Colgate 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2019-20

Sad news for Colgate hockey, I felt we finally had a great recruiter. He's a very special coach with unlimited upside. But, congrats !
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

losing Riley? NOT GOOD...hopefully 2021 commits don't bolt...wonder how hard we tried to keep him...he was responsible for a number of kids coming to Colgate, but perhaps no set path was communicated to him regarding his ultimate future in Hamilton...that begs a number of questions, obviously...

Comment

LIU added five recruits yesterday, I wonder how many might have been coming to Colgate. Hopefully none, he has to recruit a whole team in three months so maybe they're not high talent caliber ?

Comment

Shabby - I suspect none of this group were coming to Colgate as no more than one of them could have done another year in juniors and we have a full 2020-21 class. As for quality, a quick look at the stats is inconclusive. No one jumps out as outstanding (mid teens scorer in the AJHL, mid 40 scorer in the BCHL, etc.) so probably a bunch of players who fell through the cracks for one reason or another. Sometimes those players are "finds" and sometimes they slipped for a reason. The transfer from UNH did not suit up for them at all last year - they have a lot of young d-men so tough to tell if it was injury or odd-man out. I saw UNH play Michigan in Durham this year and was not impressed with the UNH in general and thought its D was caught out a lot. Michigan was up and down this year and they had moments against UNH but didn't look great overall.

Back to Colgate, hopefully the new(er) AD understands how vital a high quality recruiter is and the team gets the resources to hire one on. The current administration seems to be all in on having a strong athletic program so I am hopeful. I think DV is a very good coach but his most successful years have coincided with an assistant strong on recruiting (Stan Moore, Andy Dickson, Ron Fogarty).

Comment

Gate93, excellent post, agree on all. Still sad about losing Riley, I thought he was one of the best things that happened for Gate hockey in quite awhile. Dexter was a good recruiter also, wonder where he is now. We know where Steve Spott is !
            Last edited by sshablak; 06-05-2020, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I had totally forgotten this, but he's Fogarty's right hand man (or was Foges a lefty?). Associate Head Coach at Princeton.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate93 View Post
                I had totally forgotten this, but he's Fogarty's right hand man (or was Foges a lefty?). Associate Head Coach at Princeton.
                Oops, senior moment, lol.

Comment

• Tom Forrest '62

Tom Forrest, Colgate '62, a friend of mine passed away recently. A link to his obituary is below. I know Tom played at least one year for Colgate's hockey team. Does someone from the hockey program keep track of alums and their passing? If so, please pass on.

Tom was a great supporter of Colgate athletics.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ti...filiateid=1329

Comment

• Starr Rink was built in 59, I didn't start watching or playing until 62, so I missed him. Condolensces.

Comment

• I had some free time so I figured I would pop over here and see what was going on. I hope that everyone is healthy and staying as safe as they can given the present situation. For me, I'm good. Myself and my family are safe and healthy and I'm currently working from home with my present employer.

Honestly, I lurked last year and kept an eye on the discussion but didn't really post simply because I wasn't following the team as much. I think moving forward even with the most recent coaching departure, I still see the program being in really good shape. Losing Brett Riley and the timing was tough but that's a young kid that wanted to be a head coach and aside from the Division I level, had been a head coach already in a few different places, most prior at Division III Wilkes where he built a program from the ground up. Look at the family, it has a lot of head coaches; and when you want to be a head coach, you're going to go after opportunities when they present themselves. Hopefully he does well in what will be a difficult situation, even present circumstances aside. Colgate's had its share of strong assistants, when one moves on, you just hire another one. Such is the circle of life.

The biggest questions for next season are the usual ones - who is going do the balance of the scoring and how do you replace the leadership of the seniors? The goaltending and defense should be an area of strength between the incoming recruits and the returning veterans. The toughest part of the goaltending situation will be finding minutes for everyone; Benson and Farrier both have shown they can carry the team when needed while Gylander brings in a solid resume and should push for playing time. From the blue line, the biggest need I think is offense. Both Austin and Cosgrove were among the team's top 10 in points but neither scored a goal last season. I don't think you need a large offensive output from the blue line but an uptick in goal scoring would take pressure off the forwards. Smooth skating Elliott McDermott who averaged almost a point per game in the CCHL last season should be a boost in the scoring defense dept. Overall, you have 4 D back that played regularly and then add in a good looking group of freshmen.

Up front, it will be different to see a team without McMann as the offensive workhorse. Some of forwards that were freshmen last year will need to find a more consistent offensive flow. Some of the rookies last season had great starts but the numbers weren't sustained. It isn't easy to put up big numbers as a freshman but consistency is key for them moving ahead. The incoming forward group looks strong and it comes in a year where a large senior forward group has departed. This group replaces the McMann group which had replaced the Spinks, etc. I'm really excited about seeing what Alex Young can do at the NCAA level after his monster numbers in the AJHL. I'd think he would be on a line with his brother to try and replicate some of the chemistry they had in Canmore. Ross Mitten could be a really good find. While his overall numbers aren't overwhelming, he still had a career high 11 goals and 27 points in 40 games with Omaha. Again, the question is, who is going to step up offensively? Will it be a rookie or an established vet building off last year?

Those are some thoughts. I'm thrilled the team was able to close last season with a victory and advance on to the quarterfinals. And how is that built upon moving ahead? The talent on paper is there to have a good season with a solid mix of veterans, youthful experience and talented rookies. The schedule, well... we shall see depending on how things go.

Again, stay safe out there gang. And wash your hands!
                      Last edited by 'Gate Radio; 06-17-2020, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• Good to hear from you GR ! Where are you now ?

Comment

• Good to hear from 'Gate Radio and hope you are doing well...this appears to be a good class, arguably a top 20 class...and yes we have an embarrassment of riches in the nets, but goal scoring HAS to improve...Mitton was a late pickup (previously a Northeastern commit) and Young should certainly be one of our leading scorers...an improved PP would help immeasurably...

Comment

• What happened to Panetta, decommit ? College committments has him coming this year ?

Comment

• good question...could be 2021...haven't seen anything otherwise...

Comment

• Still in the suburbs in the Syracuse area, keeping busy.

Heisenberg's list shows the younger Panetta as a 2021 now. He committed fairly early in the process (began at 16 in the OJHL) and just turned 19 last month. He had decent numbers in the OJHL last year which were career highs (18-26-44, 54 games). After another year of juniors, he'll arrive as a very seasoned 20-year-old. Don't see any issues with this.

Among the committed players for future years, the young man from Belmont Hill is headed for BCHL Penticton this coming fall. He is one of two Colgate NE prep commits that are signed to play in the BCHL. Another commit from the CCHL was a USHL 5th round draft pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X