UNH 2021 Off-Season Thread: Finally!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    I would take Harrison Blaisdell. Lost on the North Dakota depth chart, but a big prospect (and Chuck will love him because his dad was a Red Wing first rounder in 1980)
    Mike Blaisdell, another in a long line of horrific Dead Wings draft picks back around that time. IIRC he put up an obscene amount of goals in his final year in Juniors, had a decent year or two in Detroit, but never lived up to that big year in Regina, got traded to the Rangers (the Wings and Rangers swapped a lot of mediocre players back and forth in that era), and spent most of the decade shuttling between the NHL and the AHL. I think "love" is a little bit over the top, 'Watcher, but I always appreciate the effort to dredge up these obscure links to the Dead Wings' heyday. :-)

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I like the Chilliwack Chief connection more...
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Back when the UNH braintrust was finalizing the post Umile plans, a hockey insider said "take a look at Carvel, you cant go wrong". So MS dutifully did go and check out Carvel, but was told that all he could get was the Cookie Puss, so that is what he chose. Looks like UMass did a bit more homework on the available Carvel choices. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Whalers View Post
          Back when the UNH braintrust was finalizing the post Umile plans, a hockey insider said "take a look at Carvel, you cant go wrong". So MS dutifully did go and check out Carvel, but was told that all he could get was the Cookie Puss, so that is what he chose. Looks like UMass did a bit more homework on the available Carvel choices. :-)
          Personally, back in the day, I was a big fan of Fudgy the Whale myself ... :-)

Yep folks, it's gonna happen (again) ... another HEA team is gonna get to the Promised Land this weekend before Your UNH Wildcats. Looking back at the history of the league dating back to 1985, there was never really going to be an issue with BU or BC getting there (although we sure did have fun for the better part of a couple of decades with the inevitable wait for the latter), they've always been the "lead dogs" in this thing. UMaine was the first dark horse to get there, pipping even BC to the D-1 title (not counting the '49 BC title with wooden pucks, etc.) and doing it twice* (or once, depending on your views on retroactive financial aid, etc.).

In the days of the then so-called "Big Four", that only left UNH out of the party, and we had a few close calls, but it just never happened. As UNH gradually faded into their current state of oblivion, UMass Lowell moved up and almost made it happen, and then PC DID make it happen that one time where the BU goalie helpfully threw the puck into his own net late in the game, and since then UMass Amherst has been the latest to be nipping at the big title (they'll win it tomorrow night). Northeastern may have their day in the near future, if Keefe keeps the talent flowing for Coach Madigan.

Whither UNH? With the meteoric and unexpected rise of UMass under Coach Carvel, the list of non-winners starts at UNH, goes through Lowell on down to Northeastern, and then there's UConn, UVM (came close once in the ECAC) and Merrimack.

BU had Coach Parker (HoF), BC has Coach York (HoF) and UMaine had Walshy (my HoF). Leaman and Carvel are the "new" hotshots in the league, while Coach Bazin has probably done more with less than any coach in league history. It seems like there's a template for how to make this all work, but about half the league seems blissfully ignorant of the template, and the results they've experienced reflect that ignorance.

I'll confess, it used to bother me when other schools "trumped" UNH to the D-1 title, especially Yale and Union, and the way Providence won it still rankles me a bit. But it eventually dawned on me that those programs were "guilty" of finding a way to win, and in the end, isn't that what everyone is shooting for anyway? So good for them, good luck to UMass Amherst (or even St. Cloud, who used to be termed "The UNH of the West" due to their post-season gaffes), I bear no animosity or jealousy.

And to the folks in charge at UNH ... get yer fecking fat arses in gear, and start actually doing smart things to get back to the upper tier of D-1 hockey. Or get out of the way, and let someone else do it.

Comment

RIP Red Gendron.
            GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
              RIP Red Gendron.
              Just saw that on the UMaine thread, just ... wow, after all of the discussion about his future with the program, this happens while he's chilling with pals on the golf course. Just speculating, but you have to think stress over his uncertain status next season didn't help things? It's easy for me to forget sometimes, these are real people, living very real lives. Just so, so sad.

It was only a few years ago when I was screwing around with a silly "Souza Dick & Stu" offseason bit, based on an imaginary golf event at Mount Hood GC in Coach Umile's hometown. These guys all play hard during the highly competitive D-1 hockey season, golf in the offseason is supposed to be a time to relax and let your hair down with buddies. And then this happens.

Godspeed to Red and condolences to the Gendron family.

Comment

This is stunning to the point it’s not believable. My dad and uncle grew up with him so games at the Whit I’d look for him in the stands to talk. I remember back when he was a video coach for the Devils and won the Cup his day was back in Berlin with a major event. This is beyond sad

Comment

Originally posted by norbert View Post
                  This is stunning to the point it’s not believable. My dad and uncle grew up with him so games at the Whit I’d look for him in the stands to talk. I remember back when he was a video coach for the Devils and won the Cup his day was back in Berlin with a major event. This is beyond sad
                  I know a couple of people who knew Red from his Berlin days...they are devastated. Very sad indeed and way too soon.
                  I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...nt-Runner-.php

Nice coaching tree.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Personally, back in the day, I was a big fan of Fudgy the Whale myself ... :-)

Yep folks, it's gonna happen (again) ... another HEA team is gonna get to the Promised Land this weekend before Your UNH Wildcats. Looking back at the history of the league dating back to 1985, there was never really going to be an issue with BU or BC getting there (although we sure did have fun for the better part of a couple of decades with the inevitable wait for the latter), they've always been the "lead dogs" in this thing. UMaine was the first dark horse to get there, pipping even BC to the D-1 title (not counting the '49 BC title with wooden pucks, etc.) and doing it twice* (or once, depending on your views on retroactive financial aid, etc.).

In the days of the then so-called "Big Four", that only left UNH out of the party, and we had a few close calls, but it just never happened. As UNH gradually faded into their current state of oblivion, UMass Lowell moved up and almost made it happen, and then PC DID make it happen that one time where the BU goalie helpfully threw the puck into his own net late in the game, and since then UMass Amherst has been the latest to be nipping at the big title (they'll win it tomorrow night). Northeastern may have their day in the near future, if Keefe keeps the talent flowing for Coach Madigan.

Whither UNH? With the meteoric and unexpected rise of UMass under Coach Carvel, the list of non-winners starts at UNH, goes through Lowell on down to Northeastern, and then there's UConn, UVM (came close once in the ECAC) and Merrimack.

BU had Coach Parker (HoF), BC has Coach York (HoF) and UMaine had Walshy (my HoF). Leaman and Carvel are the "new" hotshots in the league, while Coach Bazin has probably done more with less than any coach in league history. It seems like there's a template for how to make this all work, but about half the league seems blissfully ignorant of the template, and the results they've experienced reflect that ignorance.

I'll confess, it used to bother me when other schools "trumped" UNH to the D-1 title, especially Yale and Union, and the way Providence won it still rankles me a bit. But it eventually dawned on me that those programs were "guilty" of finding a way to win, and in the end, isn't that what everyone is shooting for anyway? So good for them, good luck to UMass Amherst (or even St. Cloud, who used to be termed "The UNH of the West" due to their post-season gaffes), I bear no animosity or jealousy.

And to the folks in charge at UNH ... get yer fecking fat arses in gear, and start actually doing smart things to get back to the upper tier of D-1 hockey. Or get out of the way, and let someone else do it.
                      My recollection is that Umile leveraged an offer from UMass after the 1999-2000 season to stay longgggg-term at UNH. Toot Cahoon had only moderate success over his 12 seasons at UMass, but what might have been?

I would be fine with a NC to another HEA school tonight, especially after UMass came close two years ago.

Comment

So wait... Paying for a coach and good assistants then giving a travel budget to go find talent works... Shocking
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                          So wait... Paying for a coach and good assistants then giving a travel budget to go find talent works... Shocking
                          Yes, this has to sting for Marty S. The year after Umile told Marty to pluck his guy, U.Mass took the bold move of hiring someone who had actually been a head coach anywhere. Or even someone who had been an assistant at a top 50 program. But I'm sure U.Mass won't last. After all, their arena was built in 1993, and doesn't have a jumbletron. Plus it is 200X 95, not 90, so they can't get good players who want NHL rinks.

Happy for Hockey East, and glad to have a program UNH can see about how to build. I hope UNH defense develops like the U.Mass one, to add to offense even if there are no big horses up front. And the UNH forward see how to battle for pucks, nut primarily using the body, but using the stick and being strong on the puck.

Let's see where Barr goes, or if he waits to see if Carvel leaves for the NHL.

I think Barr has now won the NCAAs at Union, Providence and U.Mass. Too bad he didn't go to UNH, or be willing to humor Dick's quest for 3 years, so wasn't eligible for the job here.
                          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-10-2021, 09:08 PM.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Yes, this has to sting for Marty S. The year after Umile told Marty to pluck his guy, U.Mass took the bold move of hiring someone who had actually been a head coach anywhere. Or even someone who had been an assistant at a top 50 program. But I'm sure U.Mass won't last. After all, their arena was built in 1993, and doesn't have a jumbletron. Plus it is 200X 95, not 90, so they can't get good players who want NHL rinks.

Happy for Hockey East, and glad to have a program UNH can see about how to build. I hope UNH defense develops like the U.Mass one, to add to offense even if there are no big horses up front. And the UNH forward see how to battle for pucks, nut primarily using the body, but using the stick and being strong on the puck.

Let's see where Barr goes, or if he waits to see if Carvel leaves for the NHL.

I think Barr has now won the NCAAs at Union, Providence and U.Mass. Too bad he didn't go to UNH, or hang with Dick, so wasn't eligible for the job here.
                            After what happened yesterday wouldn’t be surprising to see Barr gone sooner rather than later.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I think one of the big things Greg Carvel did when he came to UMass (and this was widely known) that he was to bring his guys, set things up his way and Bamford ran with it. He had a culture in mind for the school and in 5 years, he's hoisting the much alluded hardware. And kudos to them for doing so! They are a highly skilled team with a ton of depth, strong everywhere and they do not give up. Throw in the hard nosed coaching and welp you've gotta NC! I am very happy for HE but of course I'm also thinking about, well, you know, how much we'd all love to see UNH in this same position.

Argh, the off season has officially started!

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

After what happened yesterday wouldn’t be surprising to see Barr gone sooner rather than later.
                                Drew, am so sorry for the loss of your coach...I had to tell a very good friend of his that works in my school system who had not heard. It was very, very hard thinking of Maine fans!

Comment

Working...
                                X