Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2021 Off-Season Thread: Finally!?!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cooper Pierson, brother of UNH's Jackson, made the USA Under 17 team that will play overseas this August.


    Snark: I guess that may not be relevant to UNH, since none of the siblings of their players choose to go to UNH.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 07-13-2021, 02:37 PM.
    The Umile legacy:
    14-15 8th place,
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place

    Comment


    • Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      Cooper Pierson, brother of UNH's Jackson, made the USA Under 17 team that will play overseas this August.


      Snark: I guess that may not be relevant to UNH, since none of the siblings of their players choose to go to UNH.
      You beat me to it 'Watcher...was just going to post this. Well, remains to be seen but you are probably right...
      Let's Go SouzaCats!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

        You beat me to it 'Watcher...was just going to post this. Well, remains to be seen but you are probably right...
        Between Scott Morrow (twice), Michael Gildon, Trey Taylor and Rickwood there would be a pretty nice team in 2022-23. Sadly, the UNH connection doesn't seem as strong as it was in the past, where you could bet on players talking up UNH to their peers: Hemingway II, Saviano/Collins, Yandle, Krog/Martz, Downing/Cam Reid.
        The Umile legacy:
        14-15 8th place,
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place

        Comment


        • Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          Cooper Pierson, brother of UNH's Jackson, made the USA Under 17 team that will play overseas this August.


          Snark: I guess that may not be relevant to UNH, since none of the siblings of their players choose to go to UNH.
          The siblings thing is a relatively new phenomenon, isn't it? MS7's predecessor had a flock of van Riemsdyks and a pair of Haydars, just off the cuff. It's the next gen thing where traction is missing ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

          Comment


          • maineiac it looks like March 28, 2009
            thank you for checking!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

              The siblings thing is a relatively new phenomenon, isn't it? MS7's predecessor had a flock of van Riemsdyks and a pair of Haydars, just off the cuff. It's the next gen thing where traction is missing ...
              And, a pair of Y2K's.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                maineiac it looks like March 28, 2009
                thank you for checking!
                Got it. I sent you an email through your photo website.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by maineiac View Post

                  Got it. I sent you an email through your photo website.
                  Thank you so much!!
                  Now all I need to do is find a cat head patch to go with it and it'll be ready to put together (by a professional of course)!

                  Comment


                  • Moments that make you feel very old ... anyway, I know this is a day (week?) late and a dollar short, but something drew me to watch the "Midsummer Classic" a/k/a the All-Star Game last week. Watching Vlad Guerrero Jr. earn the game's MVP after a moonshot home run brought me WAY back to something I probably posted about on here back in the glory days circa 2002, when after a late season victory, I was loitering around the bowels of Stade Olympique in Montreal after the game on my way to the underground parking garage, readying for my long return drive home. I was heading down a set of stairs, when coming in the opposite direction from an unmarked one-way door was a semi-familiar athletic-looking guy heading up the same stairs. I had no idea who the guy was, until I heard voices from further up the stairway, calling out in Spanish to this person, "Wilton!" Then it all clicked, and I glanced up a couple of flights to the landing above where I'd entered the stairwell, and sure enough it was Wilton Guerrero's younger brother Vlad, their mom, and a young toddler all awaiting the arrival of Uncle Wilton, who was a utility infielder and midseason trade acquisition by the 'Spos in 2002. I just waved briefly at them all, continued on my way (not wanting to disrupt the notoriously private Vlad Sr. in the presence of his family), and filed the experience down as a fun brush with a major league hero in a place where light security let these things happen.

                    Now almost 20 years later, the toddler who was clutching onto his dad's and grandma's legs is all grown up, belting 500 foot homers like his dad, and making me feel VERY old. And listening to the broadcasters talking about how Junior's grandmom did all the cooking for him, brought me back to the tales of when she set up house with Vlad Senior in Montreal for pretty much the duration of his stay up there (1997-2003) to allow him to have a sense of home so far away from the Dominican.

                    It also reminded me that the game I'm recalling from the 2002 season was indeed the season finale, when Montreal beat the Reds (I think?) but the main draw of the game was to see if Vlad Sr. could make it to the exclusive 40 HR/40 SB "club". He'd reached 40 steals a game or two earlier, and on either his last AB or next-to-last AB on this season-finale occasion, Vlad hit a rocket to the right center field wall, which hit towards the bottom of the wall. It turned out that Vlad (who had hit 40 HR's at least twice before) never came close to 40 SB's ever again - the notorious turf in Montreal had taken its toll on his knees - and was pretty much at his peak then. In the 40/40 club at the time were Jose Canseco, Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez, and with the devaluation of SB's in modern-day baseball, future membership will probably be pretty limited as well.

                    ---------------

                    In other news, I read that the Flyers chose not to protect JvR from the upcoming expansion draft, instead opting to protect some fourth line forward instead. I'm sure they're gambling on Seattle not spunking the $7MM salary for two seasons, but there were other expensive guys Philly chose to protect ...

                    In a surprise, Flyers' protection list includes Nic Aube-Kubel instead of James van Riemsdyk | Professional | pressofatlanticcity.com
                    Last edited by Chuck Murray; 07-19-2021, 09:13 AM.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Moments that make you feel very old ... anyway, I know this is a day (week?) late and a dollar short, but something drew me to watch the "Midsummer Classic" a/k/a the All-Star Game last week. Watching Vlad Guerrero Jr. earn the game's MVP after a moonshot home run brought me WAY back to something I probably posted about on here back in the glory days circa 2002, when after a late season victory, I was loitering around the bowels of Stade Olympique in Montreal after the game on my way to the underground parking garage, readying for my long return drive home. I was heading down a set of stairs, when coming in the opposite direction from an unmarked one-way door was a semi-familiar athletic-looking guy heading up the same stairs. I had no idea who the guy was, until I heard voices from further up the stairway, calling out in Spanish to this person, "Wilton!" Then it all clicked, and I glanced up a couple of flights to the landing above where I'd entered the stairwell, and sure enough it was Wilton Guerrero's younger brother Vlad, their mom, and a young toddler all awaiting the arrival of Uncle Wilton, who was a utility infielder and midseason trade acquisition by the 'Spos in 2002. I just waved briefly at them all, continued on my way (not wanting to disrupt the notoriously private Vlad Sr. in the presence of his family), and filed the experience down as a fun brush with a major league hero in a place where light security let these things happen.

                      Now almost 20 years later, the toddler who was clutching onto his dad's and grandma's legs is all grown up, belting 500 foot homers like his dad, and making me feel VERY old. And listening to the broadcasters talking about how Junior's grandmom did all the cooking for him, brought me back to the tales of when she set up house with Vlad Senior in Montreal for pretty much the duration of his stay up there (1997-2003) to allow him to have a sense of home so far away from the Dominican.

                      It also reminded me that the game I'm recalling from the 2002 season was indeed the season finale, when Montreal beat the Reds (I think?) but the main draw of the game was to see if Vlad Sr. could make it to the exclusive 40 HR/40 SB "club". He'd reached 40 steals a game or two earlier, and on either his last AB or next-to-last AB on this season-finale occasion, Vlad hit a rocket to the right center field wall, which hit towards the bottom of the wall. It turned out that Vlad (who had hit 40 HR's at least twice before) never came close to 40 SB's ever again - the notorious turf in Montreal had taken its toll on his knees - and was pretty much at his peak then. In the 40/40 club at the time were Jose Canseco, Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez, and with the devaluation of SB's in modern-day baseball, future membership will probably be pretty limited as well.

                      ---------------

                      In other news, I read that the Flyers chose not to protect JvR from the upcoming expansion draft, instead opting to protect some fourth line forward instead. I'm sure they're gambling on Seattle not spunking the $7MM salary for two seasons, but there were other expensive guys Philly chose to protect ...

                      In a surprise, Flyers' protection list includes Nic Aube-Kubel instead of James van Riemsdyk | Professional | pressofatlanticcity.com
                      Good story. There has been only one more 40-40 MLB player; surprised that you did not make that into a quiz for a pint at Libby's. :-)

                      Latest that I heard is that the Kraken may spring of lot of their salary cap to pick up Carey Price's pricy contract, so maybe the Kraken will be unwilling to pick up JvR's last two years also?
                      Last edited by Snively65; 07-19-2021, 09:01 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Latest that I heard is that the Kraken may spring of lot of their salary cap to pick up Carey Price's pricy contract, so maybe the Kraken will be unwilling to pick up JvR's last two years also?
                        I would pick up Price in a heartbeat if I were Seattle. There are a lot of teams out there gambling with some of their higher priced players being available, including Montreal. Youppi! must be disgusted about the possibility of losing Price to expansion.

                        I looked at the Red Wings' list of unprotected players yesterday, and I doubt even MS7 would be interested in taking half of them. Then again, last time around DRW lost Tomas Nosek to Vegas, and even if he had done diddly-squat for Detroit at that point (I shrugged) ... he's turned into a pretty serviceable 4th line/depth player in Vegas for the last few years. It must be a great advantage for expansion teams to have a full year to do all the scouting (and scouring) needed to make the right picks. Vegas obviously did a fantastic job, it's hard to believe Seattle will do as well as they did, but it's nice to see the NHL at least giving its new teams a fighting chance right out of the gate, and not dooming them to a decade or so of mediocrity to get up to speed, as usually seems to be the case with expansion elsewhere (and previously in the NHL too).
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

                        Comment


                        • Severe Congatulations
                          DURHAM, N.H. – Eight members of the 2020-21 University of New Hampshire men's hockey team have been named Krampade All-American Scholars by the American Hockey Coaches Association (AHCA).

                          Benton Maass (Elk River, Minn.) is recognized for the third time in his career, while Angus Crookshank (North Vancouver, British Columbia), Jeremy Forman (Northbrook, Ill.), Drew Hickey (New Canaan, Conn.), Will MacKinnon (Plymouth, Mich.), Jackson Pierson (Zionsville, Ind.), Chase Stevenson (West Kelowna, British Columbia) and Ryan Verrier (Reading, Mass.) earn this honor for the first time.

                          To qualify, a student-athlete must have attained a 3.60 GPA for each semester.
                          The Umile legacy:
                          14-15 8th place,
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place

                          Comment


                          • I'd expect UNH 2022 recruit Sardaryan to be picked in the late 3rd or 4th round, and Alex Gagne to be picked in 6th round of today's draft.
                            The Umile legacy:
                            14-15 8th place,
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place

                            Comment


                            • Posted July 22nd:
                              "Will UNH Commit(s) Be Selected in 2021 NHL Entry Draft?"
                              Under consideration - Stiven Sardaryan, Alex Gagne, Damien Carfagna, & Jed Baliotti
                              https://twitter.com/UNHHockeyBlog/st...763750407?s=20

                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                                I'd expect UNH 2022 recruit Sardaryan to be picked in the late 3rd or 4th round, and Alex Gagne to be picked in 6th round of today's draft.
                                Sardaryan goes to Buffalo with the 24th pick in round three...

                                Gagne is the final pick of the 6th to Tampa Bay, who also select Flinton’s son in the 7th.
                                Last edited by Dan; 07-24-2021, 04:59 PM.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X