Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Suppose itís about that time. The 2019-20 season has finally arrived 2 weeks ago!

    Summary so far:
    Good goaltending
    Decent defense
    Maybe not good offense.
    Definitely not good powerplay

    New shuffle, though! Helmets now. Iíve been saying that we needed a change from the puck shuffle for years.

  • #2
    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    New shuffle, though! Helmets now. I’ve been saying that we needed a change from the puck shuffle for years.
    This is a major upgrade. Actually got it wrong during Western Ontario game. Puck shuffle was way too easy.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

      Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
      Suppose itís about that time. The 2019-20 season has finally arrived 2 weeks ago!

      Summary so far:
      Good goaltending
      Decent defense
      Maybe not good offense.
      Definitely not good powerplay

      New shuffle, though! Helmets now. Iíve been saying that we needed a change from the puck shuffle for years.
      Your summary is quite on point. Looking forward to this weekend's games. I don't know much about CC, except that interestingly Mike Vernon's son is a frosh goalie there. That having been said, in an equally small sample size to MSU's season, thus far CC has ridden Northeastern grad transfer Ryan Ruck in net.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
        Your summary is quite on point. Looking forward to this weekend's games. I don't know much about CC, except that interestingly Mike Vernon's son is a frosh goalie there. That having been said, in an equally small sample size to MSU's season, thus far CC has ridden Northeastern grad transfer Ryan Ruck in net.
        He apparently was in net for Northeastern those games they beat us. I recall the later Anastos years we had a game at NE to finish off the first half. We needed a win bad and a game against an awful, 2 win NE squad seemed the perfect way to go into Christmas on a high note. They beat us and proceeded to go 19-2 the rest of the year. They came to Munn the following year and thumped us.

        Anyway, hopefully we score more on this guy than the other times we played him.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

          Looks like the game will be on Dish tonight 412-30. Probably on Direct TV if on Dish.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

            All in all seems like not a bad weekend. Got a split on the road. Jumped on them Saturday with 3 early goals and then kept it up rest of game winning 5-1. Scoring is coming from more than just the top line this year so far which is promising. Although hopefully the top line does score a little more frequently going forward. Didn't watch either game so I can't comment on individual play. Big home weekend coming up with Cornell coming to town.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
              All in all seems like not a bad weekend. Got a split on the road. Jumped on them Saturday with 3 early goals and then kept it up rest of game winning 5-1. Scoring is coming from more than just the top line this year so far which is promising. Although hopefully the top line does score a little more frequently going forward. Didn't watch either game so I can't comment on individual play. Big home weekend coming up with Cornell coming to town.
              Agreed. The scoring droughts are concerning but Saturday was good to see and I like seeing the defense get involved in scoring. Itís great to see us continuing to keep goals against down.

              Cornell is probably gonna be a real grind for us. They swatted the U-18ís away fairly easily. I know we managed to sweep them last year but I think weíre a different team in many ways than last year even though personnel is mostly the same.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

                Oh! Also, lines were different Saturday. Lewandowski and Saliba swapped spots. Will be interesting to see if that is maintained. Based on production from the forwards thus far, I see no reason not to begin moving pieces around.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

                  Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                  Oh! Also, lines were different Saturday. Lewandowski and Saliba swapped spots. Will be interesting to see if that is maintained. Based on production from the forwards thus far, I see no reason not to begin moving pieces around.
                  I did not notice that. Interesting. Wonder if it will continue..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

                    Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                    Agreed. The scoring droughts are concerning but Saturday was good to see and I like seeing the defense get involved in scoring. Itís great to see us continuing to keep goals against down.

                    Cornell is probably gonna be a real grind for us. They swatted the U-18ís away fairly easily. I know we managed to sweep them last year but I think weíre a different team in many ways than last year even though personnel is mostly the same.
                    The advantage we have is the same we had last year...this will be Cornellís first real games after 2 exhibitions.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

                      MSU picked up a verbal of a top 16 year old forward Nikita Tarasevich. https://mihockey.com/2019/10/recruit...ichigan-state/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

                        Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                        MSU picked up a verbal of a top 16 year old forward Nikita Tarasevich. https://mihockey.com/2019/10/recruit...ichigan-state/
                        Neutral Zone has Tarasevich as a 4.5 star recruit and here's a short blurb they tweeted about him:

                        4.5⭐️Nikita Tarasevich to Michigan St. Strong, quick & difficult to defend. 2003 works to get to the net & can do it w/skill or strength. Patient & makes smart passes. Quick release with the snarl to play in tough areas. Three zone F w/high ceiling.

                        Sounds like a huge recruiting win for Cole and hopefully a sign of many more to come.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                          Neutral Zone has Tarasevich as a 4.5 star recruit and here's a short blurb they tweeted about him:

                          4.5⭐️Nikita Tarasevich to Michigan St. Strong, quick & difficult to defend. 2003 works to get to the net & can do it w/skill or strength. Patient & makes smart passes. Quick release with the snarl to play in tough areas. Three zone F w/high ceiling.

                          Sounds like a huge recruiting win for Cole and hopefully a sign of many more to come.
                          Nice! We desperately need players like this. Now all we have to do is hold onto him.

                          Anyways, Iím not sure if this was mentioned in the old thread but apparently Munn will begin selling beer for the games starting this weekend. Iíll definitely be having a couple to celebrate but an $8 pint of Labatt probably wonít be on my on my radar for long.

                          At least, thatís my predicted price.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

                            The beer was a fake rumor.

                            As for the game, we played well enough to win but for an unacceptable number of penalties.

                            I thought the powerplay looked pretty good at times so that is nice.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

                              Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                              As for the game, we played well enough to win but for an unacceptable number of penalties.
                              Poorly officiated game or compensating for being outplayed? Or both? Now that Cornell presumably has their bus legs back under them (well, other than the goal-scoring Russian who got to fly), we'll see if the Spartans can apply the lessons learned yesterday and improve upon a good performance. Time for a statement game from DeRidder.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X