This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2019-2020: "We're on the clock" <<<

Nate Owens Monday 10, needs a closer look at by the editor/"stat boy" but hey I will take the positive press!!!

Drackett comes up big for Tigers
    It’s not often a team comes away with four points after getting outshot by a combined total of 80-22, but that’s what happened for RIT last week, thanks to goalie Logan Drackett.

The sophomore made 43 saves Thursday in a 2-1 win at Air Force, and then had a shutout with 36 saves on Friday. It was the first time the Tigers’ Division I history that the team had swept a series at Air Force.

“Great goaltending, but it was a gutty effort all around,” RIT coach Wayne Wilson said following Friday’s game. “To come away with four huge road points will help pay dividends down the road.”
    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
    The Mule
    Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Drackett's save on a 2-on-1 breakaway (after an RIT defenseman fell down at the opposite blue line) made the #4 play of the week on USCHO.com.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Just published a new dashboard through Tableau Public (updates every week when games are completed) that takes a look at the whole of Atlantic Hockey. Currently has vizzes for Shot Share, Shot Rates, Puck Luck, Expected Goal Differential (this is a ***lite*** model and currently looks like it is over-emphasizing the importance of goaltending so I will look to make some adjustments), and Power Ranks that are generated using a single game predictor I have previously created.

The dashboard can be found here on Tableau Public.

The game predictor that some of the data is sourced from can be found here.

Comment

I think maybe the link below is wrong. You can find this info here: https://www.pucksandpaws.com/

Interesting stuff!

Comment

6-1. Just saying
            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Orange Cat Review RIT Vs. Holy Cross – Game 1

Puck Drop: After let's say an unique way to sweep a team on the road. RIT finally opened up play at the GPC against an interesting Holy Cross team who also played good out of conference opponents, but seem to fair better against the stronger opponents and not so good against the weaker opponents. Old grumpy men, like myself, have been complaining about RIT getting outshot and we almost got a taste of our own medicine as RIT out shoot the Crusaders by a wide margin, but Logan Drackett had almost 30% of the 11 shots he face in the first two periods hit the back of the net. Not really all his fault, just a tough night. This became a game that I actually wanted to see, cause this was the game that I felt if this team was going to be dangerous, it needed to win this kind of game. RIT used a 5 goal third period to grab a 7-4 win.

Blame Game: : Off kind of broken play near the blue line Alden Dupuis batted a puck to a tip toeing the line Jake Hamacher who used his sweet hands to tie the game at one on a partial breakaway. God does Hamacher have sweet hands, his talent and hockey IQ is so much fun to watch. Why I have this under blame game was I just was a little surprise Holy Cross did not challenge the off sides. I'm not saying it was, but it was close I thought it be worth a shot.

Hockey Hero: Logan Drackett, sorry just became a habit. Andrew Rinaldi, when a freshman has a hat trick you have to give it to him. I really like the kid, just seems his motor never stop going and he got skills.

Turing Point: Down 3-1 with time running out in the third Adam Brubacher collected a bounce puck after a nice intial chance by Nick Bruce. Brubacher could have tried to force the pass throw the two guys in front of him, but he cooly slide a pass over the Will Calverley who buried a big goal to cut the margin to 1 going into the third. That made a big difference, to out shoot the Crusaders and have some bad bounces it would have really felt different going to the room after 40 down 2 instead of the down 1 they ended up with...

Hey, You Did Good: Give some more freshman love to Caleb Moretz. 2 assist, including a sweet pass to Andrew Rinaldi to give the Tigers their first lead of the night

Look, You Need to Do Better: I'm going to nitpick a common concern I have on this team, and how I would attack it if I was the bad guys. Get RIT defense to have to get mobile with the puck in their own zone. This just happen to be the best example, but that weird bounce that lead to the second goal, really happen because Ryan Nicholson felt the pressure and even thought it was freaky bounce he did not make the best decision as he tried to escape the Purple that was closing in on him

Good Move Wayne: Nick Bruce saw no action last week at Air Force and was inserted into the second line with Will Calverley and Kobe Walker. Seemed to help Calverley get going as he had two goals, and Bruce assisted on both of them, included the primary on the game winner.

WILSON!!!!!!!!! (Second Guessing Wayne): When you navigate your through rough waters like that I don't think you can complain much, maybe work on the pregame speeches, I was really hoping to see the Tigers come out flying tonight and early on the on form of that was a boarding penalty taken by Shawn Cameron that lead to the fist of two Jake Pappalardo goals.

Breathless: In 7 games the Freshman class has now scored 7 Goals and chipped in 8 Assists for 15 points. That pretty much a goal and helper a game. Not bad for a senior class...

Next Shift Up: Short turn around for a 5:05 game, I am really curious on what Holy Cross will come back with. Don't forget the Women take on Syracuse at Noon. Nothing would make Chris Lerch more happy than RIT Beating Syracuse...
              Last edited by Tom Naeger; 11-01-2019, 09:01 PM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar, but of course!
              Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
              The Mule
              Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Regarding your point about making the RIT defense be mobile, I had a very similar thought while watching the game. It seems like they get a little flat-footed with the puck in their own zone at times. When teams take away their first option to move the puck, they get caught standing still, and it becomes a lot easier to hunt a puck carrier who is standing still.

Obviously a minor nit-pick after an impressive showing - winning when Drackett is mortal is going to be important, he can't stand on his head every night. This team has some offensive talent throughout the lineup if they can consistently clear their own zone with momentum.

Heck, add being able to win while being -2 on special teams to the good.

Comment

It's way, way, way too early for this to be significant, but it's really nice to see nevertheless.

Comment

Hopefully, this is the kind of win that can get people coming back to the games. It's fun scoring a lot of goals AND winning. It's more entertaining that way.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                      Hopefully, this is the kind of win that can get people coming back to the games. It's fun scoring a lot of goals AND winning. It's more entertaining that way.
                      The atmosphere had a Ritter-like quality.
                      KBranch

Comment

See, this is why ties are not bad.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                          See, this is why ties are not bad.

Powers &8^]
                          Good news! It counts as a tie for RPI/pairwise considerations

Anyway, they really got beat on the walls tonight, and as the game went on it really seemed to frustrate them and they started drifting more and more towards puck battles and leaving zones open where they were supposed to be. The third goal was a great example of that. There were four Tigers between the faceoff dot and the boards that you could have lassoed together when the puck popped into the middle, essentially creating a 2 on 0, because the only other Tiger played was the winger who was high in the d-zone defending the point.

My other takeaway is that the power play is just trying to be way too cute right now. Get guys in front, then get the shots through. Easier said than done, I know, but far too often even when they manufactured a wide open point man, their passing kept everyone on the perimeter, and the keeper or defender tight to the net had no problems dealing with it. They basically lost this game on special teams, ultimately, and largely didn't create much of danger even when they strung together some passes.

EDIT: Never mind, no weird stat. Got Sacred Heart confused with Holy Cross in terms of last year's series that RIT blew two 3rd period leads in :laugh:
                          Last edited by jflory81; 11-02-2019, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Not to mention, RIT does get a point in the conference standings to take the lead in the conference standings. Holy Cross just gets the bonus point for winning the shootout.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Yeah but now, even though we earned a tie, it feels like we lost.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                                Yeah but now, even though we earned a tie, it feels like we lost.

Powers &8^]
                                It does feel like a loss because we thought these guys are invincible but they aren’t and there are going to be these ties and even losses but you have to give them a ton of credit for coming back and tying the game.

6-1-1 is a hell of a record!
                                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Working...
                                X