No announcement yet.

UML 2019/2020: Underclassmen Reign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who haven't heard, Bob Ellis is retiring as a full-time University employee as of this coming Tuesday. He's planning on doing one more season on the radio, so enjoy this coming season (assuming we have one)

https://www.lowellsun.com/2020/06/27...klDDw0LMBFurzI
    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

• Originally posted by ScottK View Post
      For those who haven't heard, Bob Ellis is retiring as a full-time University employee as of this coming Tuesday. He's planning on doing one more season on the radio, so enjoy this coming season (assuming we have one)

https://www.lowellsun.com/2020/06/27...klDDw0LMBFurzI
      Bob is the BEST! will really miss him.

Comment

• Once again proving ... we actually have Student-Athletes.
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• https://campusreform.org/?id=15157

I expect a few of you to justify this goose stepping. I'm going to decline from participating in alumni engagement for at least a year over this.

edit: I just submitted a FOIA request. I'm sure its a sloppy request but I'm not a lawyer. If I get thoroughly rejected I might consult one for the next request.
          Last edited by Patman; 07-02-2020, 12:07 PM.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
            https://campusreform.org/?id=15157

I expect a few of you to justify this goose stepping. I'm going to decline from participating in alumni engagement for at least a year over this.

edit: I just submitted a FOIA request. I'm sure its a sloppy request but I'm not a lawyer. If I get thoroughly rejected I might consult one for the next request.
            Well, That is an inflammatory thing to post. Kind of tough to figure out what has happened. There hasn't been a public statement from the U that I have rec'd (I am an alumnus of the program) and I haven't heard any chatter from the folks I know there- that surprises me if this truly happened the way they described. If the story is accurate, they did wrong.

However- she would have the ability to file a grievance and have it overturned- which would seem to be the correct way and professional way to deal with this. Involving an inflammatory publication before going thru proper channels is probably not the most professional thing to do as a leader in an institution. If this hppened she would have channels available to have it corrected and should use those. Then, and only then, should she bring it to the media. If she is the one who involved the publication (which I am hopeful she didn't) before using the proper channels that is wrong. Being featured in a publication like that is not the kind of baggage you want to be carrying when you deal with students.

The article reads like the Daily Mail or the National Enquirer. The language was so inflammatory it made me cringe. For the record, when you are in a leadership role in any institution you are held accountable for what you post personally. If I were teaching and posted something about the KKK they can fire me. Pretty much every contract in my profession has a clause saying if you do something that is objectionable they can terminate. As a Nurse they can also bring you up before the Board.

What I read certainly didn't come anywhere close to being objectionable but the article saying she can do what she wants is not correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

Well, That is an inflammatory thing to post. Kind of tough to figure out what has happened. There hasn't been a public statement from the U that I have rec'd (I am an alumnus of the program) and I haven't heard any chatter from the folks I know there- that surprises me if this truly happened the way they described. If the story is accurate, they did wrong.

However- she would have the ability to file a grievance and have it overturned- which would seem to be the correct way and professional way to deal with this. Involving an inflammatory publication before going thru proper channels is probably not the most professional thing to do as a leader in an institution. If this hppened she would have channels available to have it corrected and should use those. Then, and only then, should she bring it to the media. If she is the one who involved the publication (which I am hopeful she didn't) before using the proper channels that is wrong. Being featured in a publication like that is not the kind of baggage you want to be carrying when you deal with students.

The article reads like the Daily Mail or the National Enquirer. The language was so inflammatory it made me cringe. For the record, when you are in a leadership role in any institution you are held accountable for what you post personally. If I were teaching and posted something about the KKK they can fire me. Pretty much every contract in my profession has a clause saying if you do something that is objectionable they can terminate. As a Nurse they can also bring you up before the Board.

What I read certainly didn't come anywhere close to being objectionable but the article saying she can do what she wants is not correct.
              God I sure hope it was inflammatory... looks like it found the mark. Its not my job to find a more neutral reportage even if it exists. Too bad.

Your acceptance of the system and its related mandarinism is awful for a free society. You're right, campus reform chose to report in its own way and its own time.

Second, she has a broad right to say what she wants as that is academic freedom and it IS a public institution. Thankfully, you're right, it isn't a private institution where they would otherwise get away with such a railroading from a very small percentage of the population. That people face this in the modern era is quite awful and smacks of the excesses of the past. That we language police to such a degree is monstrous.

Now, she didn't support the KKK. She didn't post "its OK to be..." (and even that statement isn't racist, its just poking the metaphorical eyes of the moral busybodies who see monsters behind every hedge). She said something that is taken as a nastygram by a small set of moral busybodies and pencil pushers... a term of phase that you have to do intense political parsing to make it into a bad statement. She sinned before the morality police. This is a public university not a church and we both know she shouldn't have been fired for this. We both know in a fair society nothing close to this happens. I hope that you're not embracing such a lopsided enforcement mechanism for social change. I will do you the favor and assume you wouldn't do that.

Now, I have put in a FOIA request. I expect to be denied wholesale. I believe they will hide around things relating to personal privacy but I have asked for all records of and relating to this dean for the last 90 days and related deliberations. If I must hire a lawyer... I don't want to, but for a FOIA I will consider it. She deserves privacy due by law but UMass Lowell should not be allowed to use that as a shield... and I want no more than I am legally entitled by freedom of information laws. Personally, I think I ought to get materials informing chancellor Moloney of the situation and some preliminary email conversations in and around the issues.

I call on you to admit the university is likely in the wrong if the fact pattern is as presented and both of us will change our minds if the fact pattern becomes otherwise. I see this as an injustice and I doubt this person and I will ever agree on whom to vote for. People should not be called on to kneel towards such extremism. It is in itself injustice and injustice on injustice is not justice, it is revenge.

edit: If we had to have this conversation in any other year preceding this you know I would be in the right... this year is no different.
              Last edited by Patman; 07-03-2020, 12:06 AM.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Not a rabbit hole I'm going down on a college hockey/sports board.
                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post

God I sure hope it was inflammatory... looks like it found the mark. Its not my job to find a more neutral reportage even if it exists. Too bad.

Your acceptance of the system and its related mandarinism is awful for a free society. You're right, campus reform chose to report in its own way and its own time.

Second, she has a broad right to say what she wants as that is academic freedom and it IS a public institution. Thankfully, you're right, it isn't a private institution where they would otherwise get away with such a railroading from a very small percentage of the population. That people face this in the modern era is quite awful and smacks of the excesses of the past. That we language police to such a degree is monstrous.

Now, she didn't support the KKK. She didn't post "its OK to be..." (and even that statement isn't racist, its just poking the metaphorical eyes of the moral busybodies who see monsters behind every hedge). She said something that is taken as a nastygram by a small set of moral busybodies and pencil pushers... a term of phase that you have to do intense political parsing to make it into a bad statement. She sinned before the morality police. This is a public university not a church and we both know she shouldn't have been fired for this. We both know in a fair society nothing close to this happens. I hope that you're not embracing such a lopsided enforcement mechanism for social change. I will do you the favor and assume you wouldn't do that.

Now, I have put in a FOIA request. I expect to be denied wholesale. I believe they will hide around things relating to personal privacy but I have asked for all records of and relating to this dean for the last 90 days and related deliberations. If I must hire a lawyer... I don't want to, but for a FOIA I will consider it. She deserves privacy due by law but UMass Lowell should not be allowed to use that as a shield... and I want no more than I am legally entitled by freedom of information laws. Personally, I think I ought to get materials informing chancellor Moloney of the situation and some preliminary email conversations in and around the issues.

I call on you to admit the university is likely in the wrong if the fact pattern is as presented and both of us will change our minds if the fact pattern becomes otherwise. I see this as an injustice and I doubt this person and I will ever agree on whom to vote for. People should not be called on to kneel towards such extremism. It is in itself injustice and injustice on injustice is not justice, it is revenge.

edit: If we had to have this conversation in any other year preceding this you know I would be in the right... this year is no different.
                  Direct quote from my response-
                  If the story is accurate, they did wrong.

Living a diet of outrage is exhausting. I hope you have enough energy to sustain it. I prefer to save my outrage about stuff like this until I know what happened.

Comment

• As part of the budget cuts at the University, Pete Souris was let go as Associate Athletic Director for Communications. There are now 3 people left in the Communications department to cover all Athletics.

https://***********/PeteSouris/statu...24725945561088

"It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

As part of the budget cuts at the University, Pete Souris was let go as Associate Athletic Director for Communications. There are now 3 people left in the Communications department to cover all Athletics.

https://***********/PeteSouris/statu...24725945561088
                      This seems to make no sense. Wouldn't you want to keep the media? The way things are going the only way we are going to see the team is thru the media cov'g.

Comment

This seems to make no sense. Wouldn't you want to keep the media? The way things are going the only way we are going to see the team is thru the media cov'g.
                        At the start of last season, they had 6 people, with 2 open slots that never got filled. 1 person left during the year, Bob Ellis retired, and Pete was let go. From what I've been told, a lot of other people in the Athletic Dept were let go as well, due to "budget cuts". Assuming there is a season, for any sport, things will be a bit difficult.

Comment

At the start of last season, they had 6 people, with 2 open slots that never got filled. 1 person left during the year, Bob Ellis retired, and Pete was let go. From what I've been told, a lot of other people in the Athletic Dept were let go as well, due to "budget cuts". Assuming there is a season, for any sport, things will be a bit difficult.
                          Agree. There were cuts. The whole school is financially hurting with decreased capacity for dorms, in person classes, meals, ability to rent out the spaces. You would think you would want to promote to hold the advertisers that you have. With cuts, if anything happens the coverage will be rudimentary at best. With little content I imagine there will be less interest in sponsoring. Not smart planning looking in from the outside. (just guessing, I have no idea how that would work)
                          Last edited by leswp1; 07-10-2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• Already the content on the website seems to have slowed. I am sorry they didn't put up an article about Bob. I know he plans to continue calling hockey but he did cover other things. After all those yrs of tireless cov'g I was surprised. He would sometimes cover 4+ events, take photos and write articles all in one day. I don't have twitter. Maybe they put something up on that?

Comment

Already the content on the website seems to have slowed. I am sorry they didn't put up an article about Bob. I know he plans to continue calling hockey but he did cover other things. After all those yrs of tireless cov'g I was surprised. He would sometimes cover 4+ events, take photos and write articles all in one day. I don't have twitter. Maybe they put something up on that?
                              They did put something on Twitter and also a video on YouTube (https://youtu.be/SbYWHG2Ekw4)

Comment

• Lowell Sun article: River Hawks excited about incoming freshmen.
                                https://www.lowellsun.com/2020/07/11...ming-freshmen/

Six players coming in (Matt Allen, Andranik Armstrong-Kingkade, Ben Meehan, Jackson Sterrett, Brehdan Engum and Henry Welsch). Norm said there’s a chance one additional player may join the incoming group and UAH transfer, Joe Latta, will be eligible to play this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X