No announcement yet.

Colgate 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Labor Day Weekend! I hope everyone is healthy and coping with Covid wallow. What are your thoughts on our new Asst. Coach - Andy Boschetto - who spent the last 3 years as an AC at Niagara and 7 years prior to that as the HC at Salve Regina Univ. (Div 111)?
    Be well and Go 'Gate!

Comment

• CU13 (and I will raise you one),

I have no real insight into him, though I think he has excellent credentials. I trust Don Vaughan to assemble a good team with whom to surround himself.

I did go to the Colgate at Niagara series in December of 2018 and I was very impressed with how fan-friendly the experience was. They had post-game press conferences, much like Alaska - Fairbanks, which were open to the public. I wish Colgate would do something similar.

Comment

• Nothing earth-shattering, but at least it is some communication from ECAC Hockey...

https://www.uticaod.com/sports/20200...ision-i-season

Comment

• Finally, some communication today from coach Don Vaughan...
          Greetings from the Colgate campus. The start of the new school year is anything but normal. I suppose one could call it the “new normal” with some students taking classes remotely while others are here on campus doing both. I am pleased to report that all of our guys returned to campus and as Colgate moved from Gate 0 (quarantine) to Gate 1 we have been able to get the guys on the ice in small groups. The energy and excitement has been over the top. We will continue to work in small groups on the ice for the next couple of weeks and then increase our on-ice group sizes as we move through the Gates of Reopening.

There continues to remain some uncertainty about college hockey this early fall. All the major Division I hockey conferences announced last week a delay to the D1 college hockey season due to Covid-19 (see the announcement at the bottom of this email). Each conference is working on plans for return to conference play with most looking to an early January 2021 start date.

The “summer” break was a particularly long one with everyone departing campus in March. I was very pleased to see the level of fitness the guys exhibited when they arrived back to campus in late August. That said, after two weeks of quarantine we are moving gradually with our workouts as recommended by both the NCAA and Colgate.

Summer schedules were disrupted due to Covid-19, which meant for the first time in 28 years there was no Terry Slater Memorial Golf Tournament. It is the highlight of the summer for many of our Colgate Hockey alumni and friends and a great fundraiser for Silver Puck. We plan to be back next year, so mark your calendars for July 16-17, 2021.

Due to the virus all of our summer hockey camps were also cancelled.

We have been very impressed with our first year class in the early going. Skill, speed, hockey IQ and maturity are the first words that come to mind when I see them at work. They are a very talented group of individuals and we look forward to showcasing them along with the rest of the team once we are cleared to play games. You can read more on our the first year class here.

This is usually the place where I add the schedule and talk about the non-conference portion. Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, things are currently on hold. Although we do plan to have some kind of competitive ECAC Hockey schedule, we will not be playing, among others, Providence, Notre Dame or Northern Michigan as originally scheduled.

As things unfold we remain hopeful as a group and will continue to prepare for that day when we can return to competition. In the meantime, our student-athletes will continue to represent our program in the fine manner which we have all come to expect on the ice, in the classroom and in the broader Colgate and Hamilton communities.

Stay safe and healthy, and go ’gate.

Sincerely,
          Don Vaughan
          Head Men's Hockey Coach

Comment

• Eager for the season to get started...looks like our best incoming class since The Class of 2016, solid across the board with both depth and speed/skill...perhaps an embarrassment of riches in goal, good puck moving defensemen and some needed scoring (Young, Mitton, etc.)...Can't imagine how difficult it has been for all ADs to try and navigate the current climate...

Comment

• Looking to me like January with no fans, pure speculation.
              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• More news from ECAC Hockey...

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Division-.php

Comment

• I like the league format, always thought NY teams could have their own division. Maybe add RIT to make six teams. Yikes, play Cornell four times !

Comment

• Congrats to Coach Vaughan on a 2 year extension.
                    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

• sk8 - where did you get the information about Coach Vaughan?

Comment

• Originally posted by CU13 View Post
                        sk8 - where did you get the information about Coach Vaughan?
                        From a very reliable source.
                        I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

• I can find nothing on the Colgate Athletic website about this. As a season ticket holder and Silver Puck member, I have heard nothing about this.

Comment

• Originally posted by CU13 View Post
                            I can find nothing on the Colgate Athletic website about this. As a season ticket holder and Silver Puck member, I have heard nothing about this.
                            You won't.

Comment

• Why such a secret ?

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                                Why such a secret ?
                                Great question. I have my thoughts. You?

Comment

Working...
                                X