UNH 2021 Off-Season Thread: Finally!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Lots of portal action since we were last live - including goalies Eric Dop (apparently heading to BC), Jared Moe, Zach Driscoll, Peter Thome and Dylan St Cyr...

There are teams who will make out like bandits in the transfer market and I’m skeptical UNH will be one of them. This is a once in a lifetime (coach’s career) opportunity for a rebuild...

Also Maass is in the portal, so he’ll play college hockey next year, but not in Durham.
    I hope you are right in that it is a once in a lifetime event, but I fear its not.

The one time transfer rule was discussed prior to the covid situation and seems to be a fait accompli.

ALL 2020-21 players get an extra year of eligibility, not just the seniors.

I think we are looking at the new normal, and that's not even factoring in the slippery slope college sports are headed down which will ultimately lead to players being paid.

'Watcher used the word "messy" to describe what the offseason will like in college hockey. I think he was kind. When all is said and done in a few months the entire college hockey universe is going to need to take a long shower.

At one point the NCAA tried to protect its teams from the so-called "tramp athlete." Unfortunately given the times we live in, it finds it necessary to cater to the whiner athlete.

P.S. I want to see the entire program rebuilt not a single team built, though I do concede that the latter may be a step to the prior.

Last edited by Felger; 04-05-2021, 08:58 AM.
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
      I hope you are right in that it is a once in a lifetime event, but I fear its not.

The one time transfer rule was discussed prior to the covid situation and seems to be a fait accompli.

ALL 2020-21 players get an extra year of eligibility, not just the seniors.

I think we are looking at the new normal, and that's not even factoring in the slippery slope college sports are headed down which will ultimately lead to players being paid.

'Watcher used the word "messy" to describe what the offseason will like in college hockey. I think he was kind. When all is said and done in a few months the entire college hockey universe is going to need to take a long shower.

At one point the NCAA tried to protect its teams from the so-called "tramp athlete." Unfortunately given the times we live in, it finds it necessary to cater to the whiner athlete.

P.S. I want to see the entire program rebuilt not a single team built, though I do concede that the latter may be a step to the prior.
      Fantastic post, Felgie.

Can you imagine what a launching pad these next few years of the transfer portal/extra year of eligibility could have been for UNH Hockey, had MS7 and his guys actually made some progress under the "old" system these last few seasons in charge?

No positive momentum, only negative momentum, and no more "new car smell". 0 for 3.

These guys are going to either have to become next-level recruiters - selling those proverbial iceboxes to Eskimos - or they're going to have to coach/instruct their posteriors off. Possibly both. Throw in some retroactive financial aid while we're at it.

I'm at the point where I'd prefer to see Umile, McCloskey and Lassonde back behind the UNH bench, in real time, despite all of the real-life reasons they've all since moved on.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Hi all -
        As part of a recent group purchase of game worn hockey jerseys, I received a Max Gildon USA Under 17 home/white jersey from the 2015-16 season. Since I'm a Michigan Tech guy, I'm just going to sell it or trade it away, but I figured I would post it here to see if would be of interest to anyone. I'll sell it for $175 OBO including shipping within the US, or I would be willing to trade it for a UNH game worn jersey. Below is a game image of the jersey, but feel free to email me (info@johnsonsjerseys.net) and I can send you photos of the actual jersey as well. Jersey comes with USA Hockey letter of authenticity.

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          Max Gildon USA Under 17 home/white jersey
          Thanks to those that reached out, the Gildon jersey is sold.
          I do have some nice vintage UNH game worn jerseys as well and I'm always open to trading for newer styles. You can view them at the link below.
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net/hockey/ncaa/he/
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

There are teams who will make out like bandits in the transfer market and I’m skeptical UNH will be one of them. This is a once in a lifetime (coach’s career) opportunity for a rebuild...

Also Maass is in the portal, so he’ll play college hockey next year, but not in Durham.
            Sato and Nagle too. No sign of Kelleher, Macadams or Grasso in the portal. Kelleher must be signing overseas, but are Macadams/ Grasso staying?
            For the "rebuild" I'm not sure a one-year rental does more than make us a bit better next year. Let's say the choice is one year of Ryan Barrow or Grasso/Macadams on RW, or being able to offer Ellis Rickwood a chance to attend school with his sister for a year? Long term, the Rickwood offer would help UNH on the RW, more than a single year of Barrow/Grasso/Macadams.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports...chl-1.24302910

Does Souza have enough guts to finally rebuild by a choice that leaves us less well off in the short term, but better 3 years down the road? I'd be a contrarian and use the portal flood on other rosters by scooping up higher upside younger players now that the top to middle schools are overfilled rather that an older one-year stopgap.

Sr.Ward----------Sr.Pierson--------[Grasso/Macadmas/Barrow]
            Sr.Stevenson----Sr.Engaras-------So.Gendron
            So.Cafarelli------So.Hermann------Fr.Cronin
            Fr.Margel--------Fr.Rickwood-------Fr.Evans
            So.Richels-------Sr.Cipollone-------Sr.Esposito
            Fr.Ring----------Fr.Sweeney--------Jr.Hankinson

Jr.Eriksson--------So.Reid
            Sr.McKinnon------Fr.Gagne
            Fr.Ardanaz--------Sr.Verrier
            Fr.Huard----------So.Jenson
            Sr.Semandel------Sr.Hickey

[[Jr.Neaton]]--------Fr.Baliotti-------So.Forman
            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-06-2021, 08:05 AM.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

There will be more transfers in the future than their have been in the past - but I see this year as a one time opportunity due to the sheer number of players in the portal due to the initial back up of COVID. Moving forward team's will have much more time to plan ahead as far as scheduling recruits for arrival and expectations for players to depart...

Certainly, UNH isn't in position for one player to change their fortunes next season or long term - but perception is reality and the perception of UNH effects recruiting. For UNH to take advantage of this season's transfer rush, they'd need to do something more drastic than simply add a goalie and a forward. Whether they would or should do that is a debate for another day - but some team's will chase this strategy.

UVM has 11 players transferring out and has already added three nice upgrades defensively. St. Thomas has the potential to build an immediately competitive roster. In each instance, a short-term perception of success could be a catalyst for long-term recruiting success (UNH could use the boost!)...

I don't look at UNH's long-term recruiting spreadsheet and think a player like Rickwood turns a program around either. I'd love to have him, but is Evans/Rickwood (and the rest) any different from Poturalski/Kelleher (and the rest)? Is the latter even as good as that former? That's why I sometimes wonder about a more dramatic rebuild. Its unfortunate, but it seems necessary, I hate to say. Unfortunately, its also unlikely...

Watcher spoke a lot about Souza, when hired, and a quick strike rebuild/recruiting flourish to change momentum and grow a program. This is that opportunity all over again - but, certainly, it would need to start with more transfers out. To answer Ref's question - UNH can't have the money to make a big splash as currently constructed...
              Last edited by Dan; 04-06-2021, 02:40 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                Does Souza have enough guts to finally rebuild by a choice that leaves us less well off in the short term, but better 3 years down the road? I'd be a contrarian and use the portal flood on other rosters by scooping up higher upside younger players now that the top to middle schools are overfilled rather that an older one-year stopgap.
                I'm not sure that's going to be the case - most of this year's transfers are just a different type of one-year prospect than the elite 18 year olds. They shouldn't prevent the larger programs from scooping up the top young prospects. The other opportunity THIS season certainly could be to grab any deferred prospects that might be asked to play another season of juniors...

I know neither of us likes the idea of encouraging transfers out or thinning the existing recruiting classes - but that's the type of dramatic action I think it will take to jumpstart any sort of immediate rebuild. The likely reality is they just roll with what they have, kick the can to the 2004/05 birth years and hope that (this time) they'll get initial recruiting done right. And that, unfortunately, is a VERY longterm rebuild...

That would really test my patience, which is why each year I'm more open to UNH behaving like so many other programs have long behaved...
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

I'm not sure that's going to be the case - most of this year's transfers are just a different type of one-year prospect than the elite 18 year olds. They shouldn't prevent the larger programs from scooping up the top young prospects. The other opportunity THIS season certainly could be to grab any deferred prospects that might be asked to play another season of juniors...

I know neither of us likes the idea of encouraging transfers out or thinning the existing recruiting classes - but that's the type of dramatic action I think it will take to jumpstart any sort of immediate rebuild. The likely reality is they just roll with what they have, kick the can to the 2004/05 birth years and hope that (this time) they'll get initial recruiting done right. And that, unfortunately, is a VERY longterm rebuild...

That would really test my patience, which is why each year I'm more open to UNH behaving like so many other programs have long behaved...
                  The longer the rebuild languishes in its current mediocrity, the harder the jump-start becomes.

This offseason is definitely the last, best opportunity MS7 and staff will get at turning the ship around.

I truly hope he realizes this. It's basically been 6 years now, and signs of progress are few (if any).

Perception is reality, especially in the D-1 recruiting world. If you're a dog, you'll attract dogs ...

Comment

Barrow is returning to Denver, but Pioneer captain Kohen Olischefski has entered the portal - he'd be a perfect fit on that top line RW; I don't feel he was ever put in a position to maximize his offensive potential at DU...

Minnesota goaltender Jared Moe is heading to Wisconsin, so that's one less option in the crease.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

It will be interesting to see where guys like Maass and Sato end up next season. I believe Maass was a low round NHL draft pick (WASH?) and showed some Brett Pesce-like potential early in his NHL career, but over the last season or two, his game has devolved into something closer to Joe Pesci. Maybe he'll want to finish up his D-1 career closer to home in Minnesota, but I can't see a huge demand for a 5th year 3rd pairing guy from any of those schools. Or maybe Borek had a hand in bringing Maass to Durham, and he could shore things up for Merrimack for a season?

Sato, I have no clue what his prospects might be? He's an interesting spare part for a strong program on the lookout for a strong skater who (except for a couple of months in his junior year) really has no offensive skills to offer. He did show some versatility in playing on the backline a few times in a pinch, so maybe that's his calling card? I can see him surfacing somewhere else in Hockey East or the ECAC.

Hoping MacAdams returns next season, he's someone who always looked to be playing like he cared.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        It will be interesting to see where guys like Maass and Sato end up next season. I believe Maass was a low round NHL draft pick (WASH?) and showed some Brett Pesce-like potential early in his NHL career, but over the last season or two, his game has devolved into something closer to Joe Pesci. Maybe he'll want to finish up his D-1 career closer to home in Minnesota, but I can't see a huge demand for a 5th year 3rd pairing guy from any of those schools. Or maybe Borek had a hand in bringing Maass to Durham, and he could shore things up for Merrimack for a season?

Sato, I have no clue what his prospects might be? He's an interesting spare part for a strong program on the lookout for a strong skater who (except for a couple of months in his junior year) really has no offensive skills to offer. He did show some versatility in playing on the backline a few times in a pinch, so maybe that's his calling card? I can see him surfacing somewhere else in Hockey East or the ECAC.

Hoping MacAdams returns next season, he's someone who always looked to be playing like he cared.
                        Mark Divver @MarkDivver
                        UNH F Kohei Sato to Bentley as grad transfer
                        1:34 PM ? Apr 7, 2021?

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post

Mark Divver @MarkDivver
                          Snively! Well there you go....
                          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                            Mark Divver @MarkDivver
                            From one mediocre D-1 hockey program to another, just a little bit further down the food chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

From one mediocre D-1 hockey program to another, just a little bit further down the food chain.
                              I would take Harrison Blaisdell. Lost on the North Dakota depth chart, but a big prospect (and Chuck will love him because his dad was a Red Wing first rounder in 1980)
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Snively! Well there you go....
                                Apparently two or three of Bentley’s top goal scorers in the portal, so Sato will have plenty opportunity, but on a small sheet.

Comment

Working...
                                X