2019 Ice Breaker Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Ice Breaker Tournament

As this year's host of the Ice Breaker it's probably up to a BG guy to start the discussion. Here's what we know:

#17 Bowling Green comes into the tourney after dominating, dismantling, and annihilating in-state rival Miami State. Defense looked shaky at times but the offense was swarming. BG legends Wayne Wilson and Brian Hills took RIT into Colgate and brought home a 3-1 win.

In exhibition play, #12 THE (TM) put away Western Ontario while #14 Western Michigan knocked out Northern Alberta. Looking forward to watching this early season clash of ranked teams.

If you're looking to sit with like-minded fans, THE (TM) student sections are 108 & 109, RIT student sections are 104 & 105, WMU student sections are 119 & 120, and BG student sections are 115 & 116. As they say about any college hockey game taking place in Toledo, "Good seats are still available."

Re: 2019 Ice Breaker Tournament

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    #17 Bowling Green comes into the tourney after dominating, dismantling, and annihilating in-state rival Miami State.
    Miami STATE? Who the heck is Miami STATE? Just picking on you, I know who you're referring to.
    It looks to be a fun weekend and my only complaint thus far is when tickets went on sale not one person at the arena had any info on which sections were for which teams fans or which benches each team would be on for the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      Miami STATE? Who the heck is Miami STATE? Just picking on you, I know who you're referring to.
      It looks to be a fun weekend and my only complaint thus far is when tickets went on sale not one person at the arena had any info on which sections were for which teams fans or which benches each team would be on for the first round.
      Ah yes...the traditional "Miami State" banter with Hockeybuckeye. Last night was my first time in their arena -- it's gorgeous, but the PA system sucks. Like their team. This is...what...the second or third year in a row you guys have dodged them? What's up with that?

Since we have Western the weekend following the Ice Breaker I have to hope for dual BG/OSU wins or losses. Preferable wins.

Comment

Ah yes...the traditional "Miami State" banter with Hockeybuckeye. Last night was my first time in their arena -- it's gorgeous, but the PA system sucks. Like their team. This is...what...the second or third year in a row you guys have dodged them? What's up with that?
        I know there's a MIAMI, I'm reminded of it every single time they call soliciting money as my son is an alum. LOL!
        I wish I knew what the deal is on not playing them, we would have crushed them the past several seasons for some much deserved payback.
        It must have been a sweet win for you guys with your coach having bailed to them!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          I know there's a MIAMI, I'm reminded of it every single time they call soliciting money as my son is an alum. LOL!
          I wish I knew what the deal is on not playing them, we would have crushed them the past several seasons for some much deserved payback.
          It must have been a sweet win for you guys with your coach having bailed to them!
          It was a very satisfying win. It's tough to hate on Bergeron. He and Barry Schutte hugged each of our players as they came through the handshake line.

Comment

As this year's host of the Ice Breaker it's probably up to a BG guy to start the discussion. Here's what we know:

#17 Bowling Green comes into the tourney after dominating, dismantling, and annihilating in-state rival Miami State. Defense looked shaky at times but the offense was swarming. BG legends Wayne Wilson and Brian Hills took RIT into Colgate and brought home a 3-1 win.

In exhibition play, #12 THE (TM) put away Western Ontario while #14 Western Michigan knocked out Northern Alberta. Looking forward to watching this early season clash of ranked teams.

If you're looking to sit with like-minded fans, THE (TM) student sections are 108 & 109, RIT student sections are 104 & 105, WMU student sections are 119 & 120, and BG student sections are 115 & 116. As they say about any college hockey game taking place in Toledo, "Good seats are still available."
            Looking forward to seeing ohio state play in my hometown. I cant make it friday night because of my high school football team that i coach playing in our homecoming game. Cant wait for saturday to get here. This should be 4 pretty good hockey games with 3 ranked teams and RIT has a respected program although i dont know much about this team.

Comment

It was a very satisfying win. It's tough to hate on Bergeron. He and Barry Schutte hugged each of our players as they came through the handshake line.
              I can understand the emotions with his rebuilding your program and the obvious bond with his previous players but if he gets the Redchickens beating the Falcons on a regular basis those warm fuzzies will quickly fade.

Comment

Since we have Western the weekend following the Ice Breaker I have to hope for dual BG/OSU wins or losses. Preferable wins.
                As a WMU fan i'm hoping for a WMU -BG final. Love to have a 3 game series vs you guys to make up for last year. But if that's not possible, I choose Dual OSU / BG losses.

Comment

RIT almost comes into this tournament with everything to gain and nothing to lose since it's tough for an Atlantic Hockey program to get an at-large. However, if they can get a win or two in the tournament, they can start building a case for it to go with their win over Colgate . They lost a decent amount of scoring from last year, so we still need to see who is going to step up. Goaltender Logan Drackett made a lot of improvement from freshman to sophomore year and looks like he may be adding to that this year. I don't think you can sleep on the Tigers, as they will give you a game.
                  2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                  2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2010 Frozen Four participant
                  2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

RIT was in the NCAA's a few years back and won their first round game if memory serves me? Wayne interviewed for the BG job but I don't think either he or our AD were serious about it. But he did leverage it into a nice extension. Doesn't look like he's ever leaving RIT. Curious about Hillsy...would he be up for a head coaching gig anywhere?

As for Western, I'm interested to see if Allison has finally recovered from that knee injury. Last year was a lost year for him.

Comment

RIT was in the NCAA's a few years back and won their first round game if memory serves me? Wayne interviewed for the BG job but I don't think either he or our AD were serious about it. But he did leverage it into a nice extension. Doesn't look like he's ever leaving RIT. Curious about Hillsy...would he be up for a head coaching gig anywhere?

As for Western, I'm interested to see if Allison has finally recovered from that knee injury. Last year was a lost year for him.
                      They were in the frozen four at ford field and were in the tournament and beat #1 seed Minnesota State in South Bend. I was at that regional the fan base they have is real rowdy and into the game. I enjoyed watching them play.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                        They were in the frozen four at ford field and were in the tournament and beat #1 seed Minnesota State in South Bend. I was at that regional the fan base they have is real rowdy and into the game. I enjoyed watching them play.
                        They had a return trip to the NCAAs the year after they beat Minnesota St, but lost in the first round.

Comment

RIT beat Denver and New Hampshire to get to the Frozen Four in Detroit.
                          I personally believe that the only reason Omaha got to the Frozen Four was because RIT knocked out number one Minnesota State. Omaha beat Harvard and then RIT to get to Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                            RIT beat Denver and New Hampshire to get to the Frozen Four in Detroit.
                            I personally believe that the only reason Omaha got to the Frozen Four was because RIT knocked out number one Minnesota State. Omaha beat Harvard and then RIT to get to Boston.
                            If I recall, RIT and Omaha played a close game for the most part until RIT ran out of gas.

Comment

I honestly don’t remember the details, but I think the final score was Omaha 4, RIT 0. Omaha did have Jake Guentzel, Ryan Massa, Austin Ortega, and a couple of other hot-shoes. Enough to defeat Mankato on their own? Not sure. RIT? Done.

Comment

Working...
                              X