Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
    We decided to buy the Sunday game, and I suppose that decision was strategic. If they make it to Sunday, then they will have done something rare in the last bucket of seasons: win a post-season game! and the excitement builds to a fever-pitch. If the series doesn't make it to Sunday, c'est la vie. Either MSU did the unthinkable, or I can start musing about next season. Either way, the last two possibilities end in a refund.
    Looks like you'll get the refund.

The plus side is there are no expectations at this point. The last playoff win came in 2013 in the final year of the CCHA in Game 1 of the quarters against Miami. The last series win came that same year at Alaska in the first round.

Three years under Cole

Record:
    Year 1: 12-22-2
    Year 2: 12-19-5
    Year 3: 15-19-2

Goals scored:
    Year 1: 91, 2.53 average
    Year 2: 99, 2.75 average
    Year 3: 80, 2.22 average

Goals against:
    Year 1: 117, 3.25
    Year 2: 122, 3.39
    Year 3: 88, 2.44

Shots: (I don't know how much this actually factors into improvement or not)
    Year 1: Average of 26.14 for a game, 30.36 against.
    Year 2: 28.39 for, 34.67 against
    Year 3: 28.14 for, 32.67 against

PK %:
    Year 1: 93/125, 71%
    Year 2: 114/148, 77%
    Year 3: 103/127, 81%

PP %
    Year 1: 25/131, 19%
    Year 2: 28/122, 23%
    Year 3: 17/98, 17%

Looking at this on a very macro level, there has been improvement defensively. PK has improved 10 points since year 1, which is about 12-13 fewer goals a year. Now, how much of that is due to scheming and skater improvement, and how much is due to Lethemon stepping up is hard to say.

Clearly the offense took a step back, but that's almost entirely attributable to the second half the year. Counting the GLI, we were averaging 2.6 goals in the first half, which essentially splits the difference of Years 1 and 2, not bad considering Hirose left. Actually, that's a totally unexpected mark and I would consider it a positive: a fairly anemic offense staying consistent after the NCAA's leading scorer leaves is an achievement. That's what makes the second half of the season so tough to swallow. 1.75 a game average, shut out four times, only scored multiple goals in 7 of 16 games. If this team had averaged even a little over 2 goals post-GLI, there's probably a banner going up and a single elimination game at Munn next weekend.

Roster is going to look a lot different next year, and a number of guys who played major roles will be gone. Khodorenko, Rosburg, Lambdin, and Saliba were four of the top six scorers, accounting for 40% of total points, and obviously Lethemon was the foundation for much of the year.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Seniors go out with: 0 GLI championships, 0 Big Ten regular season championships, 0 Big Ten playoff championships, and 0 NCAA tournament appearances. I thought they played hard all year, and I thought they were well coached. There was improvement from last year. The problem I see is lack of talent, especially in the offense. They could not generate scoring opportunities against good teams consistently. Will Cole ever be able to get MSU back to being a power in college hockey, or is there too much competition for the best players with UM, Penn State, Ohio State, and Notre Dame all being better programs right now, and that's just in the Big Ten.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        Clearly the offense took a step back, but that's almost entirely attributable to the second half the year. Counting the GLI, we were averaging 2.6 goals in the first half, which essentially splits the difference of Years 1 and 2, not bad considering Hirose left. Actually, that's a totally unexpected mark and I would consider it a positive: a fairly anemic offense staying consistent after the NCAA's leading scorer leaves is an achievement. That's what makes the second half of the season so tough to swallow. 1.75 a game average, shut out four times, only scored multiple goals in 7 of 16 games. If this team had averaged even a little over 2 goals post-GLI, there's probably a banner going up and a single elimination game at Munn next weekend.
        Thanks for the analysis, which provides support for my 2nd half perspective. Tough to swallow is an understatement. I attribute this to other teams getting better while we're stagnating, which is honestly an indictment of Cole's development abilities. After all, we're playing the same B1G schedule from the 1st half, so why are the other B1G teams so much better and we're not? You can't attribute it to our schedule. The only possibility other than development would be conditioning which, again, is an indictment of the coaching staff. Either way, it doesn't speak well of Cole's coaching abilities.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
          Thanks for the analysis, which provides support for my 2nd half perspective. Tough to swallow is an understatement. I attribute this to other teams getting better while we're stagnating, which is honestly an indictment of Cole's development abilities. After all, we're playing the same B1G schedule from the 1st half, so why are the other B1G teams so much better and we're not? You can't attribute it to our schedule. The only possibility other than development would be conditioning which, again, is an indictment of the coaching staff. Either way, it doesn't speak well of Cole's coaching abilities.
          I’m not ready to go that negative. We were a veteran team that was probably much closer to their ceiling in the first half than teams like Michigan and Minnesota.

I think we have all long expected next season to be potentially rough, but that was going to be more palatable when it seemed we might actually show real progress in the W column this year. Now if next season goes as expected, Cole might feel his seat getting pretty warm.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
            I’m not ready to go that negative. We were a veteran team that was probably much closer to their ceiling in the first half than teams like Michigan and Minnesota.

I think we have all long expected next season to be potentially rough, but that was going to be more palatable when it seemed we might actually show real progress in the W column this year. Now if next season goes as expected, Cole might feel his seat getting pretty warm.
            Congrats to Khodorenko on signing with the Rangers. Perhaps Cole can attract more recruits based on successfully preparing him for the pros.

In reply to Pirateasaur, my apologies for being overly negative, but I’m not buying the “veterans vs. young’uns” excuse. Even veterans close to their ceiling can and should develop and improve. IMHO if the talent wasn’t evident upon reasonable evaluation, there should have been cuts shortly after Cole took the helm. As tough as that is to say, nothing in this life is guaranteed. But instead, if I’m reading Cole’s last post-game comments correctly, he set unlikely expectations on the rising seniors for next season.

At the end of the day, you acknowledge what most of us on this forum have known for a while, that expectations have now been lowered. I hope I’m wrong and that Cole rights the ship on the 5-year plan, but I’m just not seeing it from where I stand.
            Last edited by FLHockeyMom; 03-11-2020, 09:23 AM. Reason: Changed rising juniors to seniors

Comment

Cole said at presser 2 more have been signed for 2020 (assume Neinhuis and Haskins) with 2 more forwards and a third non-scholarship goalie to be added.

Next year looks to be similar to this year - good defense, but underwhelming offense. 2021 looks to be a good recruiting class, so 2022 could be the first year I would expect MSU to be a NCAA tournament team.

Comment

I just read that the BCHL's Defensive Award for top defenseman went to Salmon Arm’s Akito Hirose (younger bro of Taro), EP page link below:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...0/akito-hirose

While I realize we're not particularly wanting in the defense department, and all of those apples were likely on the PP, the fact is we still could've used that kid. I guess Taro was an Anastos commit and had limited loyalty. Oh, well.

Comment

I have no idea how this is affecting the construction industry, but I’m going to assume the Munn renovation will not be ready by opening night.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Add forward AJ Hodges a decommit from Union to this years class. Probably one more forward to go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                      Add forward AJ Hodges a decommit from Union to this years class. Probably one more forward to go.
                      Decent pickup it would seem. From Neutral Zone, the hockey scouting service:

In D-I, Michigan State added former Union commit AJ Hodges to the roster for 2020.

A native of Littleton, Colo., Hodges has 30 points in 49 games this season for Muskegon and Sioux City. After a trade to the Musketeers, he had racked up 12 points in 14 games.

“His skating is choppy at times, but he can really pick up speed in just a few steps,” scouts said. “He anticipates the opposing team’s breakout passes by intercepting.”

Comment

And here's the third goalie we've been waiting for:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/trans...e-univ./413362

Not your typical third goalie profile given the NTDP and USHL stints, but the underwhelming career stats certainly support it.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                          And here's the third goalie we've been waiting for:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/trans...e-univ./413362

Not your typical third goalie profile given the NTDP and USHL stints, but the underwhelming career stats certainly support it.
                          Will come in as #3, but will likely get a chance to be coached up to possibly starting a few games in a couple of years.

I expect one more forward to be added.

Comment

Good news, bad news. Recruit Max Namestnikov selected 3rd overall by Sarnia in today's OHL draft, so he's a darn good player. Bad news is Sarnia wouldn't have selected him so high if they didn't think he'll eventually roster with them.

Comment

As reported a couple of days ago, Charlie Combs will be joining MSU as a one year graduate transfer from Bemidji. He’s a smaller (5’7”) leftwinger who has scored 11-13 goals a year at Bemidji. He should add some good temporary scoring punch while we wait for younger players to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                                As reported a couple of days ago, Charlie Combs will be joining MSU as a one year graduate transfer from Bemidji. He’s a smaller (5’7”) leftwinger who has scored 11-13 goals a year at Bemidji. He should add some good temporary scoring punch while we wait for younger players to develop.
                                Was thinking we'd likely pick up a grad transfer, sounds like Combs is as good as anyone. I was partial to Shane Sellar of Dartmouth with whom I'm familiar from NE prep, although a Midwest destination might not be in the cards for him.

In other news, Cole just lost another far out recruit to the OHL:

https://twitter.com/_Neutral_Zone/st...22517498171393

Comment

Working...
                                X