Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
    Good news, bad news. Recruit Max Namestnikov selected 3rd overall by Sarnia in today's OHL draft, so he's a darn good player. Bad news is Sarnia wouldn't have selected him so high if they didn't think he'll eventually roster with them.
    Yep that is the usual "rub".

Also on the bad news front, though not unexpected, work on the rink improvements is suspended, and won't be completed for a 2020-21 season, if indeed there is a 2020-21 season.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
      I'm not saying you're wrong and I won't be surprised if Latsch signs either, particularly since he's in our own backyard. And as you say, we desperately need to fill vacant F spots and Cole doesn't have too many options at this point. I'm just saying that Latsch's stats as compared to Nodler's last USHL season are underwhelming. If that's because Latsch has been relegated to the 4th line by the NTDP coach through no fault of his own, that will remain to be seen. Obviously the Badgers took a hard pass or vice versa.
      Further to this, the other day Tanner Latsch was selected in Round 1, #4 overall by Des Moines so that indicates while USHL coaches/scouts think he's got promise, the consensus is he needs another season of juniors development.

Comment

Losing a couple top 2021 commits to the OHL is disappointing. When you go after the best you are going to lose a few.

Interestingly, no official announcement of spring signings. We have space for another 1 or 2 if Cole wants to fill them now. Could there be someone else they are waiting on? (Maybe transfer waiting on NCAA to decide if it will grant immediate playing time.)

With construction now allowed to resume, I don’t see why most of Munn renovations can’t be done by January, which might be when the season starts.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
          Losing a couple top 2021 commits to the OHL is disappointing. When you go after the best you are going to lose a few.

Interestingly, no official announcement of spring signings. We have space for another 1 or 2 if Cole wants to fill them now. Could there be someone else they are waiting on? (Maybe transfer waiting on NCAA to decide if it will grant immediate playing time.)

With construction now allowed to resume, I don’t see why most of Munn renovations can’t be done by January, which might be when the season starts.
          Hell, I’d say keep the scholarships for now if you can’t grab the talent for this year. We have guys sitting out every night already. We’ve seen for too many years what a lack of talent does for offense so no use in taking guys just to fill space for 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
            Hell, I’d say keep the scholarships for now if you can’t grab the talent for this year. We have guys sitting out every night already. We’ve seen for too many years what a lack of talent does for offense so no use in taking guys just to fill space for 4 years.
            Assuming scholarships are available I wouldn’t give to anyone unlikely to immediately contribute. Not to a practice player, but for a good goalscoring transfer (like Combs) I would.

Comment

https://bigten.org/news/2020/5/11/me...announced.aspx

State racked up all-conference selections with four of the 12 first and second team spots, most of any team.

1st team: Khodorenko
              2nd team: Cesana, Rosburg, and Lethemon

Lewandowski also got honorable mention.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                https://bigten.org/news/2020/5/11/me...announced.aspx

State racked up all-conference selections with four of the 12 first and second team spots, most of any team.

1st team: Khodorenko
                2nd team: Cesana, Rosburg, and Lethemon

Lewandowski also got honorable mention.
                On the one hand, this speaks well of Cole's player development, although it begs the question of why this cast didn't translate into more wins. On the other hand, the coaches need to continue this development trajectory as no players were selected to the All-Rookie team.

On an unrelated subject, recruit Cam Knuble was just drafted in the NAHL's supplemental draft, so he seems to be going backwards. He'll need to have a strong season in order to make it to campus in 2021-22.

Comment

Reported yesterday the addition is on hold along with moving locker rooms for the upcoming season. Cole also said the team is likely to bus rather than fly to more away games. Personally, I don’t expect hockey this fall. Could be a year where all fall and winter sports play in the late winter and spring. With football talking about a March-May schedule I could see hockey And basketball being February-May.

Comment

Cole announces 6 more to the incoming class, all of which were previously announced/known or recruits. The only recruit not previously announced for this season is Powell Connor, but he seemed to be the most ready of the dmen recruits, and we of course had a spot.

Comment

Link to article. https://msuspartans.com/news/2020/5/...ing-class.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                        Cole announces 6 more to the incoming class, all of which were previously announced/known or recruits. The only recruit not previously announced for this season is Powell Connor, but he seemed to be the most ready of the dmen recruits, and we of course had a spot.
                        Seems a solid class to me, particularly on D. Offensively, decent production but nothing suggesting we’ll be done with our scoring woes next season.

Not to be a negative nelly, but in the event there is no season, what happens with eligibility? Or do we think there will be a season come hell or high water? People have their sights set on football season and stadium crowds but it’s the basketball/hockey enclosed spaces crowds that have me concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                          Seems a solid class to me, particularly on D. Offensively, decent production but nothing suggesting we’ll be done with our scoring woes next season.

Not to be a negative nelly, but in the event there is no season, what happens with eligibility? Or do we think there will be a season come hell or high water? People have their sights set on football season and stadium crowds but it’s the basketball/hockey enclosed spaces crowds that have me concerned.
                          I agree with your assessment of the class. I like the depth at D as we are likely to lose more than just Miller at the end of the season.

As far as hockey season...If it starts in October I doubt fans will be there other than pay to view. If there is a vaccine in January I could see a Feb-May season with fans present in some form. If it doesn't happen at all the question would be how many would want to stay an extra year for graduate studies even though they would still have eligibility. If I had to bet I’d bet on a shortened season starting late, possibly not until spring.

Comment

• Biked over to campus today. Munn addition looks like it will be an attractive addition when finished. No one working there today, hopefully it was just a weekend off. I’d add a photo, but that doesn’t appear to be possible.

Comment

• Dave Carrier retires after 35 years as trainer.

https://msuspartans.com/news/2020/6/...to-retire.aspx

Comment

Working...
                              X