guess by another fan is that, with UNH's defensive struggles, bringing in Huard as a defensive guy, they may also want to go with Alex Gagne, a bigger, less puck moving D. He played a lot better this year than expected, and may have leapfrogged over Ardanaz, particularly with UNH's needs. (They have Eriksson, Reid and Verrier/McKinnon as sub-6' guys).

One also could imagine a scenario where last year's true freshmen, Cafarelli and Richels, might be encouraged to play a year in juniors to work on their weaknesses.

Rookie Defenseman Damien Carfagna, a 2022 recruit, had a solid freshman year, with 18 points and +13 while seeing no powerplay duty.

With no news on UNH lining up a replacement for Robinson, and with Taylor not getting a landing spot yet, I think there's a real possibility they both return, for better or worse.

Sr.Ward----------Sr.Pierson--------Sr.McAdams
      Sr.Stevenson----Sr.Engaras-------So.Gendron
      Fr.Cronin--------Jr.Hermann-------So.Cafarelli
      Sr.Richels-------Fr.Margel---------Sr.Esposito
      Fr.Sweeney-----Sr.Cippolone------Jr.Hankinson
      Fr.Ring---------
      [out - Crookshank, Kelleher, Grasso, Sato, in --- Cronin, Margel, Sweeney, Ring, possible Evans & Turner]

Jr.Eriksson------So.Reid
      Sr.MacKinnon---Sr.Verrier
      Fr.Huard--------So.Jenson
      Fr.Gagne-------Sr.Semandel
      Sr.Hickey
      [out- Maass, Nagle, in -- Huard, Gagne, possible Ardanaz]
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        With no news on UNH lining up a replacement for Robinson, and with Taylor not getting a landing spot yet, I think there's a real possibility they both return, for better or worse.
        I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this possible turn of events.

Robinson, I can see. San Jose isn't too enthused (I'm not even sure they still have draft rights at this age?), and there's no shortage of space-filling goalies out there who can post a save percentage over .900, so unless Robinson is in a big hurry to check out the sights and destinations in the ECHL (a la Tirone), UNH gives him a good option to try to at least re-establish himself as an AHL guy with potential upside.

Taylor ... not so sure. If Robinson is coming back, why would Taylor do so as well? We've seen that movie (several times) already, and Taylor only gets a bit part in that one. Throw in the current portal adventure, and the curious situation late last season where Taylor apparently scrubbed his mask clean of UNH markings ... and there's some humiliating "walking back" stuff, on top of him knowing where he stands with the coaching staff (fire extinguisher - break glass in case of emergency). Unless it's an education-based decision, one would think he'd rather be ABUNH?

If Robinson doesn't come back, and Taylor can reconcile things with MS7 & Co., then I can see him returning AND playing. But that's the part where I'm not sure I'm either laughing or crying. Other than a small handful of decent games towards the end of his soph season, I don't think we've seen Taylor perform as a legit D-1 keeper for three seasons now. Only the most blindly optimistic among us would expect him to suddenly emerge as a senior (or junior IF last season was a freebie), after the rest of the programs participating in the portal also passed on him.

It would make for a great story, sure, if Taylor found the road to redemption at UNH.

Otherwise, I can't think of a bigger UNH "bust" of a goalie prospect during the HEA era ...

Comment

Otherwise, I can't think of a bigger UNH "bust" of a goalie prospect during the HEA era ...
          Rich Burchill. the #121 NHL pick, goalie of the future who, as a freshman, couldn't get significant playing time from walk-on Greg Rota (.880 save percentage, 5.26 GAA), and then got arrested the summer of his sophomore year for breaking and entering during the summer USA festival in Houston. Was permitted back on squad where as a soph he posted a 6.00 GAA and .854 GAA, before being permanently thrown off the team for vandalism/urinating in public at the Durham Grange.

From what I understand, he righted himself personally, enrolled at Northeastern and had a solid senior year. He even had one year in the ECHL
          https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...y.php?pid=7813
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

• The only goalie left in the portal worth taking a chance on would be NU's Connor Murphy. Otherwise, it's slim pickings...

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe.../connor-murphy

--

I don't love the look of Watcher's roster above - at best that looks like another 8th-place finish, with the floor being last place depending on how UVM's house cleaning turns out...

If they're not going to use the portal to turn over the roster, than bring in every young talent (Gagne, Ardanaz, Turner, Evans) in the pipeline you can and give them immediate experience (even if it means taking some lumps) for a breakthrough season 1-2/3 years in the future.

The constant cycle of too little impact/experienced talent is killing the program. For some reason, UNH seems to think they're consistently on the verge and nothing needs to change but the rink size - when in reality they need to take a LONG look at how they've recruited and managed the roster for the past decade, because its been abysmal.

UNH isn't winning next year - start grouping some actual ability and maybe that will pay off when they're all on the roster, together, as juniors and seniors. Keep spacing out the true talents, keep spacing out their development and experience and you'll keep finishing 8th, keep losing money, fans and interest, and you ensure that any potential turn around gets more difficult, further away and less likely...
            Last edited by Dan; 04-27-2021, 12:50 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• Pretty sure Margel delaying another year, ‘Watcher
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Rich Burchill. the #121 NHL pick, goalie of the future who, as a freshman, couldn't get significant playing time from walk-on Greg Rota (.880 save percentage, 5.26 GAA), and then got arrested the summer of his sophomore year for breaking and entering during the summer USA festival in Houston. Was permitted back on squad where as a soph he posted a 6.00 GAA and .854 GAA, before being permanently thrown off the team for vandalism/urinating in public at the Durham Grange.

From what I understand, he righted himself personally, enrolled at Northeastern and had a solid senior year. He even had one year in the ECHL
                https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...y.php?pid=7813
                Proof how you can take the boy out of Boston, but you can't always take Boston out of the boy.

((( the Durham Grange?!? Really?!?!?!? Quality insight you can only get at USCHO - bravo, 'Watcher!!! )))

At least he got a chance to tote a Beanpot around the original Garden while backing up Bruce Racine, on a team where a young Jimmy Madigan was just getting started as an NU assistant. Let's hope Burchill didn't try to replicate his Grange feat into the venerable old BP trophy that night!!! :-)

Comment

Proof how you can take the boy out of Boston, but you can't always take Boston out of the boy.
                  Ah, that's more the Mike Golden story. Nearly broke the Reading pipeline to UNH. Second round NHL pick. First semester, 3 Fs and and a D. Shows up at Maine a year later claiming it just wasn't the right fit at UNH, and becomes and All-American.
                  The 40th player selected in the National Hockey League’s 1983 amateur draft second-round choice (of Edmonton) Mike Golden of Reading Mass will attend the University of Maine-Orono where he will become eligible in January of 1986 Golden attended the University of New Hampshire during the fall semester of that year but left after running into academic difficulty The 6-foot 190-pound centerright wing will begin attending classes at Maine and will work out with the team in two months “It’s a start on our recruiting for next year and fills one of our initial needs which is strength up front as well as scoring ability” said Maine Coach Shawn Walsh “One of my goals is to have the top recruiting class in the east this year and Mike Golden is a start to acheiving that goal Mike is the top recruit Maine hockey has ever had from a national standpoint” Golden played his high school hockey at Reading High where he was the team’s leading scorer his senior year He captained Reading to its first-ever Middlesex League title and was chosen the league’s Most Valuable Player that year as his team advanced to the Eastern Massachusetts Tournament semifinals He also played well for the Massachusetts schoolboy all-stars in their sweep of the Minnesota schoolboy all-stars “He scored in the high 50s (points) in 20 games his senior year” said Reading Coach Pete Doherty “Mike is the type of player who can do everything He can really skate he’s terrific with the puck and has a great awareness on the ice He has unbelievable potential and is the kind of player who can dominate a game He's a terrific talent” Golden who was chosen to several all-star teams said he wasn’t mentally prepared for college when he attended UNH “I went there with a bad attitude” admitted Golden “After I had been drafted my attitude was that I was going to be a pro So school my family and my friends became secondary I isolated myself and didn’t do anything (academically) and I paid for it I hurt my family I learned a great lesson from that and it was a mistake I’ll never forget It helped me grow up” Golden left New Hampshire at Christmas break to tour Europe with the United States Junior National team and upon his return played Junior B hockey in Stratford Ontario Golden pondered a pro career last summer. He returned to Reading and called some local colleges inquiring about returning to school He also received a call from Maine assistant Jay Leach who invited him up to Orono Golden was a little skeptical about leaving the Boston area but agreed to visit “I was unbelievably impressed with the fanfare and everything at Maine and I love the coaching staff” he said ‘There’s nobody I respect more than coach Walsh and I hope I can help his program and do as much as I can for the Maine Black Bears The coaching staff is going to build a tremendous program at Maine”
                  Burchill was actually a nicer kid, probably just a bit uncontrolled when he drank.
                  Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-27-2021, 07:13 PM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Ah, that's more the Mike Golden story. Nearly broke the Reading pipeline to UNH. Second round NHL pick. First semester, 3 Fs and and a D. Shows up at Maine a year later claiming it just wasn't the right fit at UNH, and becomes and All-American.
                    Sounds like the kid could've walked into Animal House and not missed a beat. Golden Mike, pride of the UNH Class of '87, at least until he became the pride of the UMaine Class of '88.

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    Burchill was actually a nicer kid, probably just a bit uncontrolled when he drank.
                    You think?!? Busting up the grange, then urinating all over the place. That'll leave an impression.

Most city kids stop at the stereotypical cow tipping. This kid went next level, I guess ...

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                      Pretty sure Margel delaying another year, ‘Watcher
                      Ah, interesting. Thanks. That makes it more likely Evans is on the team, though Souza seems a fan of Turner. Speaking of using the opportunity to reset the roster and maybe get a recruit because of the rebuild, there's Ellis Rickwood, the BCHL top scorer, whose sister is on the women's team. He is raw, and will be a defensive liability (as will Evans) until they learn the system (last night he had less than enthusiastic backchecks on two goals against
                      https://youtu.be/jKpIVHBOFyU?t=23

But he fits a glaring need on the RW, and his offense cannot be ignored.set up a nice PP chance with a long backhanded pass cross-ice through traffic.
                      https://youtu.be/jKpIVHBOFyU?t=12

won the game in OT with a toe-drag roofer
                      https://youtu.be/jKpIVHBOFyU?t=216)

(I'd add that 16 year old Matt Wood on Victoria is impressive and the son of former UNH women's assistant Jamie Wood)

Sr.Ward----------Sr.Pierson--------Sr.McAdams
                      Jr.Blaisdell------Sr.Engaras--------So.Gendron
                      Sr.Stevenson---Jr.Hermann-------Fr.Cronin
                      Sr.Richels-------So.Cafarelli--------Fr.Evans
                      Fr.Sweeney-----Sr.Cipollone-------Sr.Esposito
                      Fr.Ring-----------Jr.Hankinson

[out - Crookshank, Kelleher, Grasso, Sato, in --- Cronin, Sweeney, Ring, possible Evans & Turner]

Jr.Eriksson------So.Reid
                      Sr.MacKinnon---Sr.Verrier
                      Fr.Huard--------So.Jenson
                      Fr.Gagne-------Sr.Semandel
                      Sr.Hickey
                      [out- Maass, Nagle, in -- Huard, Gagne, possible Ardanaz]
                      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-28-2021, 10:35 AM.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

• According to a reliable source, @UNDmhockey forward #HarrisonBlaisdell is transferring to @UNHMHOCKEY https://t.co/nB38CrYg4w

-As per CHC via Twitter
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-28-2021, 10:23 AM.
                        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          According to a reliable source, @UNDmhockey forward #HarrisonBlaisdell is transferring to @UNHMHOCKEY https://t.co/nB38CrYg4w

-As per CHC via Twitter
                          You can tell a man from Yawkshire but you can’t tell him much.

Maine had a yorkie a few years ago but he didn’t do much and after a couple years transferred to a DIII school, hopefully yours works out better.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            According to a reliable source, @UNDmhockey forward #HarrisonBlaisdell is transferring to @UNHMHOCKEY https://t.co/nB38CrYg4w

-As per CHC via Twitter
                            I think 'Watcher hinted at this development not too long ago, the kid's dad played in the NHL back in the '80's, first rounder by Detroit, made hay based on a single breakout season in juniors, and never lived up to the billing. Looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Blaisdell has scored two (2) goals in 50+ games for NoDak after a single breakout season in juniors.

Harrison Blaisdell Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Comment

I think 'Watcher hinted at this development not too long ago, the kid's dad played in the NHL back in the '80's, first rounder by Detroit, made hay based on a single breakout season in juniors, and never lived up to the billing. Looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Blaisdell has scored two (2) goals in 50+ games for NoDak after a single breakout season in juniors.
                              Your hatred for Red Wings busts is showing ....

I was just going through the list of interesting kids, and he ticks the marks upside. First, he only turned 20 after the season. Second, he was highly regarded at 15, a second round WHL pick. Third, he had a strongish rookie season in the BCHL for a 16 year old. His "breakout" season was his 17 year season, and the NHL drafted him in the fifth round, even as he was originally a second round Central Scouting ranking mid-year, and 3rd rounder in final rankings. Fifth in the BCHL in goals as a 17 year old is good.

He then had a strong freshman year at NoDak, with 12 points on a deep team as a true freshman, but lost playing time as the year went along. Last year was mired on 4th line, and grinding is not really his thing. But as we see, even NHLers like Warren Foegele are fourth liners as sophomores.

So, he's had one bad year, last year, off a promising development track. He definitely has top two line potential, and a change in scenery is important at times.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

Blaisdell has scored two (2) goals in 50+ games for NoDak after a single breakout season in juniors.

Harrison Blaisdell Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
                                That's what happens when you're young and playing on a very good team - at UNH he immediately rockets to a top-3 (natural) offensive talent w/ higher upside than a guy like Ward, and perhaps even Pierson...

Richels, Cafarelli and Gendron were a combined 3-10--13 in 52 games played last season and those are UNH's top young guns (pending the development/matriculation of Cronin/Evans/Margel/Turner).

Blaisdell is a nice pick up with three full years of eligibility remaining. His addition makes it less likely they rush Evans/Turner/Margel to Durham - though, IMO, adding another talented piece makes it even more important to matriculate/bunch your better talent and let them grow together...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X