Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merrimack…not what we hoped for in year three.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Merrimack…not what we hoped for in year three.

    I hope year four is better.

  • #2
    Bradz, you are a mind reader. I expected so see some modest improvement this year, but it is the same old same old. Still no goaltending, special teams are well below average. Still take too many penalties. Jefferies was a really good get this year, Uens and Carlile have been good, but beyond that, the huge recruiting class from last year hasn't impressed. We're now in year 3, and Borek's record is 16-46-6 (.279). These are HIS recruits/players other than a couple of holdovers. I was not excited when he was hired, and I haven't seen anything to change my mind so far. I'm "assuming" he has a least 1 more year on his contract (couldn't find any contract length details).
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
      Bradz, you are a mind reader. I expected so see some modest improvement this year, but it is the same old same old. Still no goaltending, special teams are well below average. Still take too many penalties. Jefferies was a really good get this year, Uens and Carlile have been good, but beyond that, the huge recruiting class from last year hasn't impressed. We're now in year 3, and Borek's record is 16-46-6 (.279). These are HIS recruits/players other than a couple of holdovers. I was not excited when he was hired, and I haven't seen anything to change my mind so far. I'm "assuming" he has a least 1 more year on his contract (couldn't find any contract length details).
      I remember your comments very well, and I personally was willing to give Borek a chance while having a modicum of optimism, but I’ve lost a lot of optimism at this point. When Borek got rid of Curtis I kind of figured things weren’t headed in the right direction, and to replace him with Jewell was a head scratcher for me as was his hiring of Ciocco as neither Ciocco nor Jewell have what I would consider good recruiting resumes at any level. Bowling Green sure is doing well since Carr got there. I thought hiring Emery might help but at least at this point it doesn’t seem to have helped much. “Mission Merrimack” as Borek described it seems like it might be suffering from mission creep or something similar.

      Comment


      • #4
        This thread reminds me that as bad as things are at UNH, they could be even worse.

        Dennehy did a decent job with a lot of limitations. Why a national search led to Borek ... ???

        Not picking on you guys, and I genuinely wish Merrimack well.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          This thread reminds me that as bad as things are at UNH, they could be even worse.

          Dennehy did a decent job with a lot of limitations. Why a national search led to Borek ... ???

          Not picking on you guys, and I genuinely wish Merrimack well.
          “Why a national search led to Borek ... ???”
          There is no such thing as a national search, it is all about who you know not what you know.

          https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...Candidates.php

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bradz View Post

            “Why a national search led to Borek ... ???”
            There is no such thing as a national search, it is all about who you know not what you know.

            https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...Candidates.php
            Unfortunately, you pretty much nailed it right there. Kind of how UNH's national search went too.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

              Unfortunately, you pretty much nailed it right there. Kind of how UNH's national search went too.
              Souza was a done deal from the get-go everyone knew Souza was Umile’s favorite, Borek and Lassonde saw the writing on the wall.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bradz View Post
                Souza was a done deal from the get-go everyone knew Souza was Umile's favorite, Borek and Lassonde saw the writing on the wall.
                Yeah, and that seems to have worked out SO well for UNH.

                Hopefully Borek turns things around for MC. But his first 3 seasons are worse than Souza's so far, which prompted my initial comments. Sadly, I think both programs will need to move on to the next HC before they see any real turnarounds, though.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

                  Yeah, and that seems to have worked out SO well for UNH.

                  Hopefully Borek turns things around for MC. But his first 3 seasons are worse than Souza's so far, which prompted my initial comments. Sadly, I think both programs will need to move on to the next HC before they see any real turnarounds, though.
                  Time will tell, the question is how much time will tell.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bradz View Post
                    Time will tell, the question is how much time will tell.
                    My guess is Mrs. Metcalf will pull the plug on Borek well before Blue Skies Scarano even realizes there's a problem at UNH. And that's good news for you folks down in North Andover. :-)
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      This thread reminds me that as bad as things are at UNH, they could be even worse.

                      Dennehy did a decent job with a lot of limitations. Why a national search led to Borek ... ???

                      Not picking on you guys, and I genuinely wish Merrimack well.
                      You've always wished for the best for Merrimack (unless of course they are playing your beloved 'Cats!); kinda like UNH's little brother!

                      I went back and looked at the "finalists" for the position, and if Jerry Keefe REALLY was one of the finalists, then it was a swing and a miss to not get him. Northeastern continues to excel, and I have to believe that he is the one bringing in the stud recruits every year, not Madigan. Not that he necessarily would have been able to bring that same level of recruit to Merrimack, but it would have been a good opportunity to make a real change. And as Bradz indicated, looks like Curtis Carr is doing okay at Bowling Green. It's just frustrating when the best I can hope for them is to achieve mediocrity.
                      Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RENCEB View Post

                        You've always wished for the best for Merrimack (unless of course they are playing your beloved 'Cats!); kinda like UNH's little brother!

                        I went back and looked at the "finalists" for the position, and if Jerry Keefe REALLY was one of the finalists, then it was a swing and a miss to not get him. Northeastern continues to excel, and I have to believe that he is the one bringing in the stud recruits every year, not Madigan. Not that he necessarily would have been able to bring that same level of recruit to Merrimack, but it would have been a good opportunity to make a real change. And as Bradz indicated, looks like Curtis Carr is doing okay at Bowling Green. It's just frustrating when the best I can hope for them is to achieve mediocrity.
                        If I remember correctly Keefe pulled out early perhaps sensing something. I also thought he would be a great choice he has always been a leader and an honest recruiter with an eye. I think it would be hard for him to move though when you consider his great relationship with Madigan and their success. When this season is over it will be interesting to see what the administration does with both the men’s and women’s programs it could be a little too much UNH influence.

                        It will also be interesting to see if Borek himself makes any changes should he still have a job.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You gotta think if Keefe is ever going to leave NU, it'll be for something more compelling than MC or present-day UNH. Might have been a different story a decade or so ago at UNH, but Keefe wasn't "Keefe" yet, and Blue Skies was still wed to Umile at the time. And in the end, it's often all about the timing. Maybe Carr gets the call the next time the MC job opens up?
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RENCEB View Post

                            ...Northeastern continues to excel, and I have to believe that he is the one bringing in the stud recruits every year, not Madigan...
                            At the risk of oversimplifying, Keefe finds the talent and Madigan closes the deals (it is said in NU circles that Madigan could sell refrigerators to eskimos). It is very much a collaborative effort both on and off the bench and it is widely assumed that Keefe is HC-in-waiting.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              At the risk of oversimplifying, Keefe finds the talent and Madigan closes the deals (it is said in NU circles that Madigan could sell refrigerators to eskimos). It is very much a collaborative effort both on and off the bench and it is widely assumed that Keefe is HC-in-waiting.
                              Just as the Walshy-Standbrook team used to operate a generation ago up in Orono.

                              Except Standbrook knew his strengths and limitations, and never pursued the HC job post-Walshy.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X