X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• j24vt
    replied
    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

Best game I've seen UVM play this season. Nice effort on the back check to slow down Providence. I thought Dzhioshvili should have gotten the first star. Dzhioshvili /Boyko/Bouquot is going to be a fun line to watch next year.

The defense stepped up big after losing Evers in the first period to an unfortunate circumstance. A Providence player fell as Evers was hitting him going into the corner. Left the game and was in a sling in the stands for the 3rd period. No way for Evers to pull up from hitting.

I hope they keep the Connolly jerseys for the rest of the season

Leave a comment:

• j24vt
    replied

Get to watch Rolston coach tonight

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyFanClub
    replied

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
    Such a long shot, but we can dream. Recruiting would be instantly through the roof. St. Louis, with Torrey Mitchel and Peter Lenes assisting. I’d pay just to watch the practices.
    this worked out real well for Wisconsin

Leave a comment:

• VTALUM
    replied
    Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    Interesting. I'm surprised to see St. Louis discussed as a possibility. I've never seen him discussed as a possible replacement, except by the UVM fans on this board. He's coached youth hockey and, of course, played under many talented coaches. How hard would it be to transfer that to a D1 head coach position? I don't know, I think it's certainly possible. I also think it would be a huge boon to recruiting. What young kid wouldn't be super impressed to have the legendary Martin St. Louis tell him "You're my guy. I want you, no check that, I need you at UVM!" It's a definite long shot, but it is an interesting possibility.
    Such a long shot, but we can dream. Recruiting would be instantly through the roof. St. Louis, with Torrey Mitchel and Peter Lenes assisting. I’d pay just to watch the practices.

Leave a comment:

• j24vt
    replied

Interesting. I'm surprised to see St. Louis discussed as a possibility. I've never seen him discussed as a possible replacement, except by the UVM fans on this board. He's coached youth hockey and, of course, played under many talented coaches. How hard would it be to transfer that to a D1 head coach position? I don't know, I think it's certainly possible. I also think it would be a huge boon to recruiting. What young kid wouldn't be super impressed to have the legendary Martin St. Louis tell him "You're my guy. I want you, no check that, I need you at UVM!" It's a definite long shot, but it is an interesting possibility.
    St Louis was doing some special teams consulting/coaching last year for the Columbus Blue Jackets

Leave a comment:

• UVM Cat in Texas
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NYCatamount89
    replied

The options seem pretty obvious. Hopefully we start to hear about interviews happening soon. Barr, Mayotte, Ellsworth, Lang would all make a ton of sense and I bet they would be interested. UVM is a great first job. I wouldn't mind if they reach out to Ducharme or Ron Rolston, but there is no way they'd be interested. Marty St. Louis is my favorite hockey player ever, but I don't want him anywhere near this job. Great player does not equal great coach. In fact, often great players make the worst coaches. He has no coaching experience and he hasn't been around college hockey since he played here. Torrey Mitchell as an Asst. Coach would be great, but they need someone with more experience for the head coaching job.

Really hoping the team can get a win before the season is over. I feel for the players, Lekkas most of all.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie Catamount
    replied

Yeah, and I wouldn't want someone who might be in line for the Minnesota job. UVM's a good job, but Minny's better, especially for an alum and a mid-westerner. We need someone who rightfully sees UVM as a top tier job and won't jump ship. I can see Eric Lang or Ben Barr fitting that profile.
    Fair points, and I was speaking to the point that Potulny is doing what he's doing at NMU with likely less resources than what UVM has. His and Lang's profile are desirable I think. Last I saw his salary is near 3 times lower than Sneddon's. But only looking for candidates who will see UVM as a lifetime job is bad business I think. It's nice if they can and personally I would love to see someone who wins here for a long long time but I understand that's not always the case. Being an alum didn't stop Carvel from leaving St. Lawrence for UMass a program you could argue had less prestige and stuff going for it that St. Lawrence did at the time. St. Lawrence's fault they messed up the hire afterwards.

To me I look at it like basketball and how they handled after Tom Brennan. They brought in someone who was using it to get to a better job and stayed around for like 7 years I think and kept the winning going that it went so well when he left UVM had a ready assistant in Becker who has now kept the results going and maybe even a hire level than Lonergan did. If Becker leaves they have Cieplicki to promote from within. Similar to what Union did to keep its momentum going with Leaman to Bennett. I would say that probably has a lot to do with keeping a winning culture alive from the entire coaches to the players. If they bring in someone who even after 4-5 years gets the hockey team back to respectability and then leaves for a better job to me that is fine with me because it's better when they found it. That's why I wouldn't be against taking someone who might covet another job of Minnesota's caliber because I'd know in order to get it they have to do really well here.
    Last edited by Charlie Catamount; 02-12-2020, 02:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Catamount93
    replied

Let's not get crazy here. UVM is a solid job, but no matter who we hire if they do well and get offered a Minnesota level job they are G-O-N-E gone.......

Leave a comment:

• UVM Cat in Texas
    replied

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Potulny is from ND, played at Minny and coaching at NMU. Midwest guy. Couldn't see him jumping to UVM when he has a good thing going at Northern. Might be in line for the Minnesota job down the line as well.
    Yeah, and I wouldn't want someone who might be in line for the Minnesota job. UVM's a good job, but Minny's better, especially for an alum and a mid-westerner. We need someone who rightfully sees UVM as a top tier job and won't jump ship. I can see Eric Lang or Ben Barr fitting that profile.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Potulny is from ND, played at Minny and coaching at NMU. Midwest guy. Couldn't see him jumping to UVM when he has a good thing going at Northern. Might be in line for the Minnesota job down the line as well.

Leave a comment:

• UVM Cat in Texas
    replied

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
    I am just really hoping Schulman is doing his homework and casting a large net to get this right.
    Schulman could still be considering Joey Gasparini. My thinking:
    --It's how they were able to bag Joey's nephew Mario Gasparini.
    --He's a UVM guy, having played and coached at UVM.
    --He's got assistant coaching experience at multiple Hockey East schools.
    --He's apparently been selling insurance, so even at a reduced Sneddon salary, he'll happily take the job.
    --He can easily bundle Schulman's auto and homeowners insurance, thus providing a significant savings on premiums.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie Catamount
    replied

I was poking around that Elite Prospects website looking at some old Frozen Four and national title teams trying to find their coaching staffs after the person here said someone from a past Frozen Four and I came across someone I think would be an interesting person to look at. Dan Muse who is currently an assistant with the Nashville Predators. He was on Yale's staff with Red Gendron for their national title team and it looks like he has plenty of connections to Vermont too. He went to Vermont Academy before playing hockey at Stonehill and his sister worked there. Also his brother in law is a former Yale player from Norwich Vt or Hanover nearly the same thing, whose sister is Olympic gold medalist Hannah Kearney.

He's 37 had stops at Williams, Sacred Heart, Yale and was head coach of Chicago Steel in USHL where he won the title in that league before joining Nashville as an assistant https://www.eliteprospects.com/staff/2063/dan-muse

If not him his old boss Peter Laviolette is also available!

I would really like it to not be a Rico Blasi (who I think is one of Sneddon's friends so you have to wonder if he'd take the job from his friend) or Seth Appert type and would much prefer the likes of Lang or Potulny if we're talking current head coaches in the college ranks. I am just really hoping Schulman is doing his homework and casting a large net to get this right.

Leave a comment:

• ICECAT1811
    replied

Hey UVM..what ever happened to Thomas Aldsworth?? He has high end talent and was an explosive skater for Quinnipiac for a couple of years. He transferred to UVM and sat out last year and is eligible this year. Not sure why he transferred out but he obviously was in Q staff's doghouse at the end. He was a healthy scratch often his final year and they needed his scoring ability. He would have been on your 1st line this year no doubt. He has a tremendous amount of raw ability and great 1V1 going to the net with speed. He's not on your roster?
    Last edited by ICECAT1811; 02-12-2020, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X