Lindenwood to D-I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post

I think the CCHA is making an exception to grab St. Thomas to gain an important foothold in the Twin Cities market and also the only private university NCAA DI hockey program in MN. St. Thomas has the potential to be very good, very fast (i.e ASU facilities don't matter sometimes). Apparently St. Thomas has also committed to finding a more suitable, or building, a more suitable NCAA DI standard hockey facility.

Back to Lindenwood, yes the consulting company put out a really poorly worded press release out before the official announcement but LU has been exploring NCAA Hockey since the men's and women's teams began in the early 2000s. Initially LU planned to play in the CHA for both men's and women's teams, while maintaining NAIA membership for other sports. Now LU has been a full NCAA D2 member for awhile now; and LU has a new DI standard hockey facility compared to the LU Ice Arena (basically they previously had similar issues as St. Thomas with about a 1,000-1,000 seat rink). The rumors and leaks appear to be true and I would suspect we'll hear a lot more after the season from LU. Also the NAHL has put out several commitment announcements for LU and now lists Lindenwood on their NCAA commitment list. Piecing all the news together- It appears that they're going to play a mostly ACHA schedule in 2021-22 (LU hosts the ACHA DI championship in 2022) and then begin playing a mostly NCAA DI schedule in 2022-23. Additionally, probably the biggest clue/leak since regionals are given to hockey school hosts is that Lindenwood hosts an NCAA DI men's regional in 2023-24.
    What did St Thomas pay to join CCHA & what is the penalty payment for having an undersized arena, being they are a rich school?

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
      What did St Thomas pay to join CCHA & what is the penalty payment for having an undersized arena, being they are a rich school?
      The Tommies likely have more money at their disposal than any other team in their conference should they choose to steer it to hockey. I would guess they committed to build a rink as soon as it was feasible. I'm not aware of any special arrangements that were made for them to join. It's a hockey crazy state and they're a private school with wealthy alumni and a tradition of successful hockey at lower levels. It shouldn't be any great challenge for them to get a facility funded and built when they find the right solution/location.
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I am not aware of any penalties. Probably the fact St. Thomas fits the CCHA footprint and giving the CCHA a foothold in a major media market, MSP. St. Thomas alums are passionate about their athletic teams and many have some deep pockets. The sports segments in the Twin Cities, from a college standpoint, feature the Goofers and then the Tommies. All other D-II and D-III schools, tend to be an after thought.
        Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 03-25-2021, 01:02 PM.
        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

The Tommies likely have more money at their disposal than any other team in their conference should they choose to steer it to hockey. I would guess they committed to build a rink as soon as it was feasible. I'm not aware of any special arrangements that were made for them to join. It's a hockey crazy state and they're a private school with wealthy alumni and a tradition of successful hockey at lower levels. It shouldn't be any great challenge for them to get a facility funded and built when they find the right solution/location.
          I suspect you are correct based on what I understand of their financials. Great to have more NCAA D1 teams!

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

I am not aware of any penalties. Probably the fact St. Thomas fits the CCHA footprint and giving the CCHA a foothold in a major media market, MSP. St. Thomas alums are passionate about their athletic teams and many have some deep pockets. The sports segments in the Twin Cities, from a college standpoint, feature the Goofers and then the Tommies. All other D-II and D-III schools, tend to be an after thought.
            Well there is Baja Minnesota, then the rest of the state has to struggle to get much recognition in Minnesota for anything. i.e.; Bemidji, St Cloud, Mankato, Duluth.

Comment

Just because they have a huge endowment doesn't mean they can throw money around like there's no tomorrow. They don't get public money to operate, they have to fund themselves through tuitions and that endowment. Like every other school in the new CCHA, the program will likely require a lot of funding from alumni and boosters- more so than the public universities. And I wouldn't focus so much on their facilities for now. What would be interesting is who they hire to run the program and how much they pay him.

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
                ...the program will likely require a lot of funding from alumni and boosters...
                I completely agree and being located in MN, their men's hockey team will the be the signature program of their new D-I athletic department. If the men's hockey team and any other St Thomas athletic team hold their hands out to boosters and alumni at the same time, I would guess as many as 7 or 8 out of every $10 donated will land in the hockey hand.

Comment

I completely agree and being located in MN, their men's hockey team will the be the signature program of their new D-I athletic department. If the men's hockey team and any other St Thomas athletic team hold their hands out to boosters and alumni at the same time, I would guess as many as 7 or 8 out of every $10 donated will land in the hockey hand.
                  While they’ve readily acknowledged they need to upgrade where they play hockey, keep in mind the reason they jumped to division 1 and were kicked out of their league was football. I think it will be a 1a &1b situation with hockey & football where hockey has more need for the money

Comment

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post

While they’ve readily acknowledged they need to upgrade where they play hockey, keep in mind the reason they jumped to division 1 and were kicked out sof their league was football. I think it will be a 1a &1b situation with hockey & football where hockey has more need for the money
                    The Tommies will play in the non scholarship Pioneer Football League. So my guess is that hockey may get priority.

Comment

Lindenwood's AD appeared on this podcast: https://www.extrapointsmb.com/linden...e-realignment/ to discuss the school's move to D-I generally.

In it they discussed the status of men's hockey. Essentially, they had hoped to get it done in 2021 but the fundraising didn't get where they wanted. Moving to D-I in all sports changes the monetary calculations a bit, so they need to regroup, and nothing is imminent. It remains on their radar and they think college hockey could succeed in St. Louis.

Comment

A future NCAA D1 addition or just wishful thinking......? Would be great but it'll be some time if it happens at least according to the tone of the article.......

https://nbc16.com/sports/ducks/orego...e-ncaa-program

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          Lindenwood's AD appeared on this podcast: https://www.extrapointsmb.com/linden...e-realignment/ to discuss the school's move to D-I generally.

In it they discussed the status of men's hockey. Essentially, they had hoped to get it done in 2021 but the fundraising didn't get where they wanted. Moving to D-I in all sports changes the monetary calculations a bit, so they need to regroup, and nothing is imminent. It remains on their radar and they think college hockey could succeed in St. Louis.
                          Lindenwood has been an odd case, ever progressing but not quite getting there. I think they have all the intention in the world, its just easier said than done.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

A future NCAA D1 addition or just wishful thinking......? Would be great but it'll be some time if it happens at least according to the tone of the article.......

https://nbc16.com/sports/ducks/orego...e-ncaa-program
                            Sounds rock solid. I’ve always found declarations of intentions to move to NCAA D1 from current club players to be far more credible than coming from school athletic departments.
                            Last edited by altazo; 03-08-2022, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile, in Champaign-Urbana...........
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                                Meanwhile, in Champaign-Urbana...........
                                Yes, but their planning has "reached the red zone" and is nearing completion per their athletic department.
                                *Roll Eyes*
                                Unfortunately the "red zone" is a stop sign.

Comment

Working...
                                X